Director of Institutional Advancement
Director of Institutional Advancement
The Director of Institutional Advancement is responsible for providing strategic oversight to the Holy Cross advancement office with the goal of inspiring new levels of engagement, commitment, and philanthropic support. The Director will plan, organize, manage, direct, execute and oversee all aspects of advancement including but not limited to fundraising, annual giving, major gifts, planned giving, and capital campaigns.
The Director of Institutional Advancement serves as an ambassador and representative of Holy Cross externally and is a key partner to a broad team of colleagues across the institution. The Director collaborates closely with the Headmaster and Board of Directors in all development endeavors.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter, inspiring leader, committed to the mission of Holy Cross with eagerness to advance the institution. Ideal candidates can independently anticipate opportunities and challenges and create and implement comprehensive fundraising and development strategies and best practices.
The Director of Institutional Advancement will report to the Headmaster.
This is a twelve-month, exempt position with expectations to work additional hours as needed, including evenings and weekends, to support all school needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant related field required.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a well-rounded development professional cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding individual and institutional major gifts and grants as well as capital campaigns required.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Fundraising and planned giving certification, such as CFRE, a plus.
- Demonstrated success in creating and executing development strategy, tracking fundraising performance, establishing, and developing solid donor relationships and meeting fundraising goals.
- Outstanding interpersonal, written, and verbal communication; excellent presentation skills.
- Adaptable and flexible, with ability to manage several priorities simultaneously and strong time management skills.
- Experience managing and motivating volunteers, leadership, boards, and committees.
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Manages, directs, and executes all aspects of fundraising and development, including but not limited to, fundraising, annual giving, major gifts, planned giving, and capital campaigns.
- Identifies and implements new revenue streams, with a focus on increasing sustainable unrestricted, private revenue.
- Leads the creation and growth of a framework for individual giving.
- Oversees grant seeking including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
- Partners with the Headmaster and IA team to deepen existing donor relationships and cultivate new ones.
- Coordinates major gifts, including cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individual, corporate, foundation, and grants and gifts.
- Coordinates the annual fund program, including direct mail, social media, phone solicitation, volunteer recruitment and program planning.
- Demonstrates community involvement to enhance the Holy Cross network in the community.
- Mentors, trains, manages, supervises, and develops IA team members.
- Continually reviews departmental infrastructure to ensure support of Holy Cross’s revenue growth.
- Effectively manages the IA department’s day-to-day operations, budget, and income forecasts.
- Provides strategic oversight to all donor materials, and strategic support on the full range of external stakeholder communications.
- Partners with the CFO to sustain efficient, effective, and transparent financial tracking and reporting processes.
- Develops and maintains a portfolio of ongoing relationships with foundations and major individual and institutional donors.
- Develops processes and collaborates with all other departments, faculty, and staff to create an understanding of and appreciation for institutional advancement.
- Serves as an active member of the Headmaster’s Cabinet, the senior leadership team; responsible for participating in weekly Cabinet meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strategic thinker and enthusiastic self-starter with deep knowledge of all aspects of development and fundraising.
- Knowledge of fundraising best practices with ability to effectively apply these practices.
- Ability to create strong and sustainable relationships with donors, alumni, board members, faculty, staff, and other stakeholders.
- Continuous learner with a demonstrated commitment to professional development, as it applies to Institutional Advancement.
- High degree of professionalism with the ability to manage multiple competing priorities and initiatives while consistently demonstrating sound judgement.
- Effective communicator and collaborator with ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven leadership, supervision, and team building skills.
- Ability to offer sound strategic advice to senior leadership.
- Donor focused, tenacious, credible, mission driven. Strong character with high moral and ethical values.
- Exceptional communication and influencing skills; persuasive, credible communicator both written and verbal. The ability to interact with a variety of people and clearly convey information.
The salary range starts at $85,000; salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. A comprehensive benefits package is provided.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter including salary requirement
- Current resume
- List of professional references with contact information; references will be contacted only with prior approval
About Holy Cross School
Located in New Orleans, Louisiana and celebrating its 174th year, Holy Cross School is the only Catholic, PreK – 12th grade, all boys’ educational institution in Louisiana. Our development of boys to men centers on our overall educational philosophy in building the whole man: Mind and Heart, Body and Soul. Serving students in grades PreK – 12th grade, the Holy Cross School experience provides character and leadership development, unsurpassed facilities, exceptional arts, unequalled advanced placement opportunities, and a highly competitive athletics program.
Apply for Director of Institutional Advancement
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert