WABE is Atlanta’s choice for NPR, PBS, and local news and
storytelling. We inform, inspire, reflect, and empower greater
Atlanta to drive community belonging, stoke civic participation,
and advance equity. WABE is a non-profit, public media service
broadcasting and streaming via WABE90.1FM, WABE TV, WABE.org, and
numerous podcasts and digital offerings.
WABE is growing our operation to strengthen the local newsroom,
ramp up original storytelling and reach audiences on every vital
digital platform. In our 75th year, it’s time to elevate our
operation and grow our major donor support, philanthropic grant
support and collaborations in the community. An Executive Vice
President of Development will be a critical leadership position to
help us achieve our strategic plan of “doubling down on the ATL”
and “amplifying Atlanta” to the world.
For more information on the broadcast service, programming and
opportunities, please visit www.wabe.org
Executive Vice President of Development
The EVP of Development is responsible for planning, managing,
and executing a comprehensive, diversified, and strategic
advancement and communications effort that sustains and grows
revenues from all constituents including individual donors,
foundation giving, planned giving, and special events. This role,
reports to WABE’s CEO and leads development of WABE’s effort to
cultivate and systematically increase the number of
transformational gifts to the organization to support the WABE’s
strategic plan. Responsibilities include driving fundraising
efforts, overseeing engagement, solicitation, and stewardship of
prospective and current donors across WABE’s multi-channel
campaigns. WABE multi-channel campaigns include radio, television,
podcasts, digital, direct mail, email, targeted ads, telephone, and
texting, as well as targeted programming to retain and deepen donor
relationships. This position will also stay in tune with
national benchmarking data, attend public media webinars, learn
from colleagues at other public radio and TV stations.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record for
fundraising, leadership, collaboration and staff development and a
range of skill sets including effective donor cultivation and
networking, oral and written communications, knowledge of donor
research and CRM systems, board engagement, and presentation
development and delivery.
- Develop and implement both annual and major giving plans to
successfully meet established fundraising goals and
- Works to achieve annual revenue goals for fiscal year.
- Collaborate with the CEO, and Development Committee to develop
strategies and achieve goals in both annual and major giving
(developing donor lists, cultivation strategies, events/meetings,
and points of contact).
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward major donors and
prospects to grow, strengthen, and nurture donor base.
- Maintain a portfolio of leadership donors to various funds,
including capital projects, restricted funds, and event
- Oversee team responsible for gift processing by ensuring
policies, systems and procedures are built on ethical standards for
soliciting and reporting.
- Supervises managers in the implementation of all fundraising
efforts; oversees key projects, processes and performance reports,
data and analysis.
- Leads a team of 12 across all fundraising efforts within
- Develops, proposes and implements fundraising strategies across
fundraising techniques consistent with overall organizational
objectives; analyzes in-house, marketing, survey and industry data,
trends, and experiences to assist in the development of long-term
strategies; maintains knowledge about the external environment as
it relates to fundraising in the broadcasting industry and in
- Aggressively seeks new funding sources and maintains
relationships with current/past donors; represents organization in
meetings with potential funding sources; maintains strong
relationships and ties within related professional
- Builds and maintains relationships with donors (individual and
foundations); builds a support system within the department for
stewardship of these relationships.
- Lead outreach efforts – research, list-building,
relationship-building – for major gifts programs and projects as
- Execute strategy to cultivate highest potential donors and
report regularly on results.
- Engage in personal networking and leverage the capacity of
other team members, senior management, and the board of directors
to make contacts and engage, secure and retain donors.
- Leverages data from the CRM system to build target donor
profiles and key strategies to reach them.
- Assess current CRM system and growth needs for efficient and
strategic development, reporting, workflows, and processes.
- Coordinates and works on WABE’s participation in community
events in order to enhance individual & community relationships
and build station visibility and extend brand.
- Works with other station leaders in the development and
monitoring of budgets and financial performance, providing reports
and data as needed for financial monitoring and projection.
- Reviews, analysis of activities, costs, operations, and
forecast data to determine department or division progress toward
stated goals and objectives.
- Participates in Board and fundraising committee meetings,
providing information and making presentations as needed.
- Conduct state-of-the-system research on PBS and NPR sites as
well as Pledge Chat, Greater Public, Trac Media, etc. for best
practices for membership programs and stewardship.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Master's degree or equivalent; or eight (+) years related
experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education
and experience. Proven analytical skills and ability in developing
programs and communications as well as critical analyses of trends
and data. Prior fundraising and development management coupled with
marketing experience preferable. Proven organizational skills with
demonstrated ability to maintain successful interpersonal
relationships with contributors, volunteers, board and staff.
Ability to develop, project manage and meet a multimillion-dollar
budget and to make data-driven decisions. Knowledge/experience in
donor prospecting, research methods, database systems and
techniques and strategy necessary.
- An energetic, forward-thinking, and creative individual with
high ethical standards and an appropriate professional image.
- Must possess sound technical skills, analytical ability, good
judgment and strong operational focus.
- A well-organized and self-directed individual who is
"politically savvy" and a team player.
- Successful candidates will possess strong organizational,
written, and verbal communication skills and possess the ability to
manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to analyze fundraising results and amend
strategies/plans based on findings.
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills with the
ability to navigate a complex work environment.
- Commitment to delivering excellent internal and external
- Ability to work collaboratively to design and build a new
program from the ground up.
- Experience working with various technologies including advanced
knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office Suite, database and
project management software, and CRM systems.
- Ability to manage and inspire teams to work
- Desire to support and promote an inclusive work environment and
cultivate strong, productive relationships across internal WABE
- Must be able to reprioritize projects quickly based on changing
needs and new opportunities.
- A curious mind and natural desire to develop, test and evaluate
new strategies is essential.
- Strong multi-tasker and ability to produce products from start
to finish effectively under pressure and meet deadlines.
The physical demands and work environment described here are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may
need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking primarily on a
level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching
above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required (up
to 5 lbs.), filing documents or store materials throughout the
workday. Proper lifting techniques required. For the most part
ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office
equipment as found in a typical office environment.