Democracy Fund is a foundation working to defend American
democracy and challenge it to be more open and just. Created by
eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, Democracy Fund has
made more than $200 million in grants to support free and fair
elections, a vibrant and diverse public square, effective and
accountable government, and a just and inclusive society. In
addition to grantmaking, Democracy Fund advocates for better
solutions and works with partners to grow philanthropic support for
our democracy. To learn more, visit www.democracyfund.org and www.democracyfundvoice.org.
Democracy Fund champions leaders and organizations that defend
democracy and challenge our political system to be more open, just,
resilient, and trustworthy. We believe that experimentation,
learning, and adaptation are key to the health and resilience of
any system, whether it is our organization or the American
political system. As grantmakers, we focus on listening
and being of service to our grantees, who are visionaries
and our collaborators, and on ways we can more deeply embed
diversity, equity, and inclusion as values central to the success
of our work and mission.
Our Public Square Program focuses on advancing digital democracy
and equitable journalism to support our vision of all communities
seeing themselves — their needs, concerns, and dreams — fully and
authentically reflected in the public square. We support
trailblazing journalists of color, build local news ecosystems,
fuel coalitions holding social media platforms accountable, and
advocate for media policy that serves the public. As a result,
journalism and technology will enable people to build and wield
power to create a multi-racial democracy where we all can thrive.
The team coordinator provides high-level administrative and
program support to the Public Square Program team. A systems
thinker, the team coordinator is the team’s hub, connecting and
working with every part of our program and with external audiences,
such as grantees and partners, to support open communications,
smooth collaboration, and excellence in grantmaking. The team
coordinator will help us design and manage internal team processes,
coordinate meetings and events, support grantees, and provide
administrative support for the team and across the organization.
This position has a two-year term, with the possibility for
renewal, and reports to the associate director, Public Square
We are looking for someone who thrives in a fast-paced,
mission-driven, entrepreneurial environment and who brings a keen
attention to detail. The successful candidate will be a
resourceful, highly collaborative team player who possesses strong
written and verbal communication, administrative, and
organizational skills, and who excels at managing a realistic
balance among multiple priorities. Able to work independently on
projects from conception to completion, the ideal candidate will
enjoy setting and meeting deadlines, designing and refining
seamless processes, and enhancing internal communication.
OPERATIONAL SYSTEMS AND PROCESSES
- Design and facilitate core operational systems and processes
that help the team run smoothly.
- Support team-wide scheduling and manage a team calendar.
Occasionally manage scheduling for individual team members.
- For team meetings, assure proper preparation and communication
across the team by working with staff to ensure compilation of
relevant background information, taking notes, and supporting
- Work with Democracy Fund staff and consultants to manage
contract administration, expenses, and invoices.
- Support team-wide budgeting processes, such as annual planning,
tracking spending, and regular re-forecasting.
- Manage and organize team data — including contacts, files, and
grantee and evaluation data — and use discretion and good judgment
when managing documents with confidential information.
COMMUNICATIONS AND EVENTS
- Help ensure clear communication across the Public Square
Program team and between the team and the broader
- Track, manage, and follow up on external contacts with
professionalism, cultivating ongoing relationships as
- Provide support for Democracy Fund’s sponsorships and
honorariums, including managing contracts and planning and
preparing communications materials.
- Manage logistics and coordinate with partners for grantee and
network-building events, including grantee gatherings, partner
funder events, public panels, and receptions.
- Support management and tracking of the Public Square Program’s
grant pipeline, tracking deadlines, and due dates for reports and
- Support recurring grantee meetings, including scheduling, note
taking, and sharing relevant information with the team and
- Support grantee communications, including events, newsletters,
and announcements, and manage our grantee contact list.
- Collaborate with staff across the Public Square Program to
support its evolving strategy.
- Serve as a team player with the ability to build strong
- Work effectively with staff at all levels, balancing projects
and priorities for multiple team members.
- Develop and support strong cross-organizational connections
with other administrative staff and the Operations team to build
and refine systems.
- Contribute to a team culture that values collaboration,
positivity, and transparency and that drives impact through
continuous improvement and learning.
- Actively work to support the success of other Democracy Fund
team members and cultivate an organizational culture that is highly
collaborative, positive, and productive.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS
- Deep commitment to racial equity and justice and a passion for
strengthening American democracy.
- Two to four years of experience supporting a high-performing
team or senior-level management, preferably in a nonprofit
- Proven track record of managing competing deadlines, proactive
problem solving, and exercising good judgment in prioritizing
- Excellent attention to detail and experience with project
- Demonstrated ability to plan, schedule, execute, and staff
- Superb interpersonal skills and proven ability to build
relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board members,
and external partners who bring diverse perspectives and lived
experience. Strong grasp of community building and management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a
demonstrated ability to deliver clear, concise, and accurate
written work products.
- Trusted professional with proven experience handling
confidential information with discretion.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and adaptable to working in a
dynamic entrepreneurial environment.
- High comfort with Microsoft Office, Google docs, and a range of
online systems and tools.
- Experience working with a hybrid team is a plus.
- Experience managing contracts and/or relationships with outside
partners or vendors is a plus.
- Experience tracking expenses or preparing and managing budgets
is a plus.
- Democracy Fund follows a hybrid-remote and in-office model that
enables flexibility and meets collaboration needs. New staff are
expected to reside in the DMV. All employees, regardless of
location, will be expected in the office several days a
Salary range begins at $69,445 per year.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume
through the Jobs page on our
website. Applications submitted without a cover letter
or lacking the desired years of experience will not be
considered. Take this opportunity to tell us about
yourself and why you’re interested in joining our team. No calls
Democracy Fund is committed to a diverse workplace, seeking
voices and expertise from people from across the political
spectrum. Our board, staff, advisors, and grantees include
Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. Democracy Fund is an
Equal Opportunity Employer that encourages candidates of all ages,
color, ethnic background, country of origin, religion, disability
status, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity to