Donor Communications Associate
- ClimateWorks Foundation
- California, United States
- $70,000.00 - $83,000.00
- Closing date
- Apr 28, 2023
- Position Type
- Programs, Other Programs
- Employment Type
- Full Time
ClimateWorks Foundation is a global organization committed to our mission: to end the climate crisis by amplifying the power of philanthropy. Since our founding in 2008, we have awarded over $1.3 billion in grants to more than 600 organizations advancing climate solutions around the world. We helped grow the field of climate philanthropy to where it stands today, establishing infrastructure, global networks, and momentum for continued growth. Through our Global Programs and Services, we equip philanthropy with global knowledge, networks, and solutions to drive climate progress.
- Scaling solutions: Our collaborative Global Programs — focused on solution areas including carbon dioxide removal, cooling, industry, transportation, and more — produce results that are bending the greenhouse gas emissions curve. From the U.S. to Europe, China, Brazil, and beyond, we collaborate with a diverse community of funders, NGOs, and climate leaders to accelerate just and equitable climate solutions.
- Guiding and supporting funders: Our Global Services provide funders with comprehensive resources to assess, build, evolve, and execute high-impact climate-giving strategies. Our Global Intelligence service equips funders and the climate community with climate insights to pinpoint opportunities for impact and philanthropic insights to help identify investment priorities. We facilitate Global Collaborations that enable funders to increase individual and collective impact. Our Global Grantmaking services enable funders to invest in climate solutions around the world.
- Fostering collaboration, exploration, and growth: Our collaborative approach and commitment to learning ensures that we continuously explore innovative ideas and emerging opportunities — all with the aim of scaling philanthropy-supported initiatives to help end the climate crisis.
As experts in climate science, public policy, economic and social analysis, and strategic philanthropy, ClimateWorks’ staff understands the multi-faceted challenges and opportunities of climate change. We are researchers, strategists, collaborators, and grantmakers who care passionately about our mission. For more information, please visit www.climateworks.org.
About our Team
Climate change is one of the defining issues of our time – impacting our health, our safety and our livelihoods now and for generations to come. Despite growing awareness and increased public mobilization on this issue, we are not yet on track to contain this threat. But we can be. Humanity has the solutions and the pathways to end this crisis, and collectively we can make this decade be the one for climate action.
Sounds compelling? We think so too. The Marketing and Communications team at ClimateWorks Foundation has a key role to play in building awareness, generating funder interest, and promoting philanthropic collaborations that can help end the climate crisis. We’re a mighty team, working to expand the organization’s impact, outreach, and engagement to funders, partners, and grantees globally.
About the Job
The ClimateWorks Foundation is looking for a creative, thoughtful, and organized candidate passionate about fund development and communications. Situated within the Marketing & Communications department, but working extremely closely with and in support of the Development team, the Donor Communications Associate will provide critical support to the fundraising goals of the foundation. You will help develop compelling materials that speak directly to current and prospective funders, while also helping shape and implement a broad donor cultivation calendar to better steward our donors throughout the year, and taking on the administrative duties that makes this work possible.
This role is highly collaborative. In this role you will be asked to partner with our programs and services teams, external partners and vendors, and your teammates in our communications team to deliver on projects. Your ability to execute, plan effectively, and manage competing priorities and deadlines will help us actualize the strategies and creativity needed to help maintain and grow our funder base.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Content Creation & Donor Cultivation
- Work in collaboration with the Development department to help create highly bespoke materials or scalable templates for funder meetings, events, and presentations. Examples include brief 2-pagers, slide decks, and stewardship reports.
- Assist in the production and execution of a yearly donor cultivation calendar. Work with Development to ensure list integrity for cultivation outreach, and help execute a funder segmentation approach to email cultivation.
- Provide editorial support for the Development department’s concept notes, proposals, and reports; including copyediting and ensuring materials are brand-aligned.
- Assist in the creation, maintenance, and training for continued implementation of department-wide template systems and shared resources for quick-turn proposals and informational materials.
- Own the creation of the ClimateWorks Annual Report.
- Lead the content development of a funder-specific web page.
- Support the execution of donor cultivation events, both virtual and in-person, including planning logistics and day-of support like managing invitation lists and RSVPs, preparation of attendee bios, and event collateral.
Team Building & Collaboration
- Work with the Donor Communications Manager to help build standards, processes, and protocols for the small but growing Donor Communications team.
