Youth Advocacy Assistant, Student Task Force
- Human Rights Watch
- California, United States
- Salary Commensurate with experience
- Closing date
- Jun 10, 2023
- Position Type
- Programs, Community Outreach, Other Programs
- Employment Type
- Part Time
FIXED-TERM, PART-TIME JOB VACANCY
YOUTH ADVOCACY ASSISTANT
Student Task Force
Los Angeles Office
Application Deadline: June 11, 2023
Human Rights Watch advances human rights worldwide by investigating wrongs, exposing facts, offering solutions, and challenging those with power to respect rights. The Student Task Force (STF) is a Human Rights Watch (HRW) sponsored youth leadership-training program that brings together high school students from Southern California and empowers them to advocate for the human rights of children. HRW STF staff and STF teachers partner to mentor students in leadership skills and activism, fostering confidence and maturity among students, enabling them to become effective voices for change and social justice within their communities. For more information on the Human Rights Watch Student Task Force, please visit www.hrwstf.org.
HRW STF is seeking a Youth Advocacy Assistant to provide advocacy assistance to the team. The selected candidate must be available for 27 hours per week for the fall semester, August 7, 2023 to December 15, 2023, with the possibility to extend through May 2024. There is some scheduling flexibility, but the Youth Advocacy Assistant will preferably work Monday through Thursday. The position is based in the Los Angeles office and reports to the STF Senior Manager.
1. Support the creation and launch of advocacy activities for the fall 2023 campaign, by:
a. Providing administrative support in the creation of advocacy activities and materials; and
b. Assisting the STF team with advocacy activities at assigned schools;
2. Liaise with local student leaders and faculty advisors at STF chapters, including but not limited to:
a. Monitoring assigned STF chapter activities and reporting back to the STF Senior Manager; and
b. Supporting student leaders in the planning and execution of advocacy activities at assigned STF chapters;
3. Assist the STF team with the development of online connections with an expanding list of participating high schools;
4. Assist with the implementation of strategies and tools to equip students to be knowledgeable and effective human rights activists by:
a. Assisting the STF team with desk research on specific strategies and tools; and
b. Assisting the STF team with the implementation of said strategies and tools;
5. Prepare, format, edit and distribute communications, correspondence and documents for assigned STF chapters;
6. Provide administrative support including proofreading, formatting and distributing materials, scheduling and preparing for meetings, and responding to inquiries; and
7. Carry out other duties as required.
Education: A bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience/training in a related field is desired. Those currently enrolled in university courses are encouraged to apply. Candidates with a passion for human rights work are encouraged to apply.
Experience: A minimum of one year of relevant work experience is preferred.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
1. Experience working with middle school, high school and/or university students. Experience with advocacy and working with volunteers is highly desirable.
2. Excellent written and oral communications skills in English are required.
3. Prior office/administration experience, meticulous attention to detail, flexibility and strong organizational skills are required.
4. Computer skills (i.e. MS Word, MS Excel, and internet applications) are required. Experience with graphic design, web design, social media and online communication tools are preferred.
5. Quick learner, creative thinker, and productive worker who is able to meet frequent deadlines is required.
6. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks simultaneously are required.
7. Self-motivation and the ability to prioritize with minimal supervision and work independently as well as function as a member of a team are required.
8. Commitment to HRW’s mission and human rights values.
Other: Applicants for this position must possess valid US work authorization.
Salary and Benefits: This position is part time (at least 27 hours per week), $21.15 per hour and should start no later than Monday, August 7, 2023.
How to Apply: Please apply immediately or by June 11, 2023 by visiting our online job portal at https://careers.hrw.org/ and attaching a cover letter and resume, preferably as PDF files. No calls or email inquiries, please. Only complete applications will be reviewed, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application submission, or if you require accommodations during the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the large response, application submissions via email will not be accepted and inquiries regarding the status of applications will go unanswered.
Human Rights Watch is strong because it is diverse. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Human Rights Watch does not discriminate on the basis of disability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, or criminal record. We welcome all kinds of diversity. Our employees include people who are parents and nonparents, the self-taught and university educated, and from a wide span of socio-economic backgrounds and perspectives on the world. Human Rights Watch is an equal opportunity employer.
Human Rights Watch is an international human rights monitoring and advocacy organization known for its in-depth investigations, its incisive and timely reporting, its innovative and high-profile advocacy campaigns, and its success in changing the human rights-related policies and practices of influential governments and international institutions.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert