The Southern Environmental Law Center is seeking a Development
Information Specialist in our Charlottesville office. This
individual will join our Development Information Systems team and
report to our Development Information Manager. The Development
Information Specialist will further SELC’s fundraising goals
through discovery of information about individuals and foundations
through research, and managing related donor and prospect
information (entering, updating, and retrieving data) in our
Salesforce database. This is an excellent opportunity to join a
highly successful, nationally recognized organization that is
effectively addressing some of the most pressing and challenging
environmental issues throughout the South and the nation.
The ideal candidate will have a strong sense of curiosity and
willingness to dedicate attention to detail, excellent analytical
skills, and the ability to think strategically.
SELC currently has a hybrid work model that offers employees the
flexibility to work at home up to two days per week. This is a
- Conducts prospect research and analyzes and synthesizes
research findings to assess financial capacity, philanthropic
interest, giving propensity and connectivity of current and
- Integrates prospect data gathered from various research sources
into Salesforce database and standardized written
- Provides pertinent, accurate and verifiable information for use
by development officers and executives by deadlines
- Participates in data entry and hygiene efforts, including
de-duplicating and address updates.
- Partners with other members of the DIS team to ensure data
- Serves as back-up for gift processing and
- Assists the DIS team with other tasks as
- Handles confidential information with sensitivity, integrity,
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent mix of education and
- Minimum two years of relevant experience, ideally in an
operations support, administrative, research, or similar
Development/fundraising role within a nonprofit.
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to identify and
analyze philanthropic patterns, trends, and
- Ability to actively listen, comprehend and retain complex
information and recall details, concepts and critical points of
- Knowledge of basic research practices and techniques using
online databases, websites, and other publicly available
- Ability to prioritize work and perform multiple tasks
simultaneously while adhering to deadlines.
- Demonstrates a collaborative, team-oriented approach, as well
as the ability to work independently.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication
- Highly organized and detail-oriented.
- You are reliable, responsive, and courteous. This is a key
quality for all donor and team interactions.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs including Word and
- A genuine interest in and commitment to helping SELC create and
foster a more diverse, inclusive, and equitable
- Experience with Salesforce NPSP preferred.
- Familiarity with nonprofit development/fundraising work a
- Experience with iWave a plus.
The Southern Environmental Law Center is one of the nation’s
most powerful defenders of the environment, rooted in the South.
With a long track record, SELC takes on the toughest environmental
challenges in court, in government, and in our communities to
protect our region’s air, water, climate, wildlife, lands, and
people. Nonprofit and nonpartisan, the organization has a staff of
over 200, including more than 100 attorneys, and is headquartered
in Charlottesville, VA., with offices in Asheville, Atlanta,
Birmingham, Chapel Hill, Charleston, Nashville, Richmond, and
At our core, we are place-based, rooted in our region, and
connected with the communities and clients we serve. We believe in
an equitable and inclusive workplace that reflects the rich racial
and cultural diversity of our region and allows diverse
perspectives to come to the forefront. We approach our work with
the highest level of integrity, holding ourselves to high standards
with an emphasis on honesty, accountability, and thoughtfulness. We
value collaboration and camaraderie, realizing we are strongest
when we work together and knowing that everyone has a critical role
to play. We strive for impact through a strategic, bold, pragmatic,
and ambitious outlook that is dedicated to achieving powerful
results. We believe in these values and in the power of SELC. We
hope you consider joining us. Learn more at https://www.southernenvironment.org/.
SELC offers salaries competitive with other leading
environmental nonprofits nationally and provides an excellent
benefits package. The starting salary range for this position is
$50,000- $60,000, commensurate with experience. For more details
about our benefits package, please visit our Careers page. SELC
provides financial assistance for anyone relocating for a position
To apply, click on the ‘Apply’ button below to be directed to an
online application where you may upload your application materials.
Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume. The initial
deadline for receipt of complete applications is 6/30/2023.
However, applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the
position is filled.
SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering
an inclusive workplace environment. We are eager to welcome new
team members who share this commitment. We still have much progress
to make, but our goal is to create and maintain a staff that, at
every level, reflects the rich racial and
cultural diversity of the communities where we work and the clients
that we serve. Persons of all backgrounds—including people of
color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ
candidates—are strongly encouraged to apply.