Chief Advancement Officer
- California, United States
- $212,000.00 - $245,000.00
- Closing date
- Jun 7, 2023
- Position Type
- Executive, Fundraising, Capital Campaigns, Corporate and Foundation Relations, Direct Marketing, Donor Relations, Fundraising Administration, Grant Seeking, Major Gifts, Planned Giving, Prospect Research, Other Fundraising, Special Events
- Animal Protection
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Are you an inspiring and strategic fundraising, marketing, and community engagement leader ready for an amazing next opportunity?
Want to work alongside and lead dedicated delightful teams of professionals and volunteers?
And does a puppy kiss, a rumbling purr, or the touch of soft warm fur melt your heart?
Think everyone ought to have access to that happy healing magic?
If so, great news! The Animal Rescue Foundation (ARF) in Walnut Creek now seeks its Chief Advancement Officer (CAO).
As Chief Advancement Officer, you’ll lead a talented fundraising, marketing, communications, and community engagement team. As a member of the C-Team, you’ll co-create and implement ambitious achievable plans to ramp up recognition and revenue at ARF locally, regionally and nationally.
With ARF now rebranding to anchor our community identity and burst onto the national scene, this is an especially thrilling time to join the team. Learn more here and apply today!
The Animal Rescue Foundation (ARF) seeks a Chief Advancement Officer (CAO) to lead the organization’s integrated fundraising, marketing, communications, and community outreach operations. The CAO designs and implements strategy for institutional and individual major gifts fundraising, corporate partnership, foundation giving, event production, direct response and brand marketing, communications, and outreach activities at ARF. The CAO is responsible for the Advancement team’s coordinated efforts to achieve and exceed the organization’s revenue, recognition, and engagement goals.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
- As a member of ARF’s C-Team, lead through collaboration, ideation, action, and example to advance ARF’s programs, policies, culture, and operations.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive Advancement strategy to sustain and grow ARF’s revenue, recognition, and community engagement.
- Collaborate with team members and work groups across the organization.
- Grow individual, corporate, and foundation giving to achieve or exceed revenue objectives, e.g., dollars raised, average gift size, growth in database and active donor counts, diversity of revenue streams, etc.
- Develop and manage the annual Advancement budget and work plan; monitor and report progress and performance.
- Develop robust major giving programs and personally assist in the identification, cultivation and/or solicitation of five to seven figure gifts.
- Oversee the planning, implementation, and performance of direct response and brand marketing campaigns.
- Oversee the design for and implementation of internal and external community engagement initiatives, with particular focus on building a thriving volunteer corps and age-appropriate youth programs.
- Ensure the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of institutional supporters.
- Ensure the strong management of ARF’s donor database and prompt, accurate acknowledgment, and recognition of contributions.
- Oversee public outreach activities, including advertising and media campaigns, engagement and event strategies, and ARF’s website and other digital activities.
- Ensure donor management systems are optimized and underlying donor cultivation strategies are supported through effective technology and best practices.
- Engage the CEO, board members, and staff in Advancement activities as appropriate.
- Ensure ARF operates on the forward edge of philanthropic trends and best practices.
- Make public presentations and appeals to prospective supporters.
- Represent ARF in the media and at local, regional, and national events as appropriate.
- Participate in strategic planning and implementation activities.
- Provide ongoing Advancement reporting and analysis to the C-team and ARF’s Board as required.
- Maintain, assess, and update Advancement policies and practices.
Leadership and Management
- Model a leadership style that is open, supportive, accountable, and encouraging to staff, engaging with team members as respected colleagues.
- Directly manage, mentor, and optimize the performance of the Director of Development, Director of Marketing and Communications, and Director of Community Engagement; indirectly manage, mentor and optimize the performance of the Advancement team as a whole to achieve ARF’s goals.
- Recruit for open Advancement team positions, crafting a collaborative dynamic and complementary skills, styles, and expertise.
- Set the vision for the Advancement team, with clear priorities, objectives, and measurable goals.
- Provide professional development for the Advancement team, continuously mentoring individual members toward greater professional achievement.
- Cultivate esprit de corps and a healthy working environment within the Advancement team and across the organization.
- Advance team and organizational culture that rewards positivity, collaboration, leadership, excellence, accountability, and respect.
- 7+ years of leadership experience in nonprofit fundraising and/or marketing and communications, in progressively more responsible roles.
- Proven success designing and implementing long-range strategy and annual tactics to achieve or exceed revenue and recognition goals.
- Strong strategic thinking and leadership skills; ability to develop and monitor work plans and budgets.
- Experience simultaneously managing multiple projects with multiple stakeholders.
- Experience overseeing large-scale digital and print acquisition, fundraising, and awareness efforts.
- Demonstrated ability to acquire, cultivate, solicit, steward and elevate major donors.
- Demonstrated success securing six figure gifts for a $10+ million nonprofit organization, both individually and as part of a team of fundraisers.
- Demonstrated experience monitoring Advancement activities, progress, and performance in self, team members, and multiple integrated operations.
- Expertise developing and/or deploying data to inform Advancement strategy and tactics.
- Experience designing, structuring, closing, and stewarding, complex, multi-year funding agreements; knowledge of major foundations and government funders preferred.
- Superior communications skills, written and verbal.
- Demonstrated commitment to working among and serving alongside a diverse community.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience; CFRE preferred.
- Pre-employment background check screening required.
Exempt position requires a minimum of 40 hours per week. Daily reporting hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the Division. Weekend and evening work may be required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical and environmental demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
ENVIRONMENT: Standard office
FINGER DEXTERITY: Requires typing on standard computer.
TALKING: Ability to speak on phone and face to face.
HEARING: Able to hear average or normal conversations and receive ordinary information.
REPETITIVE MOTIONS: Frequent and regular movements using the wrists, hands, and fingers.
AVERAGE VISUAL ABILITIES: Average, ordinary, visual acuity necessary to view computer screens and documents.
PHYSICAL STRENGTH: NOT APPLICABLE.
COMMUNICATION AND COGNITIVE REQUIREMENTS
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to interpret instructions.
MATHEMATICS ABILITY: Ability to perform basic math skills, use decimals to compute ratios and percentages, and to draw and interpret graphs.
LANGUAGE ABILITY: Fluency in English. Demonstrated excellence in writing and editing.
SALARY: $212,000 to $245,000
BENEFITS: Medical, dental, life, long-term disability, and 403(b) retirement plan with employer contribution. Holiday, vacation, and sick time. Group rate pet insurance and fitness membership.
Apply for Chief Advancement Officer
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert