Established in 2003, the University of Massachusetts
Amherst Foundation (UMAF), a private 501(c)(3) nonprofit
organization, exists to raise philanthropic funds in support of the
University of Massachusetts Amherst’s mission and highest
aspirations. Located on the Amherst campus and wholly dedicated to
supporting the University’s mission, UMAF is a separately governed
nonprofit organization with its own health, wellness, and
retirement benefits. UMAF serves the University of
Massachusetts Amherst community by serving as a best practices
resource for fundraising strategy and implementation. The UMAF team
encompasses all University Advancement operations and includes
alumni and donor communications, engagement, cultivation, and
annual, major and principal gift solicitation, as well as gift
processing, stewardship, and corporate and foundation relations.
Through best-in-class delivery, UMAF creates a bridge between
donors and the schools, programs, faculty, and students that make
up the university. We help to match caring people with meaningful
opportunities that support both UMass Amherst’s mission and the
personal objectives of our donors.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Finance and
Administration, the Controller holds a high level of responsibility
for the oversight of key finance, budgeting, and reporting
activities for UMAF and the University of Massachusetts Amherst
Alumni Association (UMAAA). More specifically, the Controller leads
the day-to-day accounting operations, including functional
responsibility over accounts payable, gift accounting, payroll, and
banking. The Controller ensures that the Foundation maintains and,
as appropriate, improves the systems, procedures, and controls to
support effective program implementation and reporting. The
Controller works closely with department directors and their staff,
not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting
procedures, but also to explore how the finance function can
support the advancement of their initiatives.
Note: This is a full-time hybrid
- Oversee the accounting function of UMAF and UMAAA, providing
professional accounting expertise as related to maintaining an
effective chart of accounts, ensuring compliance with accounting
principles, regulations, and reporting standards in accordance with
the nonprofit and higher education industry sectors.
- Prepare timely and accurate monthly and annual financial
statements, including income statement, balance sheet, and cash
- Provide strategic input into the responsible investment,
management, and allocation of UMAAA resources and assets to support
- Coordinate the yearly financial audit and 990 filings to meet
- Financial reporting as requested by internal or external
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of effective
internal controls to safeguard UMAF and UMAAA assets.
- Oversee banking relationships and ensure effective cash
management procedures are in place.
- Streamline financial processes and systems to improve
efficiency and effectiveness.
- Oversee the AP, Payroll, and General Ledger functions.
- Assist HR with benefits administration.
- Develop and maintain relationships with banking, insurance, and
other service providers.
- Coordinate flow of funds and accounting allocations with the
UMass Amherst Controller’s Office and UMass Foundation to
facilitate financial activities.
- Participate in the annual budget process.
- Assist the AVP-FA in maintaining appropriate lines of insurance
coverage for UMAF and UMAAA, including fiduciary liability, cyber
liability, worker’s compensation.
- Work with the AVP-FA to develop internal control policies,
guidelines, and procedures for activities, such as budget
administration, procurement, cash management, and accounting.
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive work environment that
encourages professional growth and development.
- Promote a culture of accountability, integrity, customer
service, efficient processes and continuous improvement within the
- UMAF is building and growing, and this position will support
those efforts with other duties and projects as assigned from time
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, or related
- Minimum 8 years of accounting and budget experience.
- CPA or equivalent or Master’s degree preferred
- Experience in higher education or nonprofit accounting
- Management strengths in strategic planning, staff development,
financial analysis and forecasting, business model design, contract
negotiation, conflict resolution, and the ability to collaborate
with teams across the organization.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong understanding of accounting principles and financial
- Experience with financial modeling and budgeting software
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability
to collaborate across teams diplomatically and sensitively.
- Independent decision-making and good judgment in handling
confidential material. Ability to work collaboratively in a
team-based environment. Excellent follow-through and attention to
- Ability to operate with strong personal integrity and work
ethic and maintain a sense of humor and perspective.
- Champions a diverse culture where opinions are welcomed and
valued. Demonstrated ability to effectively work and interact
respectfully within a diverse and inclusive environment.
- 20 vacation days, 12 holidays, 12 sick days, 5 personal days,
and 2 office closure days.
- 4-day summer work week.
- 401(k) plan. You contribute 5% and receive a 10% match.
- Health insurance packages for medical, dental, and vision.
- 16 weeks of paid parental leave to use within 1 year of
childbirth. An additional 6 weeks available for the birthing
parent. Part-time work for full-time pay for the first 4 weeks post
- Learn more about our benefits.
Proposed Annual Salary Range
$115,000 - $130,000
DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
At the UMass Amherst Foundation, we understand the value that
diversity, equity, and inclusion bring to our workplace, our
constituents, and our community. View our DEI
We welcome and value diversity in all its forms and recognize
that a diverse and inclusive team strengthens our work and advances
our mission. We recognize that the benefits of a diverse team are
fully realized when people of all races, gender identities, ages,
ethnicities, cultural heritages and nationalities; educational
backgrounds; religious and political beliefs; sexual orientations;
abilities; and socioeconomic and veteran status are valued,
respected, and included at every level. We will ensure that
individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation
to participate in the job application or interview process, to
perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and
privileges of employment. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to
OUR VALUES (S.T.E.W.A.R.D.S)
UMAF is committed to building a team with these shared
Service: We focus on the needs of others
above ourselves and support our colleagues when they need
Trust, Transparency, and Teamwork: We
value honesty, trustworthiness, and open communication. Our
colleagues can count on us for support.
Excellence: We pursue excellence in all
that we do – each time, and learn and grow as a team.
Wellness: Our work culture provides flexibility
and empowers individuals.
Accountability: We accept full responsibility
for our decisions, actions, and results.
Respect: We respect each other and
celebrate our different ideas, strengths, interests, and cultural
Donor-Centric: We find intersections
between donor’s experiences and values, and our organization’s
priorities and funding needs.
Synergy: We connect, communicate,
and collaborate within teams, and across functions to enhance our
effectiveness and impact.
Questions regarding the position or anything else related to
careers with UMAF may be directed to the People & Culture team