PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
Coordinate operational aspects of fundraising appeals and
follow-up in a fast-paced team environment. Manage the constituent
database and train users. Conduct prospect research to
develop donor cultivation and solicitation strategies to
raise funds in support of the vision, mission and values of The
Basilica of Saint Mary and The Basilica Landmark.
SCOPE OF THE POSITION
- Director of Development assigns work and manages
- Provide Blackbaud RE NXT and Luminate training and support for
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- College degree and experience in development, non-profit or
- Database management experience specifically Raiser’s Edge (RE
NXT) or comparable database management software and Luminate, or
comparable communications software.
- Training or instructional experience.
- Prospect research experience and strong analytical skills.
- Capital Campaign experience preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Detail-oriented and efficient with demonstrated
organizational and project management skills.
- Proven ability to work independently.
- Experience with grants a plus.
- Repetitive keyboarding.
- Work 40 or more hours per week when needed.
- Able to lift 25 pounds.
- Able to walk up and down stairs.
- Ability to think strategically.
- Work effectively with multiple departments and maintain a
positive and helpful attitude, even at high intensity
- Able to follow instructions and to maintain consistent
- Recognize the need for confidentiality and can maintain
- Work independently on routine and regular responsibilities and
- Respects and values a diverse culture.
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS AND MAJOR ACTIVITES
Coordinate Development operations to support planned
appeals, solicitations, gift processing and donor
- Assist with goal setting, creating targeted asks, working with
the Director and Gift Officers, and segmentation strategies with
queries and ask amounts.
- Develop coding consistent with past campaigns, and coordinate
with the development and accounting teams. Run reports on annual
appeals and capital campaign status.
- Manage production of print and electronic solicitation and
appeal collateral and social / digital posts to achieve fundraising
goals on deadline and on budget. .
- Manage gift commitment reminders, preparation of Our
Sunday Visitor envelope lists, and processes for
- Establish and manage acknowledgement processes.
Coordinate messages and letters and work with gift processing,
accounting, and development staff to generate timely and
personalized responses to donors.
Manage Blackbaud software including Raiser’s Edge NXT
(database), Luminate Online (interactive communications /web
portal) and train users.
- Establish security rights and access for staff with usernames
and logins and follow best practices to maintain data
security. Add new tables, codes and business rules when
needed and create strategic coding plans with staff for new groups
of data (i.e., new campaigns, data never tracked before).
- Train users to follow consistent historical data entry
standards. Monitor entry of new constituent records.
- Maintain data integrity by running regular cleanup projects
including query-based data checks to make sure codes and tables are
used consistently, and duplicate record checks, merging/purging
duplicate constituent records and linking separate constituents
within the same household. Annually lead staff to review and
delete unneeded queries, exports and reports.
Develop and implement research strategies and set
priorities to support annual and major gift fundraising and capital
- Develop and implement a prospect research plan with priorities
and deadlines and invite staff to assist with data collection.
- Prepare prospect memos as requested for major gift
solicitations and events.
- Assist with identifying prospective major and leadership donors
using publicly available resources and subscription services
including LexisNexis and Omatic.
- Responsible for coding, managing, and generating reports for
priority major gift prospects.
- Maintain necessary queries in Blackbaud RE.
- Assist with event support, invitations, and mailings, including
preparation of annual tax mailing to donors each January.
- Provide back-up assistance for gift processing including peak
times after Christmas, pledge campaigns and Easter.
Basilica of Saint Mary – Staff
- Participate in Development team meetings and “pipeline”
meetings with Development Officers.
- Participate in Basilica “All Staff” meetings and respond in a
timely manner to emails and voicemails from colleagues and
- Be ready to work and complete all assigned responsibilities and
accept additional responsibilities identified (as needed) and
assigned by the Director of Development.
Designation of Essential Functions
Employment in and by the is substantially different from
Church employees/volunteers must conduct themselves in a manner
which is consistent with and supportive of the mission and purpose
of the Church. This position does/does not require that the
employee to be a Catholic. However, as a parish community rooted in
the teachings of the Catholic Church, employees/volunteers are
expected to be knowledgeable of core tenets and respectful of the
mission, purpose, and teachings of the Catholic faith.