TITLE: Senior Major Gifts Officer
REPORTS TO: Director of Development, New
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
LOCATION: Boston, MA
Grade/Class: Grade H, Exempt, PSA
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
ADL is the leading anti-hate organization in the world. Founded
in 1913, its timeless mission is “to stop the defamation of the
Jewish people and to secure justice and fair treatment to all.”
Today, ADL continues to fight all forms of antisemitism and bias,
using innovation and partnerships to drive impact. A global leader
in combating antisemitism, countering extremism and battling
bigotry wherever and whenever it happens, ADL works to protect
democracy and ensure a just and inclusive society for
Reporting to the Director of Development,
the Senior Major Gifts Officer will manage a robust
portfolio of current and prospective donors with the capacity
to make high six-figure and seven-figure gifts. Working
within the highly collaborative environment of a dynamic
fundraising team, the Senior Major Gifts Officer will
play an integral role in achieving annual fundraising objectives
and in advancing ADL’s priorities. The Senior Major
Gifts Officer will provide guidance to others on major
gifts strategies and build partnerships with colleagues
across ADL to understand funding priorities and engage them as
needed to build strong donor relationships.
- Independently manage a portfolio of 75-100
individual major gift prospects through all phases of
the donor engagement process in accordance with ADL’s
policies, procedures and funding priorities.
- Demonstrate expert knowledge of the discipline of
frontline fundraising and serve as a coach to other team
- Serve as trusted philanthropic advisor to qualified major
gift prospects and demonstrate reliable and donor-centric
- Meet agreed-upon fundraising goals and metrics by identifying
and working with major gift prospects through
successful gift closings.
- Actively participate in Development team meetings to
coordinate prospect review and discuss specific prospect strategies
as they relate to prioritized fundraising needs.
- Evaluate various gift opportunities and giving vehicles;
recommend the most suitable for particular donors.
- Work closely with senior staff to develop appropriate content
for major donor meetings and events.
- Collaborate with colleagues in the planning and execution of
curated and bespoke high-level cultivation and solicitation events
associated with the major gift and planned giving
- Foster and maintain effective relationships across ADL Regions,
Divisions, and CSC.
- Ensure all donor/prospect activities and communications are
recorded in the CRM database in accordance with CSC policies and
- Serve as an effective and enthusiastic ADL spokesperson and
representative. Maintain an active, current body of knowledge of
ADL and its mission, programs, activities, institutional needs, and
- Assist the Director of Development in special assignments to
ensure long-term donor engagement and retention and support the
successful completion of annual fundraising goals.
- Outstanding strategic thinking and analytical skills,
interpersonal skills, sound judgment, and experience handling
highly confidential information.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, ability to
communicate concepts simply, clearly, and effectively, both in
writing and conversation, superior attention to detail and
exceptional storytelling skills.
- Display a positive attitude and show good judgment, common
sense, and excellent listening skills; commitment to transparency,
accountability, and direct communication.
- The ability to anticipate and be responsive to multiple
stakeholders' needs simultaneously, internally, and externally,
including individual donors and prospects.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to see
projects through to completion while meeting tight
- Must be self-motivated, have initiative and work independently,
and be part of a team.
- Ability to successfully navigate and thrive in a complex
- Commitment to advancing the mission and goals of the
- Significant fundraising experience including a substantial
track record of soliciting and closing six-figure
and seven-figure gifts, including multi-year
- Pace setter in developing sophisticated donor
- Prior experience working with fundraising databases
(Salesforce), MS Office applications and online collaboration
- Experience in a national organization with an affiliate or
chapter structure a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience
- ADL COVID-19 Protocol (updated
periodically): ADL is adhering to public
health guidance regarding COVID-19. ADL will require that all
employees are vaccinated with exceptions for medical and religious
accommodations. ADL is requiring proof of vaccination. ADL is a
hybrid environment; this role may require 3 days in the
- This position has a salary range of $89,000 to $128,300. This
salary range is reflective of a position based in Boston,
Masssachusetts. Please note that actual salaries are commensurate
with experience and reflect the budget for a given position, and
since ADL has a location-based compensation structure, there may be
a different range for candidates in other locations. For an
overview of our total rewards package, please visit https://www.adl.org/about/careers.
ADL values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages
women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with
disabilities, members of underrepresented ethnic groups,
foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. ADL is an equal
opportunity employer. Recruitment, hiring, promotions and other
terms, conditions and privileges of employment shall be maintained
in a manner which does not discriminate on the basis of age, race,
creed, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation,
gender expression, marital status, physical or mental disability,
veteran status, or military status, or in violation of any
applicable Federal, state or local
ADL will ensure that individuals with disabilities are
provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job
application or interview process, to perform essential job
functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of
employment. For individuals with disabilities who would like to
request an accommodation to support the interview process, please
contact Talent & Knowledge at email@example.com.
ADL will consider for employment qualified applicants with
criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of
the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and all other applicable State,
Local, and Federal laws.
The information in this job description indicates the
general nature and level of work expected of employees in this
classification. It is not designed to contain, or be interpreted
as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities,
qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to
this job, nor is it to be interpreted as a contract for