Bryant Group is proud to partner with the Montana State
University Alumni Foundation to recruit the next Foundation
President and CEO/Vice President, University Advancement
The Montana State University Alumni Foundation seeks a
collaborative, strategic and visionary leader to serve as the next
President & CEO. Reporting to the MSU Alumni Foundation's Board
of Governors, the President & CEO oversees the management of
the MSU Alumni Foundation's $232 million endowment and is
responsible for 60+ employees of the Alumni Foundation, engaging
16,000 constituents annually, and the development efforts that
secure approximately $40 million annually for Montana State
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of
building strong relationships with campus leadership and fostering
a collaborative environment in a university-affiliated foundation
and/or alumni association. The new hire must have at least seven
years of experience in a senior management role. Experience in both
fundraising and alumni engagement is preferred.
Established as an independent 501(c)(3) private nonprofit
corporation in 1946, the Montana State University Alumni Foundation
is the institutionally related foundation of Montana State
University. As a private, nonprofit entity, the Alumni Foundation's
mission is to cultivate lifelong relationships and secure private
support to advance Montana State University. The Alumni Foundation
successfully utilizes a consolidated model that combines the
traditional fundraising foundation and the alumni
Founded in 1893 as a Land Grant University, Montana State
University enjoys worldwide respect and is the state's largest
university, enrolling a 2022 student population of 16,688 students.
With more than $200 million in research expenditures annually, the
university conducts more research than all other public and private
entities in Montana combined. It is one of only 146 higher
education institutions to receive an R1 designation for very high
research activity by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of
Higher Education. The university offers over 250 undergraduate and
115 graduate degrees including through Gallatin College MSU, which
offers more than 20 one- and two-year workforce degrees and
certificates to meet the interests of students and the workforce
needs of southwest Montana. Through MSU Extension, the university
reaches the people and communities of all 56 of Montana's counties
with programs and information.
Essential Job Functions (included but not limited to)
- Develop and disseminate deep knowledge of the university, its
strategic plan, academic, research and outreach programs and its
- Grow a successful, collaborative working partnership with the
university's president and leadership team, ensuring alignment
between the Alumni Foundation and university on fundraising
strategy, priorities and other issues.
- Understand the organizational vision and mission and create a
strategic framework for the long-term success of the Alumni
Foundation's support of the university.
- Monitor and nimbly adapt to the changing needs of the
university and external factors affecting the success of the
- Achieve financial success by meeting annual fundraising and
budget goals, ensuring the Alumni Foundation's financial stability
and ability to provide long-term support to the
- Assure the security and accuracy of financial and constituent
- Manage Alumni Foundation operations by developing and
monitoring priorities and key objectives consistent with the
strategic direction of the university and the Alumni
- Provide growth and development opportunities for the Alumni
Foundation leadership team and staff.
- Understand and manage the business needs of the Alumni
Foundation, including staffing, systems and processes.
Communication and Relationship Building
- Provide direction for building relationships with university
stakeholders, including nonprofit affiliates of the university,
donors, alumni, friends of the university and state decision makers
through various media, programs and events to grow
- Build relationships and coordinate fundraising with nonprofit
MSU affiliates such as the Museum of the Rockies, Montana PBS and
the MSU Bobcat Club.
- Support and participate in comprehensive engagement efforts
with donors, alumni, parents and friends of the
- Support 12 Alumni Charter Chapters in Montana and across the U.
S. and the Alumni Advocate Network that works to keep communities
and state decision makers informed about issues important to the
Development and Fundraising
- Direct fundraising through annual, major and planned giving and
- Potentially, manage a personal portfolio of major and principal
gift prospects in support of the university's highest fundraising
Board of Governors
- Support robust governance and compliance programs.
- Assure complete and accurate external and internal
- Provide an ample pipeline of qualified board candidates for
service to the Alumni Foundation and university.
- Assist the board chair in managing the activities of the board,
including developing meeting agendas, clarifying governance issues,
planning and executing board meetings and board-related
- Report on strategic and business results
The successful candidate will sustain and enhance the culture of
performance-based management and accountability, career
development, integrity, respect and appropriate recognition and
will maintain the highest ethical standards when dealing with
staff, donors, alumni and the community.
- Baccalaureate degree with an advanced degree
- Seven or more years of progressive success in a senior
management role, preferably in a public university-affiliated
foundation and/or alumni association. Experience in both
fundraising and alumni engagement is preferred.
- Proven track record of ethical and strategic leadership,
collaborative planning and problem-solving and positive program and
- Business acumen, including experience managing and implementing
multi-department budgets; understanding of proper nonprofit
- Senior management experience in the planning and execution of a
comprehensive fundraising campaign.
- Executive experience with developing and implementing business
- Ability to inspire others through strong verbal, written and
interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to form strong relationships evidenced by effective
collaboration with the university's stakeholders, including
university leadership, staff, donors, alumni, the community,
corporate and Alumni Foundation representatives and other
- Deep understanding of investment practices and endowment
- Ability to affect and maintain a professional, proactive,
positive, highly collaborative and performance-centric work
- Interest in becoming familiar with Montana's communities,
culture, economy, history and politics.
- A willingness to attend Alumni Foundation events, including but
not limited to large-scale engagement events, homecoming, awards,
chapters, target regions and/or smaller donor-centric
- A willingness to relocate/reside in Bozeman,
- A willingness to attend university meetings and events,
including receptions and athletic events.
- A willingness to travel in-state, regionally and nationally as
required to fulfill job responsibilities.
For more information, visit:
Montana State University Alumni Foundation has retained Bryant
Group to assist in this recruitment process. To be considered for
this opportunity, please submit your letter of interest and
qualifications for the position as outlined in this announcement in
confidence to Bryant Group by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. A criminal
history background check will be required for finalists under
consideration for this position.
Priority will be given to candidate materials received by June
15, 2023. The MSU Alumni Foundation is an Equal Employment
Opportunity Employer that believes that diversity, equity and
inclusion allow us to better serve our students and communities and
are critical to supporting the mission of Montana State University
as a land grant institution.