Associate Director of Athletics for
About University at Albany:
1844 and designated a University Center of the State University of
New York in 1962, the University at Albany's broad mission of
excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research and
public service engages a diverse student body of approximately
17,000 students in nine schools and colleges across three
Located in Albany, New York, New York State's capital, the
University is convenient to Boston, New York City and the
Reporting directly to the
Associate Vice President for Advancement, with an indirect
reporting line to the Director of Athletics, the Associate Director
of Athletics for Development's primary responsibility is to
strengthen philanthropic support for UAlbany's athletics program,
with special emphasis on securing gifts of $25,000+ and overseeing
and generating revenue for the Great Dane Athletics Club (GDAC).
The Associate Director will be a member of the Director of
Athletics' senior management team and help make informed decisions
that elevate the Department of Athletics.
- Manage a portfolio of approximately 75 prospective donors,
engaging and soliciting them for gifts.
- Collaborate closely with the Director of Athletics to identify
the program's fundraising priorities, and with the Director of
Athletics and coaches to engage and solicit key prospects.
- Oversee GDAC's activities, services, and membership benefits.
Increase the number of leadership level ($1,000+) annual gifts to
- Serve as advancement liaison to the head coaches, consulting
with them to leverage their networks in order to enhance
solicitation and stewardship activities.
- Assist fellow development officers whose portfolios include
prospects for gifts to the athletics program.
- Collaborate with the Office of Advancement's Senior Director of
Annual Giving to create, segment, and distribute athletics-focused
direct mail, email, and crowdfunding appeals.
- Manage the GDAC Advisory Board, recruiting and engaging board
members and leveraging their potential as sources of support.
- Work with the Office of Advancement's Donor Relations team to
ensure donors are appropriately thanked and stewarded.
- Interact with donors and prospective donors at home and away
games and other events.
- Serve as the sport supervisor for individual intercollegiate
program(s), coordinating with the head coaches on budget, student
development, scheduling, and other areas of oversight.
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience securing gifts from high-level donors.
- Proven success qualifying, engaging, and securing gifts from
- Ability to raise donor sights, articulate aspirational goals
and ideas, set priorities, and present philanthropic
- Understanding and appreciation for the philanthropic process
and individual giving behaviors combined with direct solicitation
- The professional credibility, intellectual depth, maturity,
poise, and collaborative skills to garner the trust and confidence
of the director of athletics, coaches, and volunteer leaders.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with
demonstrated presentation abilities.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work across a
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse constituencies and
- Demonstrated integrity and the ability to handle sensitive and
confidential information with appropriate discretion.
- Computer literacy, especially with relational databases.
- Experience securing gifts from high-level donors in higher
- 5+ years of experience in higher education fundraising and/or
- 5+ years of experience in fundraising for an NCAA
Intercollegiate Athletics program.
Professional Rank and Salary
Range: SL5, Director of Fundraising (pending approval)
- UAlbany provides a comprehensive benefits package for full-time
employees including, the choice between several health insurance
plans and no-cost dental and vision coverage. Additionally,
employees are entitled to 13 holidays per year with generous
vacation and sick time accruals. Employees can also choose between
two retirement vehicles with employer contributions and receive
tuition assistance at SUNY-operated campuses. To see the complete
listing of benefits please visit here.
- The salary range for this position is $90,000 - $95,000,
commensurate with experience. This position is eligible for hybrid
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus
Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV
institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an
Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts:
disclosure of the University's crime statistics for the past three
years; and disclosures regarding the University's current campus
security policies. The University at Albany's Annual Security
Report is available in portable document format [PDF] by clicking
this link http://police.albany.edu/ASR.shtml
Pursuant to NYS Labor Law 194-A, no State entity, as defined by
the Law, is permitted to rely on, orally or in writing seek,
request, or require in any form, that an applicant for employment
provide his or her current wage, or salary history as a condition
to be interviewed, or as a condition of continuing to be considered
for an offer of employment, until such time as the applicant is
extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation, and
for the purpose of verifying information, may such requests be
made. If such information has been requested from you before such
time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at
(518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY IS AN EO/AA/IRCA/ADA
Please apply online via
Applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- Cover letter stating all the required minimum qualifications
and any of the applicable preferred qualifications
- Writing sample
- Contact information for three professional references
Note: After submitting your resume, the
subsequent pages give you instructions for uploading additional
documents (i.e. cover letter etc.).
Closing date for receipt of applications: June 4, 2023