Director of Institutional Advancement
The Director of Institutional Advancement is responsible for
providing strategic oversight to the Holy Cross advancement office
with the goal of inspiring new levels of engagement, commitment,
and philanthropic support. The Director will plan, organize,
manage, direct, execute and oversee all aspects of advancement
including but not limited to fundraising, annual giving, major
gifts, planned giving, and capital campaigns.
The Director of Institutional Advancement serves as an
ambassador and representative of Holy Cross externally and is a key
partner to a broad team of colleagues across the institution. The
Director collaborates closely with the Headmaster and Board of
Directors in all development endeavors.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter, inspiring leader,
committed to the mission of Holy Cross with eagerness to advance
the institution. Ideal candidates can independently anticipate
opportunities and challenges and create and implement comprehensive
fundraising and development strategies and best practices.
The Director of Institutional Advancement will report to the
This is a twelve-month, exempt position with expectations to
work additional hours as needed, including evenings and weekends,
to support all school needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant related field required.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a well-rounded development
professional cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding individual and
institutional major gifts and grants as well as capital campaigns
- Supervisory experience required.
- Fundraising and planned giving certification, such as CFRE, a
- Demonstrated success in creating and executing development
strategy, tracking fundraising performance, establishing, and
developing solid donor relationships and meeting fundraising
- Outstanding interpersonal, written, and verbal communication;
excellent presentation skills.
- Adaptable and flexible, with ability to manage several
priorities simultaneously and strong time management skills.
- Experience managing and motivating volunteers, leadership,
boards, and committees.
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
Primary Duties &
- Manages, directs, and executes all aspects of fundraising and
development, including but not limited to, fundraising, annual
giving, major gifts, planned giving, and capital campaigns.
- Identifies and implements new revenue streams, with a focus on
increasing sustainable unrestricted, private revenue.
- Leads the creation and growth of a framework for individual
- Oversees grant seeking including research, proposal writing,
and reporting requirements.
- Partners with the Headmaster and IA team to deepen existing
donor relationships and cultivate new ones.
- Coordinates major gifts, including cultivation, solicitation,
and stewardship of individual, corporate, foundation, and grants
- Coordinates the annual fund program, including direct mail,
social media, phone solicitation, volunteer recruitment and program
- Demonstrates community involvement to enhance the Holy Cross
network in the community.
- Mentors, trains, manages, supervises, and develops IA team
- Continually reviews departmental infrastructure to ensure
support of Holy Cross’s revenue growth.
- Effectively manages the IA department’s day-to-day operations,
budget, and income forecasts.
- Provides strategic oversight to all donor materials, and
strategic support on the full range of external stakeholder
- Partners with the CFO to sustain efficient, effective, and
transparent financial tracking and reporting processes.
- Develops and maintains a portfolio of ongoing relationships
with foundations and major individual and institutional
- Develops processes and collaborates with all other departments,
faculty, and staff to create an understanding of and appreciation
for institutional advancement.
- Serves as an active member of the Headmaster’s Cabinet, the
senior leadership team; responsible for participating in weekly
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and
- Strategic thinker and enthusiastic self-starter with deep
knowledge of all aspects of development and fundraising.
- Knowledge of fundraising best practices with ability to
effectively apply these practices.
- Ability to create strong and sustainable relationships with
donors, alumni, board members, faculty, staff, and other
- Continuous learner with a demonstrated commitment to
professional development, as it applies to Institutional
- High degree of professionalism with the ability to manage
multiple competing priorities and initiatives while consistently
demonstrating sound judgement.
- Effective communicator and collaborator with ability to work
both independently and as part of a team.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven leadership, supervision, and team building skills.
- Ability to offer sound strategic advice to senior
- Donor focused, tenacious, credible, mission driven. Strong
character with high moral and ethical values.
- Exceptional communication and influencing skills; persuasive,
credible communicator both written and verbal. The ability to
interact with a variety of people and clearly convey
The salary range starts at $85,000; salary is commensurate with
qualifications and experience. A comprehensive benefits package is
Interested and qualified candidates should submit the following
materials to email@example.com:
- Cover letter including salary requirement
- Current resume
- List of professional references with contact information;
references will be contacted only with prior approval
About Holy Cross School
Located in New Orleans, Louisiana and celebrating its 174th
year, Holy Cross School is the only Catholic, PreK – 12th grade,
all boys’ educational institution in Louisiana. Our development of
boys to men centers on our overall educational philosophy in
building the whole man: Mind and Heart, Body and Soul. Serving
students in grades PreK – 12th grade, the Holy Cross School
experience provides character and leadership development,
unsurpassed facilities, exceptional arts, unequalled advanced
placement opportunities, and a highly competitive athletics