Eastern New Mexico University seeks a Vice President for
University Advancement and Public Relations
Click here to view position profile:
Location: Portales, New Mexico
The Vice President for University Advancement and Public
Relations (VPUAPR) is a member of the University leadership team
serving under the President. The VPUAPR is the chief development
officer for the University, directly responsible to the President
for the planning and administration of a comprehensive program of
fundraising and marketing compatible with the philosophy and
objectives of the University. The Vice President will have three
direct reports and a staff that has responsibility for the
foundation, alumni affairs, scholarship and stewardship, public
relations and communications and will be responsible for leading
and providing strategic direction for the Advancement division of
the University. This will include fundraising campaigns, major
gifts and planned giving, alumni relations, marketing and public
relations, university development, and corporate and foundation
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides strategic, operational and administrative leadership
for the Advancement Division and personnel assigned to areas of
- Articulates the critical role of private philanthropy and the
opportunities for voluntary support.
- Guides the establishment and implementation of a broad range of
advancement policies and procedures applicable to individual
donors, corporations, and foundations.
- Identifies, cultivates, solicits closing and stewardship of
potential and existing donors and opportunities for funding.
- Develops and maintains personal contacts with individual donors
and prospective donors.
- Maintains the necessary relations to keep the institution's
name and achievements alive in the minds of individuals, corporate
and foundation executives, and board members.
- Ensures an expanding positive image of the University through
effective marketing and public communications.
- Provides administrative direction regarding general fundraising
objectives. Creates and executes fundraising plans that utilize
best practices in annual, major and planned gift programs.
- Implements long-range planning and philosophy for areas of
- Oversees the development of alumni relations.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the President.
Opportunities and Challenges:
- Working closely with the President and an external consultant,
assist with the development and launch of a comprehensive campaign.
Provide ongoing oversight and progress reports for this key
activity to the President and other appropriate parties.
- The office of advancement has been restructured to include
public relations along with all advancement responsibilities. The
Vice President will have the opportunity to establish a high
functioning team that includes members from both areas maximizing
the natural synergy that exists between outreach and
- Build a strategy to identify and nurture donor relationships.
Create a systemic approach to maintain connections, identify the
donor capacity, and to follow-through on all opportunities.
- Create connections throughout the community and the region that
will provide opportunities for organizations to become “friends” of
the University and support institutional initiatives.
- Use institutional and other data and feedback to anticipate and
address needs of ENMU’s staff and faculty while encouraging a
robust system of giving among these stakeholder groups.
- Maintain a dynamic portfolio of high-net-worth individuals and
secure major capital, and planned gifts, as well as advanced annual
gifts and endowment support.
- Encourage partnerships with educational institutions,
businesses and community groups to help create a broader base of
- Work with the advancement team to develop annual plans and
budgets for Alumni Affairs, Annual Fund, Gift Planning, Major
Gifts, Grant Development, Stewardship and Scholarship.
- Utilize fundraising technology to strengthen operations.
Provide training and guidance for staff as these tools are
integrated in daily department activity.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- A master’s degree from a regionally accredited
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible
experience in fundraising, communication, external relations,
leadership and supervision.
- Demonstrated proficiency with fundraising software to assist
with and organize all fundraising activities.
- A proven track record of soliciting and closing major gifts,
major and planned giving management, annual giving, direct
solicitation, prospect management, public relations and
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Possesses an understanding of current philanthropic and public
relations interests of individuals, foundations or corporations,
acquired through regular contact with those individuals and
- Works effectively with administrators, boards, faculty, alumni,
foundations and corporate and community leaders.
- Exhibits direct and relevant experience with university
comprehensive capital campaigns.
- Skilled in establishing and maintaining relationships with
potential funding sources.
- Demonstrates understanding of general public relations and
- Demonstrates expertise in management, leadership, and working
collaboratively with senior leadership teams.
- Possesses an understanding of the higher education landscape,
and ability to work with academic and athletics units in
identifying and developing potential fundraising sources.
- Experience in donor research, including data collection and
- Knowledgeable in the use of computers and standard computer
software programs related to advancement, marketing and public
- Works well with diverse populations and maintains positive
working relationships with students, faculty, staff, and the
- Demonstrates exceptional interpersonal skills, including the
ability to communicate clearly both in writing and verbally,
develop and maintain close relationships with donors and
prospective donors, and exercise sound judgment.
