Union Settlement is an East Harlem based nonprofit organization
founded in 1895. For 128 years, Union Settlement has provided
critical and innovative programming to children, youth, families,
and older adults. As a pioneer of the settlement house movement,
Union Settlement continues to meet the needs of the ever-changing
East Harlem community through its core programs. Through these
programs, New Yorkers gain opportunities, develop skills, and
become empowered to pursue and achieve their dreams.
Today, Union Settlement provides services through 33 program
sites in approximately 28 locations. Union Settlement’s current
programmatic portfolio includes 8 core program areas: Early
Childhood Education, Youth Services (including after school
programs), Family Services (including the Family Enrichment Center
and the Family Childcare Network), the East Harlem Community
Partnership, Adult Education, Mental Health Services, Older Adult
Centers, and Economic Development. Union Settlement serves
more than 10,000 individuals and nearly 1,000 businesses every
Strengthened by a dynamic, diverse, and collaborative workforce
of more than 350 employees, Union Settlement also serves as a
connector, convener, and advocate for East Harlem and its partners.
To learn more about Union Settlement, visit
Position: Director, Communications and
Department: Development &
Reports to: Chief Development and
Salary: $130,000 - $140,000
Location: On-site, with the potential for
some remote work.
Positions Reporting to this Role:
Coordinator, Community Engagement &
Reporting to the Chief Development and Communications Officer,
The Director, Communications and Community Engagement leads and is
responsible for Union Settlement’s overall communications strategy
and community engagement initiatives. The Director is responsible
for management of the Coordinator, Community Engagement and
Volunteer Services. The Director collaborates to shape
organizational decision-making and lead progress toward Union
Settlement’s mission and goals serving as a key thought partner to
stakeholders throughout the organization about how to engage their
audiences, translate initiatives, day-to-day activities, and
policies into accessible, actionable, and relevant content, and
elevate our brand and work.
This is a unique opportunity for a kind, inclusive, and
empathetic communications leader to build upon a foundation of
strength and help lead Union Settlement to continue to share
important stories, reach loyal and new audiences, and raise
awareness in traditional ways, social media, and other innovative
approaches. The ideal candidate is a strong manager and an
enthusiastic leader committed to empowering and equipping the
Communications team to take a proactive role in shifting
narratives of the East Harlem community and supporting the thought
leadership of Union Settlement. They are collaborative, collegial,
humble, and lead with a deep sense of humanity. They are creative
and open to a variety of ideas, no matter how big or how small, and
they inspire creative thinking and empowerment among the team,
staff and colleagues. They bring lived and/or professional
experience working with marginalized communities, deep and
authentic alignment with the values of Union Settlement.
- Responsible for developing, managing, and executing Union
Settlement’s communications strategies through print, all digital
platforms, media, literature, advertising, and all other methods to
ensure that Union Settlement’s message aligns with and supports the
organization’s mission, vision, values, brand, reputation, and
- Capture the authentic voice of leadership in written
communications and help shape the internal communications
- Oversee the development and growth of Union Settlement’s
website, social media channels (including Facebook, LinkedIn,
Instagram, and YouTube), inbound marketing efforts, and digital
- Implement a robust data analytic strategy that will guide and
direct all future communications decisions and initiatives, as well
as report on the overall performance.
- Maintain consistent brand messaging across all social
- Plan, execute, and manage all digital marketing, including SEO,
SEM, email marketing, and social media; Analyze and review boosted
social posts and tested ads where appropriate.
- Develop communications templates and plans to raise awareness
of agencies external advocacy activities and results.
- Create and manage content for organization’s social media,
emails, and other forms of digital communication.
- Collaborate with and support the Development team to create and
implement digital campaigns that drive revenue.
- Partner with teams across the business to advance initiatives
related to DEIAB, Learning & Development, Administration,
Programs, Human Resources and more, ensuring these resonate with
employees across all levels and functions.
- Work with staff, volunteers, community partners, and other
stakeholders throughout our sites to maintain organization’s
- Keep the organization’s photo, video, digital assets, and
testimonial collection up to date.
- Maintain an editorial calendar to deliver targeted
- Working in WordPress, ensure the organization’s website is up
to date and functioning.
- Collaborate with team on planning and execution of community
events; drive participation.
- Provide writing, editing, and execution support across a wide
variety of projects.
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree and five (5) years of demonstrated experience
- Excellent computer skills; Microsoft Word and Excel experience
- Experience planning and implementing high-quality community
- Strong project management skills with the ability to handle
multiple priorities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced
- Strong strategic thinking, analytical skills, and written and
verbal communications skills with the ability to translate business
objectives into clear and concise communications.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work both
independently without close oversight, but also function as a team
- Social media savvy, with a passion for staying on top of
- Proficiency in photo and video editing software (Canva).
- Experience with SEO and SEM strategy, keyword research, and
website analytics tools, such as Google Analytics.
- Familiarity with MailChimp and other marketing software a
- Take initiative and manage multiple tasks and projects
- Skilled in digital content creation, storytelling, and content
- Ability to handle matters of confidentiality with utmost tact
- A dedicated work ethic, diligence, and readiness to be a
hands-on team member with a keen eye for detail and
- Overall flexibility and ability to work under pressure and meet
- Familiarity with social service programs with ability to work
with diverse backgrounds.
- A strong desire to help improve the lives of the residents of
the East Harlem community.
Settlement’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Commitment
Union Settlement is an
equal-opportunity employer. They do not discriminate on the basis
of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin,
physical or mental disability, gender, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status
protected under federal, state, or local law.