We’re looking for a seasoned leader to help significantly grow
our revenues from individual giving, especially major gifts. The
successful candidate will be an external-facing fundraiser who
loves to talk with people every day, whether they’re old friends or
cold contacts; an excellent organizer who knows how to task,
motivate, and hold team members accountable; and a strategic
thinker who thrives on relationship building, organizational
development, and growth.
Location: Remote with frequent travel, or in our Portland, Maine
Join the fight for public health and environmental justice! Help
secure equal access for all people to safe food and drinking water,
healthy homes, and products that are toxic-free and
climate-friendly. Help empower impacted communities, end racial
disparities, prevent plastic pollution, and much more.
Defend Our Health works nationally and at the state level to fix
our broken chemical safety system and promote a just and
sustainable materials economy. We use the best science and
grassroots power to persuade decision-makers in government and
industry to act on solutions.
You’ll report directly to the Executive Director. You’ll
supervise a development team with responsibility for raising more
than $2 million annually that supports 14 staff members.
- Grow our major donor development program, lead our moves
management system for stewardship and cultivation, and manage donor
portfolios for yourself and other leaders
- Lead a staff development team also responsible for grants
management, fund appeals, events, corporate gifts, database
management, and development-related research
- Lead all analysis and planning for fund development, including
forecasting revenue and expenses, to support our annual budget,
fundraising campaigns, and strategic plan
- Collaborate with our Communications and Program Teams, and
Board of Directors, to build a culture of philanthropy that
integrates fundraising activities across the entire
- Advise the Executive Director on organizational priorities and
- Seven years of directly relevant experience with progressively
- Demonstrated success leading major donor development and major
- Strong external-facing communications ability to listen,
engage, and build relationships
- Extremely well-organized with excellent attention to detail and
- Proven ability to organize, support and motivate others to
engage in grassroots fundraising
- Experience with fundraising metrics and analytics, revenue
forecasting, and budget planning
- Fully capable in the use of contact relationship management and
- With a demonstrated commitment to racial, economic, and
- Direct experience in raising funds to support advocacy and
- Experience in working on environmental public health and
environmental justice issues
- Ability to work with subject matter experts to translate
complexity into plain language
- Spanish-language fluency and/or other measures of
Benefits: Very competitive, with health
insurance, retirement, flexible work schedule and more
Defend Our Health is an equal opportunity employer committed to
diversity, equity, inclusion, justice and access in all that we do.
Candidates from historically under-represented constituencies are
strongly encouraged to apply. Currently, fifty percent of our staff
identify as people of color and a majority are women, and are
represented at all levels of the organization.
Our physical office is located in Portland, Maine – one the of
best small cities in America that enjoys a high quality of place.
Currently, most staff work remotely in eight different states with
semi-regular in-person forays to the central office and with
frequent virtual communication.