About The Everglades Foundation
Since 1993, The Everglades Foundation’s commitment to restore
and protect the Everglades has been driven by science. Founded by
two outdoor enthusiasts — the late George Barley and Paul Tudor
Jones II — The Everglades Foundation works tirelessly to bring
people together and provide a powerful voice for Everglades
restoration at the state and national levels. Today, The
Everglades Foundation stands as a well-respected authoritative
source for scientific research on the Everglades. Our renowned
scientists are passionate seekers of the truth, dedicated to
unearthing the facts and conducting practical analysis to help
local, state, and national leaders make well-informed decisions. By
coupling sound science with policy expertise, the Foundation is
positioned as one of the most influential players in the fight to
preserve and restore one of the world’s most unique wetlands.
The Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit and a responsible
employer that seeks to recruit and retain outstanding,
high-performing professionals who are at the top of their fields to
thrive in a dynamic, mission-driven culture committed to
excellence, innovation, collaboration, and diversity. The
Foundation offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package
including twelve paid Federal holidays; ample Paid Time Off; a
variety of health, dental, vision, life, disability, and
supplemental insurance options; retirement plan and matching
employer contributions; and maternity and parental leave.
The Director of Development Services directly supports the
mission of The Everglades Foundation by managing technology
solutions for Development Services, Research, and Relationship
Management to support the strategic goals and progress of the
Development department. The Director is responsible for oversight
of development, production, and implementation of the Foundation’s
fundraising business processes, databases, dashboards/analytics,
and associated technology solutions. The Director will oversee a
wide range of services and systems, including gift processing,
prospect research, document management, and stewardship efforts of
the Foundation to improve efficiency and ensure data integrity.
The Director of Development Services is team- and
results-oriented, and is committed to achieving the organization’s
mission. The Director maintains a helpful, positive attitude and
demonstrates independence and sound judgment to ensure all tasks
are completed accurately and delivered with quality and in a timely
manner. The Director presents the highest level of professionalism
and is comfortable communicating with the Foundation’s leadership,
donors, and development officers, and all levels of staff. The
Director of Development Services has a project management mindset
and is capable of assessing, managing, and successfully completing
multiple competing priorities, works well under pressure and on
deadline, thinks analytically, and proactively solves problems.
- Generate reports and analytics that allow the department to
collaborate and communicate more effectively.
- Improve reporting analytics, develop dashboards, and prepare
summary statistics, materials, and presentations for Foundation
leadership, Board committee meetings, and Board of Directors
- Develop, implement, and manage Foundation gift policies,
processes, procedures, and administration to ensure discipline in
recording data to meet IRS regulations and standards and non-profit
- Develop and maintain procedures for database entry of donor
information, including pledges, gifts and installment payments, to
ensure the integrity of the fundraising database.
- Supervise staff responsible for gift entry and donor
acknowledgments, and oversee for accuracy and completeness.
- Serve as primary Foundation resource for Raiser’s Edge
management, training, functionality, and usability. Work with
vendor to assure accuracy, proper configuration, and perform
- Oversee development of a comprehensive technical training
program, including vendor training, internal training and ongoing
documentation to educate and empower staff to better manage and
understand data to support them in their existing projects and
- Produce custom queries, lists, data sets, and reports as needed
for Foundation leadership and various departments, mailings,
campaigns, publications, and collateral.
- Produce, reconcile, and analyze various reports, including
pledge reports, campaign and annual fund reports, Board giving
reports, various month-to-date, year-to-date, and quarterly
reports, and information required for annual audit.
- Participate in monthly reconciliation of gifts recorded and
revenue recorded between the Development and Finance offices.
- Oversee data management and workflows for grants to manage,
monitor, and track all grants reporting, due dates, expiration
dates, and requirements to ensure reporting efficiency.
- Manage the regular stewardship cycle that includes production
of gift acknowledgement letters, auction and event related receipts
and letters, annual endowment letters and ability to provide copies
of acknowledgement letters or gift documentation at the request of
- Manage research system and data to conduct, compile, and
present prospect research
- Assist Vice President of Development and other staff with
campaign strategies and attend campaign meetings as needed.
- Serve as liaison to corporate foundations/matching gift
programs to confirm matching gift requests, manage access to online
portals, research and provide contact and matching gift request
procedures to donors, and enter all matching gift pledge
- Manage technology contracts for Development department.
- Oversee the process for credit card donations, on-line
donations, refunds, and associated confirmation/communication to
donors to consolidate, automate and achieve best business practices
and security compliance in coordination with the Foundation
- Attend industry conferences and continuing education
opportunities to keep current on industry trends, regulations,
system upgrades, and use of new technologies.
- Support Development and other staff as needed with special
events and projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Vice President of
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Exceptional technical, verbal, written, and interpersonal
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Skill in making presentations and training individuals in
- Ability to align staff needs with database outputs to
accurately create reports and analytics to improve efficiency.
- Ability to thrive in a high-energy, fast-paced work environment
and part of a team of ambitious, high-functioning, goal-oriented
- Ability to be flexible and work under deadlines and time
- Capability to assess, manage, and successfully complete
multiple competing priorities
- Able to handle sensitive and confidential information with
- Ability to proactively solve problems and think
- Ability to effectively work independently and under limited
- Punctual, reliable, and self-directed
- An optimistic outlook and enthusiastic attitude
- Passion and enthusiasm for the Everglades and/or the
environment a plus
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- A minimum of 3 years of experience working within the
non-profit industry directly with fundraising and finance
- 3 or more years of experience with evaluating, implementing,
supporting, and integrating multiple technology solutions.
- Familiarity with basic accounting principles and procedures,
and development terminology
- Proficiency in nonprofit CRM software and database management
systems required, preferred experience with Blackbaud’s Raiser’s
- Proficiency in computer programs and software, such as
Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, Teams),
Zoom, and Internet use and research.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
Salary: Starting at $95,000 and
commensurate with experience.
The Director of Development Services reports directly to the
Vice President of Development and coordinates closely with other
members of the Development and Finance teams.
Location and Schedule
This is a full-time, exempt, on-site position. The
Director is expected to work on-site at the Foundation’s main
office located in Palmetto Bay, Florida. Minimal travel and
weekend/evening work will be required. Occasional remote work from
home may be permitted.
This job description accurately reflects the
Director of Development Services position
as currently configured. However, this job
description is not meant to be an exhaustive list of all of the
duties an employee in this position may be expected to
This job description may be changed to include new
responsibilities and tasks, or change existing ones, at any time,
as the Foundation deems necessary.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that affords
equal protection against discrimination to job applicants and
employees. The Foundation seeks to ensure that qualified applicants
will have an equal opportunity with respect to all employment
practices regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national
origin, disability, age, pregnancy, marital or familial status,
sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, status as a
victim of domestic or dating violence, source of income, veteran
status, or any other characteristic protected by law.