- Democracy Fund
- District of Columbia, United States
- Competitive Salary
- Closing date
- Jun 6, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Accounting and Finance
- Other Fields
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Democracy Fund is a foundation working to defend American democracy and challenge it to be more open and just. Created by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, Democracy Fund has made more than $200 million in grants to support free and fair elections, a vibrant and diverse public square, effective and accountable government, and a just and inclusive society. In addition to grantmaking, Democracy Fund advocates for better solutions and works with partners to grow philanthropic support for our democracy. To learn more, visit www.democracyfund.org and www.democracyfundvoice.org.
Democracy Fund champions leaders and organizations who defend democracy and challenge our political system to be more open, just, resilient, and trustworthy. We believe that experimentation, learning, and adaptation are key to the health and resilience of any system, whether it is our organization or the American political system. As grantmakers, we focus on listening and being of service to our grantees, who are visionaries and our collaborators, and on ways we can more deeply embed diversity, equity, and inclusion as values central to the success of our work and mission.
The Finance team ensures that Democracy Fund staff and partners have the financial tools and resources they need to advance our mission of a more inclusive, multiracial democracy. From leading our budgeting and forecasting processes to sending timely payments to partners to continually innovating our financial infrastructure, the Finance team plays a critical role in delivering decision-ready financial information and analysis to staff across the organization.
We are seeking a controller who will lead and grow the Finance team and play a major role in Democracy Fund’s continued success. The controller has functional responsibility for financial audits, accounts payable, monthly reconciliations and close processes, payroll processing, and leave management, as well as ensuring accurate financial records and accounting policies that are consistent with GAAP standards. This role will report the senior director of Finance and work closely with other members of the Operations and People team and staff across the organization. In addition to managing the day-to-day accounting and reporting functions for Democracy Fund, the controller will support Democracy Fund Voice (DFV), a 501(c)(4) social welfare organization. The ideal candidate will bring a mix of public accounting and operating experience with nonprofits and multi-entity environments, with deep accounting knowledge and a passion for managing both people and processes.
The role’s primary responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manage the timely completion of the month-end closes for Democracy Fund and Democracy Fund Voice; identify and implement improvements to enhance the efficiency and accuracy of the monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting processes.
- Oversee the day-to-day finance and customer support the Finance team provides to the organization, ensuring timely processing of expense reports, invoices, grant payments, biweekly payrolls, and 401(k) remittances, as well as responding to staff questions.
- Supervise the monthly rolling forecast process, ensuring that teams understand the resources available; provide insights to leadership on financial trends and issues, while staying up-to-date on changes in the field and new systems and tools that could continue to improve Democracy Fund’s systems and processes.
- Lead the annual audit, serving as point of contact for external auditors, ensuring that key schedules and sample selections are prepared, preparing audited financial statements, and supporting schedules.
- Lead the annual 990 processes, serving as point of contact to external preparers, ensuring all key schedules are provided, managing the review process among various stakeholders, and making sure filings are timely.
- Oversee financial systems, policies, and procedures; identify and lead process improvement initiatives.
- Serve as primary administrator for all financial systems, which includes ensuring that training is continuously provided as the organization and its systems expand.
- Collaborate with the senior director in the budgeting processes, particularly preparing budget workbooks, providing calculation reviews, and entering approved budgets into the appropriate systems.
- Support the senior director of Finance in preparation for quarterly board reporting.
TEAM LEADER AND MEMBER
- Empower direct reports to do their best work by providing guidance, coaching, and feedback on their day-to-day responsibilities, project management goals, and overall professional development.
- Contribute to a team culture that values collaboration, positivity, and transparency and that seeks impact through continuous improvement and learning.
- Work effectively with staff at all levels and across departments, balancing projects and priorities for multiple team members.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
- Passion for strengthening American democracy.
- Deep commitment to racial equity and justice.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration, or related field required, and CPA designation required.
- Minimum of 10 years of increasingly responsible experience in accounting, budgeting, and nonprofit finance and demonstrated experience in completing audits performed by independent or external parties, month-end processes, and other financial reporting.
- A high level of integrity that embodies and reflects Democracy Fund values.
- Strong proficiency in GAAP accounting, including current audit requirements.
- Experience managing multiple entities, with experience at a private foundation or 501(c)(3)/(4) organization preferred.
- Proficiency using Excel to manipulate and analyze financial statements and related data.
- Strong critical thinking skills, including the ability to identify and summarize key points in any analysis.
- Well-developed prioritization skills and the ability to balance both short- and long-term objectives, while paying close attention to detail.
- History of working across functions, building positive relationships with people and teams throughout a diverse organization, and maintaining effective cross-functional communication.
- An ownership approach to your work, with a track record of delivering business results through operational excellence in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience implementing new ideas and processes to drive efficiencies and scalability.
- Willingness and ability to coach, mentor, and develop team members and help them realize their full potential.
- Commitment to learn and grow in a workplace that values diversity of many dimensions.
- Democracy Fund follows a hybrid-remote and in-office model that enables flexibility and meets collaboration needs. New staff are expected to reside in the DMV, though exceptions will be granted on a case-by-case basis by the Personnel Committee. All employees, regardless of location, will be expected in the office several days a month.
Salary range begins at $155,160 per year.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to our Jobs page. Applications submitted without a cover letter or lacking the desired years of experience will not be considered. Take this opportunity to tell us about yourself and why you're interested in joining our team. No calls please.
Democracy Fund is committed to a diverse workplace, seeking voices and expertise from people from across the political spectrum. Our board, staff, advisors, and grantees include Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. Democracy Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer, where we encourage candidates of all ages, color, ethnic background, country of origin, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity to apply.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert