Position: Chief Development Officer
Location: White Plains, NY
Reports to: CEO
Lifting Up Westchester (LUW) provides life-changing support to
people who have lost their housing or are struggling to meet other
basic needs. We work together with those we serve to build a more
secure future for them and their families. Based in White Plains,
New York, we provide emergency assistance, shelter, housing,
employment and educational opportunities throughout Westchester
LUW is committed to being a best-in-class employer with an
inclusive and supportive culture and work environment. To that end
, we are seeking a Chief Development Officer reporting to the CEO
who exhibits intellectual curiosity, including the ability to
listen to and learn from multiple voices, has the capacity to build
strong working relationships and collaborate with multiple
stakeholders, and can establish a rapport with donors, volunteers,
and all other members of the LUW community.
The Chief Development Officer will be responsible for our
fundraising, marketing and communications, and volunteer outreach
functions. This is an exciting opportunity for a dynamic,
entrepreneurial, solutions oriented, and hands-on professional to
build on the organization’s fundraising and communications
operation and to grow its $9 million organizational budget.
If you are an engaging and supportive leader, have a strong
background in non-profit development and communication functions,
have a commitment to excellence, have good people skills, and a
proven record of fundraising success, we encourage you to
• Planning, organizing, directing, and evaluating all fundraising
strategies and activities including donor relationship management,
new donor cultivation, grant applications, direct mail campaigns,
and special events (gala and golf outing).
• Creating and implementing an annual donor and community centric
communications strategy including website, print, email, and social
• Supervising the activities of the full time Communication &
Events Manager, Database & Stewardship Associate and
• Working with grant writing consultant to find new funding
sources, create “winning” grant applications (we submit over 90
grant applications each year), prepare grant reports, and cultivate
• Working with graphic design consultant to prepare marketing
materials that maintain the LUW brand.
• Stewardship of existing and potential new donors at all
• Growing the major donor program including qualifying,
cultivating, soliciting, and closing gifts.
• Identifying and securing sponsorships for new and ongoing
programs, events, and capital projects.
• Working with the Board Development Committee to promote a
cohesive team-based approach to fundraising.
• Prepare and manage a budget and meet targeted fundraising goals
($2 million for 2023).
• Write and edit written materials for online and print
publications and events including the annual donor impact report,
newsletters, brochures, fact sheets, presentations, etc.
• Provides vital input in strategic and operational planning within
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• 7-10 years of progressive, professional donor development and
• Preferred experience in multiple fundraising areas such as annual
fund, major gifts, planned giving, events, sponsorships, and grant
• Outstanding verbal, written and presentation skills and the
ability to effectively articulate the mission with poise, tact, and
composure to a variety of audiences.
• Passionate about stewardship with a demonstrated ability to build
and maintain relationships with a wide array of stakeholders (e.g.
donors, board members, corporations, foundations).
• Excellent donor & community centric strategic writing and
• Demonstrated experience in securing major gifts. Established
donor relationships, a plus.
• Knowledge of research based best practices and ability to perform
rigorous analysis of fundraising strategies aiming for ongoing
• Self-motivated with highly developed administrative skills, the
ability to multitask, and perform at a high level without regular
• Excellent organizational and time management skills with a proven
track record of delivering superior results while managing multiple
and time sensitive priorities simultaneously.
• Interacts effectively and builds trust with diverse audiences and
has demonstrated ability to work across differences. Communicates
clearly and directly, continually able to hear, reflect, and act on
feedback related to identity and equity with the aim to
• Creative with a keen graphic sense and comfortable with social
• Bachelor's degree required; master’s desired. Education in
Nonprofit Management or Communications preferred. CFRE designation
is a plus.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office.
• Experience working with donor database software (with particular
emphasis on maintaining meticulous donor and prospect records) and
client tracking software, a plus.
• Experience leading a department and working with outside
Please email your cover letter and resume to:
email@example.com Attention Carolyn Kihm, Human
Resources Director. We offer a competitive benefits package along
with generous paid time off. Salary range $115,000 to $130,000
based upon experience.
Lifting Up Westchester is committed to workforce diversity.
Qualified applicants will receive full consideration without regard
to age, race, color, ethnic background, religion, gender, sexual
orientation, national origin or disability.