POSITION TITLE: Associate Director of
REPORTS TO: Director of Development
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Depending on
region, position may participate in supervising staff such as
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
Grade/Class: Grade F, Exempt,
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
ADL is the leading anti-hate organization in the world. Founded
in 1913, its timeless mission is “to stop the defamation of the
Jewish people and to secure justice and fair treatment to all.”
Today, ADL continues to fight all forms of antisemitism and bias,
using innovation and partnerships to drive impact. A global leader
in combating antisemitism, countering extremism and battling
bigotry wherever and whenever it happens, ADL works to protect
democracy and ensure a just and inclusive society for
Reporting to the Director of Development, the Associate Director
of Development is an integral member of a complex and rapidly
growing team. The Associate Director is responsible for
implementing ADL’s annual giving program, including direct
solicitation of individual, corporate, and foundation gifts and
related cultivation and stewardship activities. This passionate and
enthusiastic fundraiser will manage a personal portfolio of donors
and prospects and will collaborate closely to develop major gifts
and donor/community cultivation events.
- Identifies, qualifies, cultivates, and solicits funding from
individuals, corporations, and foundations in accordance with ADL’s
operating plan and funding priorities.
- Actively builds and manages a portfolio of 120 -150 individual,
foundation and corporate donors and prospects with the capacity to
make gifts of $10k or above.
- Develops and implements a comprehensive cultivation and
stewardship plan, building relationships with donors via phone
calls, personalized email communications, ongoing written contact,
and in-person visits. Some travel will be required for donor
meetings and events.
- Fosters and maintains effective relationships within their
assigned Region and National ADL.
- Ensures all donor/prospect activities and communications are
recorded in the CRM database in accordance with department policies
- Oversees coordination of donor cultivation and
community-building event logistics as deemed integral to the
Region’s overall fundraising strategy.
- Contributes to development-related functions such as marketing,
communications, and advocacy.
- Serves as an effective and enthusiastic ADL spokesperson and
- Maintains an active, current body of knowledge of ADL and its
mission, programs, activities, institutional needs, and fundraising
- Assists the Director of Development in special assignments to
ensure long-term donor engagement and retention; and supports the
successful completion of annual campaigns.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; ability to
communicate concepts simply, clearly, and effectively, both in
writing and conversation; superior attention to detail; exceptional
- Display a positive attitude and show good judgment, common
sense, and excellent listening skills; committed to transparency,
accountability, and direct communication.
- The ability to anticipate and be responsive to multiple
stakeholders' needs, including individual donors and prospects,
corporate and foundation donors and prospects, volunteers, and
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to see
projects through to completion while meeting tight deadlines.
- Must be self-motivated, have initiative and work independently,
and be part of a team.
- Ability to successfully navigate and thrive in a complex
organization. Experience in a national organization with an
affiliate or chapter structure a plus
- Committed to advancing the mission and goals of the ADL.
- 5 years of fundraising experience including a demonstrated
record of accomplishment of soliciting and closing 5-figure
- Prior experience working with fundraising databases
(Salesforce), MS Office applications and online collaboration
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- Hybrid office and remote work environment
- Flexibility to work evening and weekends required.
- ADL COVID-19 Protocol (updated
periodically): ADL is adhering to public
health guidance regarding COVID-19. ADL will require that all
employees are vaccinated with exceptions for medical and religious
accommodations. ADL is requiring proof of vaccination. ADL is a
hybrid environment; this role may require 3 days in the
- This position has a
salary range of $70,000 to $80,000. This salary range is
reflective of a position based in San Francisco, CA. Please note
that actual salaries are commensurate with experience and reflect
the budget for a given position, and since ADL has a location-based
compensation structure, there may be a different range for
candidates in other locations.
ADL values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages
women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with
disabilities, members of underrepresented ethnic groups,
foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. ADL is an equal
opportunity employer. Recruitment, hiring, promotions and other
terms, conditions and privileges of employment shall be maintained
in a manner which does not discriminate on the basis of age, race,
creed, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation,
gender expression, marital status, physical or mental disability,
veteran status, or military status, or in violation of any
applicable Federal, state or local
ADL will ensure that individuals with disabilities are
provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job
application or interview process, to perform essential job
functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of
employment. For individuals with disabilities who would like to
request an accommodation to support the interview process, please
contact Talent & Knowledge at email@example.com.
ADL will consider for employment qualified applicants with
criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of
the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and all other applicable State,
Local, and Federal laws.
The information in this job description indicates the
general nature and level of work expected of employees in this
classification. It is not designed to contain, or be interpreted
as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities,
qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to
this job, nor is it to be interpreted as a contract for