Report Writer & Editor
- Rainforest Trust
- Virginia, United States
- Salary Commensurate with experience
- Closing date
- Apr 28, 2023
- Position Type
- Programs, Grant Making
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Position Title: Report Writer & Editor
Location: Warrenton, VA/Remote USA
Salary: Commensurate with Skills & Experience
Status: Full-time, salaried, exempt
Reports to: Institutional Giving Manager
Note: A cover letter, resume, and a writing sample (no more than 3 pages) is required to be considered for this position. Please upload a copy of each.
Since 1988, Rainforest Trust has been safeguarding imperiled tropical habitats and saving endangered species by establishing protected areas in partnership with local organizations and communities. With our partners, we have protected more than 45 million acres of vital habitat across Latin America, Africa, Asia and the Pacific. Rainforest Trust is a 501c3 nonprofit organization that relies upon the generous support of the public to successfully implement our important conservation action.
The Report Writer & Editor position is responsible for communicating impact through reporting to individual, corporate, and foundation donors.
Reporting to the Institutional Giving Manager, the Report Writer & Editor prepares, submits, and tracks reports to foundation or corporate donors; drafts impact reports to support the stewardship of major funders to the organization; and provides overall editorial and writing support to the Philanthropy team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Report Writer & Editor is responsible for the following primary job responsibilities and essential functions:
- Creates detailed, readable, and compelling mid-term and final reports for institutional funders.
- Abides by and contributes to the institutional funding calendar ensuring that all reports are submitted on schedule.
- Works closely with the Institutional Giving Manager to manage the reporting process for the SAVES Challenge (2x year), collaborating with the Conservation and Finance departments to ensure data integrity.
- Prepares high quality, unique impact reports for major donors (individual, foundation, and corporate) as requested. Recycles this information for use by gift officers when possible.
- Edits/proofreads materials for the Philanthropy and Conservation departments as needed.
- Collaborates with the Conservation department to produce the highest quality of donor update data in the database.
- Collaborates with the Finance department on grants accounting and financial reporting to ensure compliance with the terms and conditions of the award and compile/provide grant paperwork for the audit if requested.
- Records report activities in current customer relationship management tool; maintain electronic copies of all submissions on the shared drive.
- Maintains a positive relationship with funding agencies, collaborating organizations and internal staff.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Able to clearly express complex ideas in written form; skilled at adapting language, format and style for various media and audiences.
- Understands that no task is too small and every word and sentence plays an important part in a larger narrative.
- Able to break down and synthesize a wide array of materials to extract the most compelling, salient points to help Rainforest Trust clarify its messaging and communications.
- Organized; ability to manage workflow; a self-starter.
- Attention to detail, strong editing, proofreading, research, and grammar skills, including ability to detect and correct errors.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Proven success in organizing work, managing and tracking multiple projects, meeting strict deadlines, and setting priorities.
- Excellent computer skills. Experience using a fundraising database and proficiency in Microsoft Office and G-suite.
- Demonstrate discretion and sensitivity in handling confidential information.
- Work effectively with and through others to foster collaboration and cooperation and in a manner that is effective, diplomatic, honest and sensitive.
- Commitment and enthusiasm for Rainforest Trust's mission and respect for our core values: Nature & People; Efficiency; Transparency; Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion; Partnerships & Collaboration; Science & Innovation.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- 5 years of relevant experience in communications, marketing, grant writing, and/or journalism.
- Specific knowledge and/or experience with conservation and/or grants management desired.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Rainforest Trust is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the principles of diversity. Our organization recruits, hires, trains, and promotes individuals, as well as administers any and all personnel actions, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Working Conditions and Travel Requirements
The Report Writer & Editor may choose to work from home, at our office in Warrenton, VA or mix the two. Remote work requires reliable internet access.
Occasional national and/or international travel may be required for organizational meetings and other events.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by a teammate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to remain in a stationary position at a computer terminal for an extended period. The person in this position frequently communicates with colleagues both verbally and in writing and must be able to exchange accurate, neat and thorough information.
The salary range for this position is $52,000- $65,000 commensurate with experience. This base compensation range represents the anticipated low and high range of wages for this position. Actual salaries will vary and will be based on various factors, such as candidate's qualifications, skills, competencies, and proficiency for the role. Information on other benefits may be found on our Careers Page.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert