Director of Development, Peace & Justice Religious Nonprofit
- Pendle Hill
- Pennsylvania, United States
- $79,000.00 - $90,000.00
- Closing date
- Apr 28, 2023
- Position Type
- Fundraising, Alumni Affairs, Annual Fund, Direct Marketing, Donor Relations, Fundraising Administration, Grant Seeking, Major Gifts, Planned Giving, Prospect Research, Other Fundraising, Programs, Grant Administration, Administrative, Office Administration
- Arts, Community Development, Education, Environment, Other Fields, Religion
- Employment Type
- Full Time
PENDLE HILL is a Quaker study, retreat, and conference center located on 24 beautiful acres in unceded Lenni-Lenape territory. We are a mission-driven organization that seeks to create peace with justice in the world by transforming lives through learning opportunities, retreat, and community created on our campus and in virtual settings. We work to be inclusive, respectful, and supportive of all people, striving for peace and justice.
This is a highly collaborative staff community featuring responsive leadership and many community-building opportunities, like biannual staff retreats for fun, growth, and connection, monthly fun activities as part of staff meeting, and the opportunity to serve on various committees. We also have monthly community work mornings, which provide variety with the opportunity to lend a hand on another team’s project or lead one for staff in your own work area. Learn more about Pendle Hill at https://pendlehill.org/.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Director of Development (DoD) is responsible for Pendle Hill’s fund development: overseeing major gifts, planned giving, foundation grants, and annual fund program. The DoD sets development strategy in consultation with the executive director in order to grow the base of support for Pendle Hill across all categories of giving.
The DoD is a member of Pendle Hill’s senior Administrative Team and as such contributes to the leadership of Pendle Hill as a whole. Pendle Hill’s fund development is integrally linked with its education programs and marketing efforts. The DoD works closely with the Executive Director, fellow department directors, and the Communications and Outreach Coordinator to implement effective communications and engagement with our constituents. The DoD also works closely with the Executive Director and Director of Finance to ensure clear articulation of revenue-building strategies for our 501(c)(3) organization.
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
SUPERVISEES: Annual Fund Officer, Advancement Associate, grants consultant
TIME & LOCATION EXPECTATIONS: This is a full-time, exempt position, which is eligible for a partial remote-work schedule of up to two days per week. Out of respect for work-life balance, “full-time” at Pendle Hill is 37.5 hours per week, with 7.5-hour typical workdays. Work will include occasional evenings and weekends as well as time spent in travel. Full-time staff at Pendle Hill spend a few work hours each week contributing to the community through mealtime, housekeeping, or maintenance work.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: $79,000 – 90,000 yearly salary depending on experience, plus benefits including: medical, dental and life insurance, a retirement plan with 2% employer match, generous paid vacation days (20), sick days (15), and holidays (11), and the opportunity to take Pendle Hill courses for free. Additional benefits include one meal a day from the Pendle Hill Kitchen (free to staff except for the tax), a 20% employee discount at the Pendle Hill Bookstore, free copies of all Pendle Hill pamphlets upon publication, a beautiful campus with walking trails and fellowship with people from around the world. Full-time staff are eligible for competitively priced on-campus housing (depending on availability, and at Pendle Hill’s discretion. Pendle Hill housing is pet-free).
KEY PRIORITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee annual contributed revenue through major donor solicitation, planned giving, foundation grants, and direct mail fundraising;
- Support and partner with the Executive Director and governing Board on fund development initiatives; design and implement long-range fund development strategies and planning; support the Advancement Committee of the Board;
- Supervise and mentor development team members; manage consultants;
- Assume primary responsibility for all funding proposals and initiatives;
- Ensure effective cultivation and stewardship of donors;
A full list of responsibilities can be found in the Job Description, including specific responsibilities related to annual fund, major gifts, foundation grants, administration, and governance.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, speaking, and listening;
- A minimum of five years’ experience in fundraising in a 501(c)(3) or other non-profit organization;
- Demonstrated success in all stages of the fundraising process including personal face-to-face solicitation with major gift prospects (from the scheduling of a first meeting to the cultivation and solicitation of five and six-figure commitments);
- Experience in securing planned gifts and a good working knowledge of planned gift vehicles;
- Understanding of basic accounting and the legal requirements of gift accounting and administration;
- Track record of setting and achieving ambitious goals with strong ability to break down goals into component pieces;
- A disposition for accuracy and detail, including the ability to design data metrics and analyze results that will inform fundraising strategy;
- Demonstrated good judgement, professionalism, and the highest standards of ethical conduct. Ability to maintain confidentiality;
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills, including the ability to coordinate a number of projects simultaneously;
- Current driver’s license and willingness to drive to visit constituents;
- College degree.
- Competence in using Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge or similar database;
- Strong team management skills: Demonstrated effective supervision with an understanding of and appreciation for consultative decision making;
- Experience with setting revenue budgets of at least $500,000;
- Experience with the Religious Society of Friends or Pendle Hill, and the ability to engage in conversations that reflect a personal appreciation for the traditions and offerings of both.
EXPECTATIONS OF ALL PENDLE HILL EMPLOYEES:
- A highly welcoming attitude and willingness to provide hospitality for members of, and visitors to, the Pendle Hill community. Openness to a wide range of spiritual beliefs and experiences, cultural backgrounds and practices, and differences (of all kinds).
- A commitment to abiding by all Pendle Hill policies, including maintaining a fragrance-free campus.
NONDISCRIMINATION POLICY: Pendle Hill appoints individuals without discrimination based on color, ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, class, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, ancestry, ability, marital status, domestic partnership or civil union status, religious affiliation, or any other category protected by law. Pendle Hill recognizes that some of these categories are social constructs, not rooted in science. Our aim is to be inclusive and affirming.
Pendle Hill staff are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, except for those who cannot receive the vaccine for medical or religious reasons.
Pendle Hill is not able to sponsor a work visa for international applicants at this time.
BACKGROUND CHECKS: Pendle Hill will conduct a background check for all candidates prior to hire.
INTERESTED? Please submit the following items to Hannah Mayer, at email@example.com, with “Director of Development” and your last name in the email subject line:
- a current resume,
- a cover letter that includes how you heard about the position, why you want to be considered and your qualifications (applications received without a cover letter will not be considered).
Review of applications will take place on a rolling basis with priority given to those that are received before Monday May 15, 2023. The anticipated start date is August 1, 2023 or earlier, if desired by the candidate.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert