FairVote, headquartered in Silver
Spring, MD near the metro, is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that
is associated with FairVote Action, a 501 (c)(4) advocacy
organization. Our focus is electoral reform that gives voters a
greater choice, a stronger voice, and a more representative
democracy. Since 1992, FairVote has been the national leader in
developing and distributing the educational tools and analysis
necessary to increase public appreciation of the value of
ranked-choice voting (RCV). We value nonpartisanship and wish to
attract candidates who can work across the political and
ideological spectrum to advance FairVote reforms.
FairVote, the nation’s preeminent advocate for ranked choice voting
to strengthen democracy, is experiencing dynamic growth due, in
part, to a surge of interest in its mission, with new resources
that position us for significant growth and impact. We are doubling
down on our effort to encourage the adoption of RCV in national
elections while supporting movements and campaigns in states and
cities. With new senior leadership and attention to building a
healthy and robust organization with real potential to transform
The Finance Manager is an
integral member of a two-person Finance team supporting a growing
organization of 30+ FTEs. The Finance Manager is responsible for
managing budgets ($10 million - 2023), grants accounting, grants
management, and other nonprofit financial and administrative
operations supporting the accounting function for FairVote, a
501(c)3, and FairVote Action, a 501(c)4. The Accounting Manager
works closely with and reports to the Director of Finance.
This is a hybrid, Washington, DC-based position. Selected
candidates are expected to work in person at the Silver Spring, MD
office 1-2 days per week as necessary.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES Accounting and
Finance (75%): Budget & Reforecast
Grants, Contracts & Closing
- Works with the Director of Finance, the Senior Executive Team,
and other program leaders to prepare the annual program budget with
attention to forecasting all necessary programmatic details.
- Partners with the Director of Finance and the Leadership Team
(LT) to monitor and track grants and project expenses and revenues,
conduct monthly budget reconciliation, including updated budget
reports; monitor and track budget to actuals.
- Collaborates with the LT to maintain project budgets; train the
LT and staff to read and understand financial reports and manage
programs based on financial data.
- Produce budgets for grant proposals in collaboration with
program leaders and the Director of Finance.
- Monitors the schedule of grant reporting deadlines and
coordinates with colleagues to ensure financial reports are
prepared, approved, and submitted on time.
- Manages FairVote’s consultant contracts and grants agreements
- Manages sub-granting processes by soliciting and monitoring
reports from grantees and updating reporting.
- Oversees and maintains financial records on the Program’s
funding, grantees, and contractors work with staff to respond to
funder requests for financial information.
- Lead month-end closing including month-end reconciliation of
assigned balance sheet accounts, while providing detailed analyses
and explanations of all transactions.
- Review accounting entries to ensure they are in conformity with
- Reconciling bank accounts and credit card statements including
preparing related journal entries.
- Performs standard month-end and year-end close journal entries
by maintaining records and files.
- Calculate and maintain support for monthly accruals.
- Maintain prepaid journal entries and support for monthly
Financial Reporting and Technical Training (10%)
- Updates and maintains vendor databases and contracts tracking
schedule, including confirming payment instructions.
- Processes contributions, invoices, and deposits in
- Processes accounts payable using in Bill.com.
- Drafts vendor and supplier contracts, routing for execution,
and filing in appropriate folders.
- Processing and maintaining documentation of grants and
restricted donations including grant management/monitoring
expenditure (spending down) of grants and financial reporting on
allocation of grant money.
- Manages corporate credit cards program.
- Processes employees expense reports and related
- Tracks online donations to ensure all contributions are
deposited and properly recorded in Intacct.
- Physically depositing checks received and recording them in
- Maintains list of donor information required for 990
- Maintain fixed asset schedules including tracking additions and
calculating depreciation on an annual basis.
- Recommend, implement, and ensure internal controls and
processes are in place which monitor and protect the assets of the
- Maintain lease accounting adjustments.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Finance.
Payroll, Audit & Compliance (15%)
- In consultation with the Director of Finance, monitor, analyze
accounting data, perform variance analysis on budget vs. actual
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial and ad-hoc management
reports for the Senior Executive Team, LT, and the Board under the
direction of the Director of Finance
- Enforce proper accounting methods, policies, and
- Drafts, maintains and updates manuals, guidelines and policies
concerning the organization’s financial structure and
- Drafts, maintains and updates training instructions regarding
Sage Intacct and Bill.com.
- Conduct regular training (existing and new hires) on FairVote’s
accounting and payroll systems, policies, processes, tools and
Knowledge, Education, and Experience
- Process semi-monthly payroll, collaborate with People and
Culture Operations Manager to keep payroll records and
- Manage employee records in the payroll system as necessary for
- Coordinate Paid-Time-Off and payroll administration.
- Oversee payroll time and attendance system.
- Reconciles all payroll and benefits accounts.
- Makes bi-monthly contribution to 401k Plan and help with other
tasks related to maintaining the 401k plan.
- Prepares documents and manages annual workers compensation
- Issuance of W2s and 1099s.
- Reimbursement request validation and processing, which includes
that reimbursement requests meet the established guidelines and
- Prepare reports to help with payroll processing
- Responsible for payroll/unemployment state filing issues and
tax payments and compliance.
- Assists with the annual audit including preparing and gathering
documents requested by external auditors.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting, 5+ years’
experience in a similar, non-profit environment.
- Experience with c3/c4 accounting.
- Strong experience with Sage Intacct general ledger software
(min 2 years).
- 2-3 years payroll processing experience with ADP WorkforceNow
or other comparable payroll and HR system.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Professional experience using Google Workspace preferred
(Sheets, Docs, Drive).
- Ability to produce high quality materials in short timeframes
and manage several projects simultaneously.
- Strong organizational, critical thinking and analytical
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to appreciate and contribute to an environment that
values integrity, adaptability, reliability, collaboration, a
commitment to learning, and a sense of humor.
- Dedication to accuracy and superior attention to detail.
The FairVote office is located in Silver
Spring, MD. This position is based in Silver Spring, MD.
SALARY & BENEFITS
This is a full-time, exempt
position. FairVote offers a competitive benefits package for all
full-time employees. The salary range for this position is
$95K - $110K. How to Apply
will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Applications will be accepted
until the position is filled. Due to the volume of applications, we
will unfortunately not acknowledge receipt of all applications. No
phone calls, please. FairVote is an equal-opportunity
employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work
environment. FairVote places a high value on fostering an inclusive
workplace, and we are committed to building a team as diverse as
the American people. We do not make hiring or advancement, or other
employment decisions based on race, religion, gender, gender
identity & expression, sexual orientation, political
affiliation, pregnancy, disability, or any other status protected
by law. Individuals from across all spectrums who are passionate
about fixing our broken political system are strongly encouraged to