Associate Director, Institutional Giving - American Repertory Theater
- American Repertory Theater
- Massachusetts, United States
- $75,000.00 - $85,000.00
- Closing date
- Jun 10, 2023
- Position Type
- Fundraising, Annual Fund, Donor Relations, Fundraising Administration, Grant Seeking, Major Gifts, Planned Giving, Other Fundraising
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Job SummaryAmerican Repertory Theater seeks an Associate Director, Institutional Giving. This position is responsible for the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of effective relationships of supporters in the A.R.T. Patron Circle ($1,000-$10,000+). Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the successful candidate will be able to creatively express the Theater’s impact to its donors and prospects through their writing and verbal communication skills. The Associate Director, Institutional Giving participates in creating and implementing strategies that will enable A.R.T. to aggressively increase its base of contributed support. This position’s responsibilities include some weekend and evening hours for approximately 40 events each year.
The Associate Director, Institutional Giving is an integral member of the development team charged with raising over $5M in annual contributed support and efforts towards a major capital campaign for the Theater. The Associate Director, Institutional Giving will participate in department and A.R.T. initiatives and perform additional duties as needed to help drive the theater’s mission.
This is a term position ending on June 30, 2024.
Individual Stewardship Responsibilities:
- Identify, cultivate, renew, and steward a portfolio of individual donors, with a focus on building a stronger relationship between the donor and A.R.T.
- Work with the Chief Development Officer and Director of Membership and Major Gifts to develop and refine major gift strategies to increase individual giving and capital campaign funding.
- In collaboration with the Assistant Director, Events & Partnerships, identify and secure support for major special events including, but not limited to, the Annual Gala.
- Plan and execute cultivation and stewardship activities in conjunction with the Individual Giving team.
- Works collaboratively and strategically with the Chief Development Officer, A.R.T. development staff, and other Harvard University campus leaders.
- Meet directly and frequently with current and prospective donors to cultivate and solicit contributions.
- Share responsibility for reaching capital campaign and annual fundraising goals.
Foundation and Corporate Support Responsibilities:
- Oversee all foundation and government relations and fundraising efforts, working with Chief Development Officer to grow and maintain the foundation line over the next several years.
- Accurately track and project Foundation/Government goals each season, currently ranging between $800K-$1M/annually.
- Develop relationships with University leadership and work together to determine opportunities for federal funding assistance.
- Manage all government funding contracts, alongside Executive Producer and Controller.
- Maintain specific corporate foundation relationships, assisting the Development team to maintain and grow the Corporate Giving line.
- Foster relationships between top foundations and A.R.T. Executive Leadership, ensuring that A.R.T. Leadership stays abreast on major foundation news and updates as it might relate to the theater’s priorities.
- Maintain and deepen relationships with existing foundations through regular communication, meetings, and reporting.
- Work closely with Artistic and Education/Engagement leadership to coordinate strategies and narratives for special project applications.
- Represent the development department by serving on specific internal task forces (i.e. Roadmap to Recovery and HBS Collaboration).
- Develop narratives and manage editing process for all high-level grant applications above $50K (both renewal and new).
- Collaborate with Assistant Director, Special Events & Partnerships to ensure foundation prospects are receiving strategic invitations to events.
- Supervise the Development Coordinator to ensure timely completion of LOIs, renewal applications, reports, and prospect research.
- Analyze prospect research and prepare briefings for A.R.T. leadership.
- Manage integrity of all gifts, working with Controller and program leaders to ensure donor intent is met.
- Collaborate with the Individual Giving team on all external campaigns and communication pieces to ensure alignment of institutional voice and program narrative.
- Assist the Director of Membership and Major Gifts on all major gift and leadership gift communication.
- Working with the Chief Development Officer and senior Artistic staff, develop, curate, and lead travel programs, cultivating meaningful relationships with artists and partners abroad, and deepening relationships in a meaningful way with major donors, campaign prospects, and Harvard leaders.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience required
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in fundraising, prospect development or similar experience required
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, especially advanced Excel skills, as well as standard applications (including Outlook, Zoom, and PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of advanced fundraising principles and best practices
- Experience within a complex development operation is preferred
- Experience with donor database system, Tessitura highly desired
- Successful strategic planning and goal setting
- Ability to be a passionate advocate for the mission of the A.R.T
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and managerial capabilities
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
- Customer service and problem-solving orientation and attitude
- Demonstrated flexibility, reliability, and tact
- Strong budgeting, organizational, and analytical skills
- Knowledge of theater is strongly preferred
Additional Information: This position requires the ability to travel and work evenings and weekends as required. Our office operates on a hybrid working model, partially remote work schedules are available.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert