Third Way is a national think tank that was founded back in 2005
to champion modern center-left ideas. Our work is grounded in the
mainstream American values of opportunity, freedom, and
We are proud of the organization that we have built and continue
to seek out talent who contributes to our ambitious mission. We are
deeply committed to promoting a culture of results and respect
where every employee has opportunities to contribute, develop, and
Third Way’s Climate and Energy Program is seeking
a Philanthropy Advisor to
coordinate and help grow the Climate & Energy Program’s robust
grants portfolio and revenue. To support the sustainability of the
program, working with the Senior Philanthropy Officer, the
Philanthropy Advisor will manage and coordinate the research,
cultivation, writing, and submission of foundation and individual
donor grants. This individual will be involved in all aspects of
developing successful grant proposals and contracts, coordinate
input across the Climate & Energy team as needed and ensure
that it remains in compliance with funder requirements by preparing
and submitting reports and other documentation.
Third Way’s Climate and Energy Program follows a data-focused
approach to drive the development and deployment of a wide spectrum
of clean energy technologies needed to reach net-zero and build a
more affordable, reliable, and secure clean future. This
data-driven approach helps us guide informed, impactful decisions,
and has been key to our success in the US, allowing us to extend
our influence internationally to decision makers in Europe. Our
unique approach successfully combines rigorous analysis,
data-driven policymaking, political advocacy, and strategic
As the Philanthropy Advisor, a typical day might
- Developing, writing and submitting compelling grant proposals
that convey seemingly complicated projects in a persuasive
- Identifying and researching individual and foundation donor
prospects and other funding opportunities to expand the pool of
grant prospects to ensure a continuous revenue stream.
- Leading the grant development process from start to finish and
coordinating all submission requirements.
- Maintaining a calendar of all applications, reporting and other
key dates to ensure timely and successful submission of
applications and reports.
- Working with a high functioning team with expertise in climate
& energy technology and policies.
- Updating and maintaining a database containing information on
all prospects and funders.
- Attending meetings of project teams, funders/donor prospects
and partnering organizations.
- Preparing team members for meetings with current and potential
- Participating in the team’s philanthropy short- and long-term
- Performing other duties as assigned.
This might be the job for you, if you…
- Have a bachelor’s degree in a climate & energy-related area
or another relevant field.
- Have 3+ years’ experience in grant writing/management or
- Have experience using Salesforce or other fundraising database
- Want to contribute towards Third Way’s mission.
- Take pride in and ownership of your work.
- Are curious and eager for professional development.
- Think on your feet and adapt to changes effortlessly.
- Communicate clearly and effectively in writing and
- Are motivated and driven by your passion for opportunity,
freedom, and security.
- Want to make a difference and imprint as Third Way’s
newest Philanthropy Advisor.
Third Way is committed to the health, safety and wellness of
all employees, candidates, stakeholders, and communities. In
support of that commitment, all current and newly hired employees
are required to provide proof of Covid-19 full vaccination. Proof
of full vaccination status will be required after an offer of
employment is extended and accepted. Failure to provide proof of
full vaccination prior to the start date will result in the offer
of employment being rescinded.
Third Way offers a flexible, hybrid work environment to
support our employees’ healthy work\life
balance. This position is based in Washington, DC,
and Third Way’s in-office days on Tuesday, Wednesday, and
Third Way is an equal-opportunity employer that celebrates,
supports, and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will
consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran
status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally
protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.