Work with the CEO, Board of Directors, and other staff, to plan,
lead and execute a comprehensive development and fundraising
program to ensure revenue goals are met for the short and long-term
needs of the organization. The Development Director will lead and
manage a high-functioning team to drive the development process,
annual and capital campaigns, and prospecting/solicitation to
continue growing our base of donors nationally.
Major Areas of Responsibility
Achieve Revenue Goals
Direct Major Donor Program
Steward Donor Experience and Ensure Satisfaction
Lead, Manage, and Hold Accountable Development Staff
Achieve Revenue Goals - Work with the CEO to develop and
execute a comprehensive development plan to ensure the achievement
of annual revenue goals including:
- Meet or exceed annual revenue plan. Determine strategies to
ensure revenue growth is maintained and expands Hope Reins’ donor
- Monitor and manage the pipeline of fundraising activities to
ensure monthly and quarterly revenue goals are achieved.
Forecasting revenue for budget planning.
- Research, write, and manage grant applications.
- Work closely with the Director of Marketing to coordinate and
implement fundraising campaigns. Ensuring outgoing communications
support fundraising goals.
- Serve as the staff liaison to the Development Committee.
- Monitor trends in the industry and adapt fundraising strategies
- Foster an understanding of philanthropy within the
Direct Major Donor Program - Grow major donor giving
through focus on portfolio management, cultivation, and
- Raise 90% of revenue annually in major donations
- Build a personal relationship with potential and current donors
through tours, meetings, major donor portfolio management and other
- Oversee the development and execution of a major donor
prospecting process to identify and cultivate relationships with
potential new donors. Ensuring the prospecting pathway is
- Ensure the development of relevant and informative fundraising
materials, such as case for support, to clearly communicate the
mission and needs of the organization.
- Develop and oversee a planned giving program to generate
bequests and legacy gifts.
- Manage a personal portfolio of ~ 100 major donors.
- Drive the ongoing implementation of our ask, thank, report
process to ensure donors feel valued and appreciated.
- Partner with the Director of Marketing to support effective
communication strategies that engage and inform the community of
our work such as annual and impact reports, newsletters, and
stories from the ranch.
Steward Donor Experience and Ensure Satisfaction -
Execute stewardship strategies to maintain a high donor retention
- Working closely with the Development Strategy and Operations
manager, oversee the management of donor records through our
Bloomerang system. Ensuring all gifts are processed and promptly
- Managing the ongoing donor care activities such as weekly thank
you calls and handwritten notes.
- Deepening connection with donors through special gifts for
recognition, stories of impact, tours, or events such as Behind the
- Working with development staff and the Director of Marketing to
implement a comprehensive donor stewardship program.
4. Lead, manage, and hold
accountable development staff
- Recruit, hire, onboard, and manage professional staff.
- Direct staff activities and provide performance feedback.
Encourage opportunities forprofessional growth.
- Lead staff by example, demonstrating successful cultivation,
solicitation, andstewardship of key donors.
- Set clearly defined and measurable goals for the team;
establish appropriate metrics toassess individual and team
- Serve as a member of the leadership team for Hope Reins.
Required Experience and Skills
A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university
A minimum of 10 years experience as a Development Director for a
non-profit organization with a proven track record of fundraising
Extensive knowledge of fundraising strategies and principles
including annual funds, major gifts, and donor stewardship
Strong team leader with experience managing staff and
Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills with the
ability to engage and influence a wide range of donors and key
Exceptional planning skills; Goals, results, and detail-oriented
expertise with the ability to set and meet deadlines.
Able to construct, articulate and implement written annual
development plans and prioritize tasks.
Self-starter with a flexible and adaptable work style. One who
can manage competing demands and work independently without close
oversight; creative and entrepreneurial with a sense of humor.
Proficient in databases, spreadsheets, presentations, and word
Demonstrated ability to:
Build and maintain positive relationships with others both
internally and externally
Work collaboratively and effectively on a small team with high
Be transparent with high-integrity leadership and a style that
motivates people to work hard while having fun
Project and uphold the highest standards of ethical conduct
Salary commensurate with experience
Unique work environment and culture in a ranch setting