- Participate in both the Marketing & Communications and Development team meetings as a cooperative, positive team player.
- Help build the presence and reputation of Donor Communications as highly effective and collaborative across the organization.
- 3+ years of experience, with at least two years of experience specifically in nonprofit fundraising or philanthropy, including responsibility in annual fund, major gifts, or other individual giving or institutional giving settings.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication and presentation skills.
- Strong organizational skills. Ability to develop long-term plans, set objectives, and track progress towards achieving objectives.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and multiple, overlapping deadlines.
- Ability to foresee development needs, anticipate the needs of teammates and managers, and multitask efficiently.
- Proficiency in and experience with various design and document creation tools like Canva and Google Suite (Google Docs and Google Slides).
- Familiarity working with Salesforce and Pardot, or other CRMs and email platforms.
- Familiarity with Asana, or other project management tools.
- Familiarity working with external vendors such as graphic designers and event planners.
- Familiarity with the concepts of moves management preferred.
- Knowledge and interest in climate change, climate policy, and other relevant fields.
ClimateWorks offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience (geographic differential applied based on location).
Salary Range: $70,000 - $83,000 annually ***ClimateWorks strives to create an equitable culture of transparency and fairness.
ClimateWorks Foundation is based in the San Francisco Financial District. This position is classified as US Flexible. Exceptional candidates can work from the SF office or from other US locations, geographic differential applied to compensation based on local cost of labor.
Some travel required for in-person team retreats, events, etc.
Commitment to Racial and Social Justice
At ClimateWorks Foundation, we are driven by our vision of creating a thriving planet for all living beings for generations to come. We aim to foster an inclusive workplace that values diverse lived experiences and emphasizes the voices of marginalized people — especially Black, Indigenous, and People of Color — who are most vulnerable to climate impacts, and whose voices, ideas, and leadership are crucial to winning the climate fight.
To ensure that we are making meaningful progress, we have made a set of diversity, equity, and inclusion commitments across all dimensions of our work to further our mission and realize our vision. For more information, please visit: Fostering Racial and Social Justice in Pursuit of our MissionEqual Employment Opportunity
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at ClimateWorks Foundation and as such we are committed to creating a diverse and multi-cultural work environment. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race (including traits historically associated with race), ethnicity, religion, color, sex (including childbirth, breast feeding, and related medical conditions), gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, uniform service member and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, age, protected medical condition, genetic information, disability, or any other protected status in accordance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws.
This policy extends to all aspects of our employment practices including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, discipline, termination, promotions, transfers, compensation, benefits, training, leaves of absence, and other terms and conditions of employment.
ClimateWorks Foundation is committed to complying with all laws protecting qualified individuals with disabilities, as well as employees’ religious beliefs and practices. This policy extends to all aspects of our employment practices including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, discipline, termination, promotions, transfers, compensation, benefits, training, leaves of absence, and other terms and conditions of employment. ClimateWorks Foundation will provide a reasonable accommodation for any known physical or mental disability of a qualified individual and/or employees’ religious beliefs and practices, as required by law.
If you require an accommodation, please notify Human Resources. Once ClimateWorks Foundation is aware of the need for an accommodation, it will engage in an interactive process to identify possible accommodations.Application Process
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. To be considered for this position, interested candidates must submit a resume and cover letter. This position will remain open until filled.
Employment at the ClimateWorks Foundation is at-will.Benefits ClimateWorks offers an excellent benefits package: Healthcare Plans:
Multiple options available through Kaiser & UHC
- HMO - 100% coverage for employee and dependents
- POS - Employee pays difference beyond HMO coverage (3 out of 4 POS options are at 100% coverage for employee and dependents)
- Dental –100% coverage for employee and dependents
- Vision – 100% coverage for employee and dependents
- Fertility care through Carrot Fertility. Access to on-demand doctor-approved content, pregnancy support, and virtual chats with medical, legal, and regulatory experts.
Disability Benefit (long and short-term)
Life Insurance (3x base salary up to $750k for employee only)
- 20 days (1st year)
- 25 days (2nd - 8th year)
- 30 days (9th year)
- 11 Observed and 2 floating
- After 6 months of service, CWF automatically contributes 9% of gross earnings per pay period to retirement fund*
- After 6 months of service, CWF matches 100% of employee contributions up to a max of 6% of gross earnings per pay period*
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert