Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate
change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people
like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit
with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30
countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate
pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the
effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can
have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to
governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment
to diversity, equity and inclusion make EDF an
exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a
difference. Won’t you join us?
Location: West Coast only Overall Function
This is a unique opportunity for a development professional with
success in individual major gifts fundraising to become part of the
development team at one of the nation’s premier environmental
The Major Gifts Officer will be part of an international
development team responsible for generating over $81 million in
annual major gifts, with plans to double that amount in the coming
years. This position will be responsible for managing a portfolio
of around 150 donors and prospects. Working closely with
senior professionals in the development department and program
staff, the Major Gifts Officer is expected to identify, cultivate,
solicit, and steward individuals in support of Environmental
Defense Fund’s national and international agenda.
The Major Gifts Officer will report to the Senior Director of
- Execute a strategic plan for increasing the revenue generated
from donors in portfolio with a concentration on six figure
- Assist in setting and meeting annual income goals for major
gifts prospects in portfolio.
- Design and implement overall engagement and fundraising
strategies as part of the development team, in order to continue
the exponential growth of revenue coming from individual
- Identify, cultivate and steward major gifts prospects with an
identified gift level of $25,000 and up.
- Qualify prospects and determine whether appropriate for major
- Meet one-on-one with prospects/donors and coordinate program
staff and volunteers in the cultivation and solicitation of major
- Staff meetings and appropriately brief program staff for
- Effectively represent and articulate the work of EDF,
presenting a compelling case for support of the organization.
- Stay abreast of changes and innovations in federal and state
tax laws that may be relevant to major gifts prospects.
- Oversee the drafting and editing of proposals and reports for
potential donors, working closely with the donor communications
department to ensure there are compelling, visionary program ideas
to present to donors and prospects.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all
backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered
to address the environmental and organizational challenges in
alignment with EDF values.
- Assist other development officers on special projects or
efforts that contribute to the organization’s large development
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Demonstrated success as a front-line fundraiser.
- Well-honed skills in developing donor cultivation and
- A commitment to Environmental Defense Fund’s mission and
- Outstanding interpersonal skills; a high level of comfort with
direct donor interaction, including discussions of personal and
- Well-developed communication skills, including excellent
writing ability and public speaking skills.
- Knowledge of and ability to use fundraising databases.
- Creativity, energy, confidence, and integrity. High level of
discretion and respect for donor privacy.
- Initiative and independence combined with the ability to work
well as part of team.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and
inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders
across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university.
- A valid driver’s license and ability to drive.
- Willingness to travel out of state.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive
salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities
consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account
factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal
team equity and local norms.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result,
the stated currency is not meant be converted into any
$90,000 - $100,000 USD/Yr.
How to Apply
Please submit your Resume and Cover Letter on our careers site