The Director of Development (DOD) leads the strategic direction and
implementation of the Presidential Precinct’s fundraising.
As the organization’s primary development professional, the DOD
collaborates closely with five colleagues, leveraging their
competencies and fundraising across multiple revenue streams.
Primary funding sources for the Precinct under the DOD’s management
include annual and major giving along with corporate and foundation
giving. The DOD supervises and receives support from a Development
The DOD is a senior staff member who collaborates closely and
frequently with the CEO, staff, and organizational leadership. The
DOD leads the ongoing work of ensuring the financial health and
success of the organization.
The position requires the ability to work independently, under
the general direction of the CEO, while meeting timelines and
- Develop and lead implementation of an annual work plan that
achieves set fundraising objectives, across revenue sources. The
plan is tied to the Precinct’s strategic plan (created every three
years and updated on an annual basis). The annual plan should
include the following components: annual and major giving;
corporate and foundation support for signature programs and general
operations; prospect pipeline development across revenue sources;
board and leadership development; special events; stewardship
activities and donor acknowledgement.
- Serve as a front-line fundraiser responsible for the
identification, qualification, cultivation, and stewardship of a
national and growing international portfolio of donors and
- Following the completion of a revised 2023 strategic plan and a
campaign feasibility study, launch a comprehensive endowment
campaign to ensure the long-term sustainability of the
- Leverage engagement of Board members and other key volunteers
in all aspects of Precinct’s development program.
- Develop ongoing themed solicitations tied to key events
throughout the calendar year. Communications will include print and
online distribution to individual donors and prospects.
- Develop stewardship materials for donors and prospects across
- Ensure appropriate, timely, and accurate acknowledgement of all
individual, corporate, foundation, and government contributions;
including adherence to sponsorship requirements and other
- With the support of the Development Officer, maintain and
enhance a record system of donors, donor prospects, board
prospects, and prospective corporate and foundation
- Begin and grow a systemic outreach program addressed to a
targeted list of foundations and corporations in an effort to
develop regular grant applications and funding proposals to
- Staff the CEO, Board Chair, and trustees as needed to support
all advancement programming, to include briefings, talking points,
and correspondence as needed.
- Manage the Presidential Precinct’s Global Advisory Council, a
key group of global volunteers who advise staff on programs and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Proven track record of five or more years of fundraising
experience, with preference for experience within the
Charlottesville area and throughout Virginia.
- Experience soliciting and closing six figure gifts .
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong and positive interpersonal skills.
- Ability to interface and build connections with senior
executives and leaders at major multi-national corporations and
- Strong organizational and administrative skills demonstrated by
the ability to handle simultaneous tasks; detail-oriented with high
level of accuracy.
- Strong knowledge of philanthropy, fundraising techniques, and
the nonprofit world, especially as related to foundations,
corporations, and government agencies.
- Proficiency with Bloomerang, or similar fundraising database
- Willingness to travel, occasionally overnight.
Please send a cover letter and resume via email
Review of applications will begin on June 15th and the position
will remain open until filled.
The annual salary will range from $75-100k,
commensurate with experience.
The Presidential Precinct is an Equal Opportunity
Employer. For more information, please visit our website
We look forward to hearing from you!