Democracy Fund is a foundation working to defend American
democracy and challenge it to be more open and just. Created by
eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, Democracy Fund has
made more than $200 million in grants to support free and fair
elections, a vibrant and diverse public square, effective and
accountable government, and a just and inclusive society. In
addition to grantmaking, Democracy Fund advocates for better
solutions and works with partners to grow philanthropic support for
our democracy. To learn more, visit www.democracyfund.org and www.democracyfundvoice.org.
Democracy Fund champions leaders and organizations who defend
democracy and challenge our political system to be more open, just,
resilient, and trustworthy. We believe that experimentation,
learning, and adaptation are key to the health and resilience of
any system, whether it is our organization or the American
political system. As grantmakers, we focus on listening and being
of service to our grantees, who are visionaries and our
collaborators, and on ways we can more deeply embed diversity,
equity, and inclusion (DEI) as values central to the success of our
work and mission.
The Operations team supports the execution of Democracy Fund’s
work, ensuring that our colleagues have the resources, trainings,
and infrastructure necessary to fulfill our mission. We hold
ourselves accountable not only to talking the talk but also to
walking the walk as we adopt best practices, both for Democracy
Fund as a whole and for our own department, that lead with equity
We’re looking for a leader to create, curate, and deliver
educational materials and training programs that advance our
ongoing efforts to expand our culture of inclusion — an avid
learner and experienced learning and development professional who
can translate their knowledge into various platforms and media for
the benefit of an engaged and diverse employee population. The DEI
Learning & Development Manager works under the general
direction and guidance of the Chief Operating Officer (COO) to
research, develop, implement, and execute learning strategies and
programs that are aligned with Democracy Fund’s goals.
The successful candidate will be able to effectively create and
manage relationships with employees at all levels and lead our
established organization-wide DEI Committee, while working
alongside teams across the foundation to make an impact on our
employees, partners, and key stakeholders.
This position has a two-year term, with the possibility of
renewal, and reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
DEI LEARNING AND DEVELOPMENT
- Develop and implement the organization’s short-term and
long-term DEI strategy in consultation with the COO.
- Design and execute scalable trainings and programs, including
toolkits, workshops, and job aides, that strive to more deeply
embed DEI through learning and collaboration.
- Evaluate individual and organizational development needs.
- Chair the DEI Advisory Group to provide necessary support for
and engagement of DEI initiatives.
- Collaborate with the People Team and internal partners to
assess DEI training in the context of Democracy Fund’s broader
training and learning goals.
- Maintain relationships with external and internal DEI
- Experiment with innovative ways to achieve organizational
change and create opportunities for practice and application.
- Manage internal communications regarding DEI training and
- Serve as a sub-administrator for Democracy Fund’s learning
management system, managing DEI-related content and processes.
- Lead cross-functional projects and facilitate meetings; handle
project documentation and plans, including success metrics,
timelines, and milestones to ensure timely completion of project
deliverables; and communicate project status across the
PROFESSIONAL LEARNING AND DEVELOPMENT
- Assist management and individual staff members with identifying
and/or arranging suitable training and development solutions,
utilizing funds set aside for these activities.
- Partner with the People Team in the creation and implementation
of training and development programs, facilitating training as
- Assess training and development needs through surveys,
one-on-one employee meetings, focus groups, and other
communications with staff.
- Research, cultivate, and maintain training and development
resources and online training solutions (e.g., SkillPath and other
- Manage internal coaching program, which includes recruiting and
managing a diverse roster of coaches and matching them with
- Promote a high-performance, continuously improving team culture
that values learning and quality.
- Bring enthusiasm and a positive outlook to problem-solving and
day-to-day juggling of priorities.
- Contribute to a team culture that values collaboration,
positivity, and transparency.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS
- Passion for strengthening American democracy.
- Deep commitment to racial equity and justice.
- A high level of integrity that embodies and reflects Democracy
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the
ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels of
- Demonstrated ability to navigate ambiguity while working
independently to complete projects, and effectively collaborate
with cross-functional teams and senior-level leadership.
- Demonstrated understanding of learning and development,
training, or a related field, with the ability to develop and
deliver creative and powerful learning solutions.
- Strong DEI subject-matter expertise, including research,
trends, data, and leading practices.
- Certified Diversity Professional or National Diversity Council
Certified Diversity Professional strongly preferred.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or
university in education, curriculum development, human resources,
sociology, organizational psychology, or closely related field
required and at least eight years of experience working on DEI
learning strategies and programs. Master’s degree preferred.
- Democracy Fund follows a hybrid remote and in-the-office model,
which enables flexibility and meets collaboration needs. New staff
are expected to reside in the DMV, though exceptions will be
granted on a case-by-case basis by the Personnel Committee. All
employees, regardless of location, will be expected in the office
several days a month.
Salary range begins at $123,025.00 per year.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume
through our Jobs page. Applications submitted without
a cover letter or lacking the desired years of experience will not
be considered. Take this opportunity to tell us about
yourself and why you’re interested in joining our team. No calls
Democracy Fund is committed to a diverse workplace, seeking
voices and expertise from people from across the political
spectrum. Our board, staff, advisors, and grantees include
Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. Democracy Fund is an
Equal Opportunity Employer, where we encourage candidates of all
ages, color, ethnic background, country of origin, religion,
disability status, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity