About Climate Power
Climate Power is an
independent strategic communications and paid media operation
focused on building the political will and public support for bold
climate action. Founded by the Center for American Progress Action
Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club, Climate Power
integrates hard-hitting research, polling, state and national
earned media, digital and paid media to influence the national
conversation, embolden leaders to take immediate, bold climate
action, and expose climate deniers and their oil and gas lobby
allies. About This Role
Climate Power is seeking a Managing Director, Development to work
with the Executive Director and senior leadership team to help
guide and implement the development plan for the organization. The
Managing Director, Development will work closely with the Executive
Director to create, lead and direct all development, donor events,
and fundraising efforts on behalf of Climate Power. They will
develop and implement fundraising plans to ensure the organization
meets its goals. This position reports directly to the Chief of
Staff and will work with organization leadership to support the
mission of elevating climate and clean energy solutions into the
political conversation, as well as identifying opportunities to
shift the national political narrative. This position will need to
work independently and deliver high-quality writing, fundraising,
and research support. Primary Responsibilities
- Serve as a principal driver of fundraising and development
success for Climate Power.
- Work closely with the Executive Team and Senior Leadership Team
on all development, messaging, marketing, events, branding, and
positioning efforts for the organization.
- Manage the Development Manager and additional administrative
staff. Coordinate with consultants on all fundraising efforts.
- Oversee the development of all donor materials including
proposals and grant reports, including writing and editing
- Establish fundraising and revenue projections for the
organization—and drive success against those benchmarks
- Develop and implement stewardship programs and build major
donor relationships with key supporters.
- Develop both short and long term strategies for increasing
reach and visibility of Climate Power.
- Liaison with the Executive Team to provide cross functional
planning and knowledge exchange.
- Provide thought leadership for increased growth, opportunities
for innovation, and efforts to increase diversity among donors and
diversification of gifts.
- Represent Climate Power at speaking engagements, fundraising
events, and in donor communications.
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned as need and
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 10 years of relevant prior work experience in direct
fundraising and development in non-profit or political
- 5 years of people and/or project management experience;
expertise in leading departments and diverse teams and managing
complex projects, including experience working with senior-level
executives and Board Members.
- Proven track record of raising over $10M annually.
- Must be a strategic thinker and partner with the Senior
Leadership Team and able to communicate and action organizational
goals, strategies, and tactics.
- Clear understanding of the political landscape, especially as
relating to climate justice.
- Excellent judgment in navigating complex issues and making
difficult Collaborative leader; Must be able to work both
collaboratively and independently
- Strong organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to meet
deadlines, manage competing priorities with minimal
- Strong people skills and exceptional team player
- Effective communicator—both written and oral
- Takes initiative, is creative and resourceful.
- Ability to be a proactive self-starter, working independently
to move work forward to successful completion;
- Willingness to stay up to date on best practices and trends
relative to the work and projects in their purview.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google
$163,558 - $194,800 a year Compensation is based on
experience. We offer a comprehensive benefit package including
medical, dental, vision insurance, 401(k) plan, student loan
repayment assistance, and generous paid time off.
Climate Power is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes
applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race,
color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status,
disability, religious or political affiliation, or sexual