The President and CEO of the Community Foundation for Northern
Virginia (the Community
Foundation) advances the organization’s vision and drives its
mission. In pursuit of the Community Foundation’s mission, the CEO
implements the current strategic plan, engages the Board, ensures
financial, investment, and legal integrity and sufficiency,
provides day-to-day operational management and oversight, and
oversees discretionary grant and community leadership programs
including Insight Region. As the principal representative of the
Community Foundation, the CEO helps communicate the organization’s
work and impact and connects with donors and external stakeholders
and stewards trusted relationships with them.
About the Community Foundation for Northern Virginia
When the Community Foundation for Northern Virginia was
established in 1978, it had a staff of one volunteer and minimal
funding. Over the years it has grown to an organization with a
staff of eleven and nearly $95M in managed philanthropic assets.
The Community Foundation’s vision is to build a community that
works for everyone by advancing equity across Northern Virginia
through philanthropy and community leadership. Its strategic plan
and community leadership efforts are built on its four leadership
pillars: social and economic mobility; racial justice and equity;
inclusive economic growth; and community resilience.
The Community Foundation gives back to the community through its
grants, scholarships, and philanthropic programs of charitable
giving. It invests and administers funds that are comprised of
donor-established funds for individuals, families, businesses, and
organizations, permanent funds, giving circles and other charitable
endowments. Donors can give by starting a new fund, giving to one
of the Community Foundation’s more than 250 existing funds, or
investing in the Permanent Fund for Northern Virginia. A community
endowment established in 2005, the Permanent Fund has allowed the
Community Foundation to make its own discretionary grants and shape
the future of the region by making grants to Northern Virginia
institutions that respond to the most critical needs of the region.
The Community Foundation awards grants and scholarships using a
data-driven approach to ensure that the region’s greatest needs are
being met through a competitive and transparent process. In 2022,
the Community Foundation awarded over $7M in grants and
The President and CEO Role Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Vision: Advance the organization’s vision to help
build a community that works for everyone.
Mission: Drive the organization’s mission to advance
equity using the tools of philanthropy and Community Leadership to
Strategic Plan Implementation: Implement the
current strategic plan, a copy of which is available upon
- Work as an effective partner with the Board in providing vision
and strategy for the organization.
- Confer regularly with the Board Chair.
- Assist with the development of goals and long-range planning
and progress reports.
- Assist Board Chair in planning and preparation of Board and
Executive Committee agendas.
Finance and Investments
- In collaboration with the Finance Team, Investment Committee,
and Audit Committee, ensure financial integrity and
- Provide oversight for proper administration of the fiscal and
investment policies and procedures as developed by the Executive
Committee, Investment Committee, and Audit Committee.
- Work with legal counsel, accountants, auditors, and investment
managers to enhance the operations of the Community Foundation as
well as protect it from adverse action.
- Ensure the Community Foundation follows Board-adopted Bylaws,
Articles of Incorporation, Resolutions, Fund Agreements, National
Standards for Community Foundations, and any other contracts or
- Provide oversight of the day-to-day operations of the Community
- Apply a working knowledge of the laws and regulations
associated with charitable giving and community foundations.
Advancement and Donor Relations
- In collaboration with the Philanthropy Team, represent the
Community Foundation with major donors, prospective donors,
nonprofits, companies, governments, and communities to cultivate
trusted relationships and foster giving to and through the
Community Foundation for donor created funds and for the Permanent
Fund for Northern Virginia.
- Ensure that development efforts meet established goals of the
Grants, Community Leadership, and Insight
- In collaboration with the Grants and Community Leadership Team
and Insight Region, ensure the conduct of Community Leadership
endeavors and grant making programs meet established goals of the
- Build community partnerships with nonprofits, companies,
governments, donors, and community leaders that result in
identifying and clarifying critical community issues.
- Lead problem-solving initiatives and activities that result in
programs with measurable community impact.
- Help determine mission-aligned topics for research and study
that highlight the region’s greatest opportunities and
- Help manage the risk related to the publication of data and
Marketing, Communications, Events
- In collaboration with the Marketing, Communications, and Events
Team, help communicate the Community Foundation’s work and
- Pursue opportunities to speak for the Community Foundation
before organizations and groups of individuals that further the
Community Foundation’s strategic goals.
Required Skills, Experience, and Qualifications
- Organizational leadership skills as demonstrated by 10 or more
years of leadership at an executive level.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to raise substantial funds from
individuals, businesses, private foundations, governments, and
other potential contributors.
- Knowledge/familiarity with accounting, finance, and legal
- Knowledge/familiarity with charitable and planned giving
vehicles and the laws and regulations related thereto.
- Track record of leadership and consensus building in greater
- Strong people management and financial management skills.
- Proven ability to align operations with strategic plan.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and public
- Strong computer and research skills.
- Open to frequent participation in community events during
evening and weekend hours.
Personal Qualities and Competencies
- Mature judgment, high integrity, approachability.
- Critical thinker and problem solver.
- Visionary thought leader who is able to identify trends and
- Trustworthy communicator with high emotional intelligence and
strong listening skills.
- Ability to collaborate and influence as credible partner in
- Proven ability to work with multiple stakeholders to accomplish
shared goals and manage expectations.
- Candidates from historically underrepresented and marginalized
communities are encouraged to apply.
A competitive compensation package will be offered to attract an
To apply, please send a cover letter and current resume
(Microsoft Word® format preferred). The cover letter should outline
how your experience fits the requirements of the position as this
will be an important factor in considering your candidacy.
Sterling Martin Associates is committed to providing equal
opportunity for employees and applicants in all aspects of the
employment relationship, without regard to race, religion, color,
age, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical
conditions), marital status, parental status, sexual orientation,
gender identity, gender expression, ancestry, national origin,
citizenship, political affiliation, status as a protected veteran,
status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable
legally protected characteristics. All employment is decided on the
basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.