- Designated as a Responsible Employee as outlined by Title
About the Institution:
Student Success – that’s what it’s all
For over 80 years Eastern New Mexico University (ENMU) has
prepared students for careers and advanced study. Its mission is to
emphasize liberal learning, freedom of inquiry, cultural diversity,
and whole student life. ENMU serves students of traditional age,
adult learners and organizations through undergraduate and graduate
Eastern New Mexico University is New Mexico's largest regional
comprehensive university, offering over 130 certificate, associate,
bachelor's, and master's programs. Dedicated to a student-focused
mission, ENMU is comprised of three campuses: a four-year campus in
Portales and two-year campuses in Roswell and Ruidoso.
Opening its doors in 1934 as Eastern New Mexico Junior College,
ENMU added additional classes leading to a bachelor’s degree and
was renamed Eastern New Mexico College in 1940. Next, ENMU was
accredited as a four-year liberal arts college in 1946-47. Graduate
work leading to master's degrees was added in 1949, and on April 5,
1949, the Board of Regents approved the change of the institution's
name to Eastern New Mexico University.
Quick Facts & Accolades
- 96% Student Satisfaction Rate
- Texas students within a 135-mile radius qualify for ENMU’s
in-state tuition rate
- Top 10% Most Affordable of Southwest Four-Year
- com ranks ENMU #2 of 10 Most Affordable Colleges in
- com ranks ENMU #59 of 378 Best Hispanic Serving
Institutions in America 2023
- com ranks ENMU as the safest 4-year University Campus
in NM 2023
- ENMU earns 2023-2024 Military Friendly School Gold
To view more awards, click
plan sets forth goals and strategies that will enable the
University to progress toward its aspiration of becoming one of the
nation's leading land-grant universities, preeminent in research
and discovery, teaching, and engagement.
In addition to its Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
accreditation, ENMU has earned program accreditations from the
- National Association of Schools of Music (NASM)
- Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
- Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
- Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation
- Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
- ENMU is on the approved list for the American Chemical Society,
offering an ACS-certified degree.
Eastern New Mexico University enrolls a total of 7,224 students
across its three campuses. Current enrollment at the main campus in
Portales is 5,106 with 3,833 undergraduate and 1,273 graduate
students. In Fall 2022 there were 50 students transferring from a
branch to the main campus. In Fall 2022, 84% of undergraduate
students at ENMU Portales are from New Mexico or Texas, with the
remaining 16% representing 62 states/territories and 30 countries
In total, the ENMU system administers operating budgets in
excess of $120 million. While the campuses are governed centrally,
each is responsible for its own revenue streams which are not
transferrable. Capital outlay funding for the main campus consists
primarily of state allocations and private gifts. Capital outlay
funding for the branch campuses consists of state allocations and
locally authorized bonds. The ENMU Foundation has total assets of
$25,000,000, and provides some $400,000 annually in scholarship
support to ENMU students.
For many years the State of New Mexico has led the nation in its
financial support for public higher education. Currently, public
funding accounts for approximately 50% of ENMU Portales’s overall
operating budget and 75% of the budgets of its branch campuses.
Leadership is keenly aware that the state is not immune from the
broad national trend of steadily declining allocations for public
education and is taking steps to fortify and increase other revenue
Dr. James Johnston was appointed president of
Eastern New Mexico University and chancellor of ENMU system in
November of 2022 and started his tenure on January 3, 2023. He is
the 12th president of ENMU and the 3rd chancellor of the ENMU
System. Dr. Johnston came to ENMU with more than 20 years of
administrative experience, having served in numerous leadership
roles at other institutions throughout his career. He has a track
record of success in leading enrollment growth, innovative
programming, curricular offerings, and fundraising through
traditional and innovative partnerships. As an administrator, he
has dedicated his time, energy, and creativity to providing a
supportive learning environment committed to student success.
Dr. Johnston earned his Bachelor of Science in Radiologic
Sciences and his Master of Science in Radiologic Sciences from
Midwestern State University and his Ph.D. in Health Studies from
Texas Woman's University.
Acceptance of inquiries, nominations, and applications will
begin immediately and continue until the completion of the search.
Interested parties are encouraged to apply by October 18,
To apply online, go to: https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=su379
All applications and nominations will be held in confidence.
For more information:
Eastern New Mexico University is committed to creating a
diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity
employer. The University complies with all applicable federal and
state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action and
does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin,
religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual
orientation), age, disability, genetic information, veteran status,
or any other protected status in its programs, activities, or