Planned Parenthood of
Metropolitan Washington D.C.
For over 80 years Planned
Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington DC (PPMW) has provided
high quality, compassionate healthcare to the Washington DC,
Northern Virginia, and Maryland geographic area. The organization
is committed to combatting health inequities through a wide range
of services including primary/preventive care, birth control and
vasectomies, breast exams and mammograms, testing and treatment for
sexually transmitted infections, screenings for cervical and other
cancers, and abortions. PPMW provides high quality, culturally
informed educational programs in schools, communities, and online
throughout their service area. Additionally, PPMW has a strong
public affairs and advocacy program promoting health equity for
everyone. In 2022 over 21,500 patients received services at their
three facilities. Additional information can be found at: ppmw.org
Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington DC is expanding
its fundraising team and is seeking a Director of Development who
can work with the organization’s fundraising leadership to grow its
fundraising capabilities in Northern Virginia. The position
requires a minimum of three years or more of working with and
soliciting individual donors and will report to the Assistant Vice
President of Development.
The Director of Development will be passionate about the work of
Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington DC and will serve as
a compelling ambassador to a philanthropic base that is equally
dedicated to sustaining the organization’s mission and programs.
Along with fundraising acumen, this position requires strong
interpersonal skills and the ability to be a team player. The
Director of Development will have a broad scope of responsibility
within the geographic area of Northern Virginia including the
identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of
individuals who support the work of PPMW while developing and
maintaining relationships with current supporters. The Director of
Development will be able to create and grow a major gifts portfolio
and will be comfortable taking the lead with prospects/donors who
have the capacity of making gifts of $25,000 or more as well as
working independently and traveling within the defined geographic
area to achieve goals.
- From a larger pool of donors, research and qualify a portfolio
of 150 individuals that have the ability and potential to give
$25,000 or more.
- Meet face to face with donors and prospects.
- Create goals for each donor in the portfolio based on the
donor’s giving history and potential.
- In partnership with the Assistant Vice President and program
staff, create a personalized strategy for each prospect/donor in
the Director of Development’s portfolio.
- Develop stewardship plans and activities for donors and ensure
proper acknowledgement and recognition for their support.
- Execute plans to meet individual and departmental goals
ensuring that donors in his/her portfolio are retained and
- Create monthly reports as required that accurately reflect
portfolio activity and performance.
- Comfortable leading the strategy with donors and working
independently in the assigned geographic region.
- Supports and assists the Development Office with fundraising
- Maintain a current knowledge of the tools and techniques
relating to major gift fundraising.
- Demonstrate the ability and willingness to provide support in a
collaborative and team-oriented manner.
- Can speak publicly and articulate the organization’s programs,
vision, and goals to donors and prospects effectively.
Professional Qualifications and Personal
The ideal candidate will possess most of the following
professional and personal attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- A minimum of three years or more of demonstrated success in the
development and execution of high-level fundraising strategies in
- Capital campaign fundraising experience strongly
- Believes in and effectively communicates the mission of Planned
Parenthood of Washington DC.
- Experience in prospect identification, cultivation,
solicitation, and donor relations.
- Experience with the principles of major donor pipeline
management and a successful track record of moving donors to higher
levels of giving.
- Capacity to work easily and effectively with a wide range of
- Exceptional organizational skills and judgment to manage
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Be goal driven and possess a high degree of creativity,
motivation, maturity, and energy.
- Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communication.
Ability to write reports, professional correspondence, and thank
- Knowledge of the Washington DC area and specifically Northern
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge preferred.
Compensation And Benefits
The salary range for this position is $100,000-$110,000. Planned
Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington DC offers a complete benefits
package which includes comprehensive health and dental insurance,
life insurance, long and short-term disability, retirement plan,
employee assistance program, vacation, sick leave, holidays, and
PPMW offers a hybrid work environment with required time in the
office and the remaining work time off-site.
Statement of Non-Discrimination
Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington DC is an Equal
EEO/Affirmative Action Employer committed to excellence through
diversity. Employment offers are made based on qualifications and
without regard to race, religion, gender, national or ethnic
origin, sexual orientation, disability, or age.
The search for the Director of Development is being conducted by
The Moran Company. To apply for this position, submit a cover
letter and resume to Becky Hauk, The Moran Company. Resume should
be chronological and include all professional education and
experience, and dates of employment (month and year).