Democracy Fund is a foundation working to defend American
democracy and challenge it to be more open and just. Created by
eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, Democracy Fund has
made more than $200 million in grants to support free and fair
elections, a vibrant and diverse public square, effective and
accountable government, and a just and inclusive society. In
addition to grantmaking, Democracy Fund advocates for better
solutions and works with partners to grow philanthropic support for
our democracy. To learn more, visit www.democracyfund.org and www.democracyfundvoice.org.
Democracy Fund champions leaders and organizations who defend
democracy and challenge our political system to be more open, just,
resilient, and trustworthy. We believe that experimentation,
learning, and adaptation are key to the health and resilience of
any system, whether it is our organization or the American
political system. As grantmakers, we focus on listening and being
of service to our grantees, who are visionaries and our
collaborators, and on ways we can more deeply embed diversity,
equity, and inclusion as values central to the success of our
The Research team, a key strategic partner for program teams
across Democracy Fund, is one of the more public-facing parts of
the organization. Through original data collection, analysis, and
synthesis, we improve the organization’s strategic and tactical
decisions, as well as guide and inspire other funders in the
democracy space. In addition to communicating findings internally,
we partner with outside experts and academics to disseminate that
work publicly, increasing its potential impact.
The Research team is seeking a highly motivated and skilled
research associate to support the work of the associate research
director. This new position is a unique opportunity to help launch
a new research and funder-influence effort, which includes original
data collection, analysis, and the creation of high-profile,
public-facing work on the health and well-being of American
democracy. Our team is highly collaborative and passionate about
helping our organization and others working in the democracy space
make sense of the current, tumultuous political environment.
We are looking for someone who loves working in a
mission-driven, entrepreneurial environment and brings a keen
attention to detail. Ideal candidates will have strong analytical
and research skills, proven writing ability, and the ability to
manage multiple tasks. They will also have a strong interest and
knowledge of American politics, including political beliefs and
behaviors of Americans, political institutions, and other topics
related to the study of our democracy.
This position will report directly to and work closely with the
associate research director and support the team by taking on a
variety of scholarly, analytical, and administrative tasks.
- Help design, manage, and administer research projects,
including those conducted in partnership with outside experts and
- Assist with quantitative data collection and cleaning from a
wide variety of sources, including but not limited to survey data,
administrative data, census products, and other scholarly data
- Conduct analysis and synthesis to identify trends within and
between different topic areas.
- Propose ideas for blog posts, briefs, and reports.
- Author and co-author reports, blog posts, and briefs.
- Prepare datasets, toplines, cross-tabulations, tables, charts,
presentations, and other data summaries for internal use and public
- Respond to research inquiries from staff and external
SYSTEMS AND OPERATIONS
- Perform project management and some administrative tasks for
work with internal and external partners.
- Liaise with other teams internally and externally.
- Complete other administrative tasks as assigned.
- Build strong relationships and work collaboratively across the
- Contribute to a team culture that values collaboration,
positivity, transparency, high performance, and continuous
- Work effectively across functions to creatively solve
- Actively work to support the success of the entire Democracy
Fund team through the development of shared goals and
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS
- Passion for strengthening American democracy.
- Deep commitment to racial equity and justice; ability to bring
a racial equity lens to research is a must.
- A high level of integrity that embodies and reflects Democracy
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree (or equivalent
experience) in political science or other fields relevant to the
study of American democracy preferred.
- Three to five years of experience conducting research in some
- Experience with statistical programs, particularly those skills
related to organizing and analyzing datasets (e.g., R, STATA).
- Strong analytical skills, including proven experience with
quantitative and statistical analysis.
- Ability to dive into new topic areas and quickly absorb new
- Ability to communicate research results clearly and concisely
in verbal and written forms; previous experience writing and
presenting for a public audience a plus.
- An outstanding work ethic, strong initiative, dependable, and
responsible, with a creative and entrepreneurial mindset.
- Ability to adapt quickly, work calmly, and maintain good
judgment without being stymied by ambiguity.
- Attention to detail, including exacting standards to maintain
accuracy of all work products.
- Strong proficiency in proactively handling multiple
assignments, communicating with manager to prioritize tasks, and
meeting deadlines to deliver high-quality results.
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of a
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint,
etc.) or equivalent.
This role is based in Washington, D.C. Democracy Fund follows a
hybrid-remote and in-the-office model, which enables flexibility
and meets collaboration needs. New staff are expected to reside in
the DMV, though exceptions will be granted on a case-by-case basis
by the Personnel Committee. All employees, regardless of location,
will be expected in the office several days a month.
Salary range begins at $76,486.50 per year.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to
our Jobs page. Applications submitted without a cover
letter or lacking the desired years of experience will not be
considered. We are unable to include internships as
part of the required years of experience needed to qualify for this
role. Take this opportunity to tell us about yourself and why
you’re interested in joining our team. No calls, please.
Democracy Fund is committed to a diverse workplace, seeking
voices and expertise from people from across the political
spectrum. Our board, staff, advisors, and grantees include
Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. Democracy Fund is an
Equal Opportunity Employer, where we encourage candidates of all
ages, color, ethnic background, country of origin, religion,
disability status, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity