Reports to: Senior Director, Institutional
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full time;
Nonunion - Level 4
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week,
Washington, D.C., office)
Reporting to the Senior Director of Institutional Giving, the
Corporate and Labor Relations Manager is an important member of the
Development team and will help support American Progress’
Institutional Giving team. The Corporate and Labor Relations
Manager will hold a portfolio of 100 to 150 corporate and labor
prospects, targeting five- and six-figure prospects, principally to
support American Progress’ Business Alliance. The ideal candidate
will have significant experience as a front-line fundraiser,
demonstrated success with corporate solicitations, and strong
This position is ideal for a dynamic, results-driven, and
well-organized development professional who is committed to a
progressive policy agenda and to American Progress’ mission to
improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive
ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the
aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the
country. In addition, this position will support the
organization’s five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health
The Development team works with program staff at both the Center
for American Progress, a 501(c)(3) organization, and the Center for
American Progress Action Fund, a 501(c)(4) organization, to
fundraise for support of American Progress’ priorities and bold
- Secure corporate gifts at the five- and six-figure level.
- Develop and manage a portfolio of 100 to 150 corporate donors
- Work with the Communications department and the Events team to
develop Business Alliance correspondence and events.
- Manage systems and software to track and cultivate donors and
prospects, including our donor database and wealth-screening
- Work with the Development team to align efforts and set
- Create and implement moves management plans.
- Acknowledge corporate donors through public and private
- Track and report progress using specific metrics.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, or equivalent experience
- Minimum of three to five years of relevant work experience,
including at least three years of front-line fundraising and
working with corporate donors.
- Demonstrated success managing a five- and six-figure portfolio
of corporate supporters.
- Demonstrated work experience and donor contacts in
- A proven track record in fundraising from corporations.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial ability to develop alliances and
coordinate shared interests of all parties.
- Excellent problem-solving skills designed to meet the
challenges of the organization.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with
considerable experience in writing and presenting information to a
variety of audiences.
- Ability to use data and CRM systems to set fundraising strategy
and priorities, measure outcomes, and drive superior
- Knowledge of various progressive philanthropic and political
sectors including racial equity, rights, justice, international
affairs, public health, education, or democracy is desirable.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and prospect research skills.
- Strong interpersonal, mediation, and facilitation skills.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask in a fast-paced
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a
- Familiarity with 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) regulations is a
- Ability to work additional hours as needed to meet deadlines
and manage workflow.
- Support for American Progress’ mission and commitment to a
broad progressive agenda.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits
package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly
encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union.
The ideally qualified candidate’s salary starts at $75,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community
spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes
to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time
of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs