Development and Alumni Relations (DAR) supports Johns Hopkins’
focus on research, teaching and patient care, and its role as a
national and global leader in higher education. We create and
foster enduring relationships that result in advocacy and
philanthropic support for Johns Hopkins University & Medicine;
strengthening the institution through partnerships with donors,
alumni, volunteer leaders, faculty, students, staff, and
Johns Hopkins University supports a flexible work
model which includes four different work modalities. This role has
a hybrid work arrangement with an onsite presence of 3 days per
week. The manager will confirm the team’s core onsite days where
the majority/all team members will work in the office. Employees
who travel on university business can count those days towards
their onsite days.
The Fund for Johns Hopkins Medicine strives to
generate maximal philanthropic support for the priorities, goals,
and activities of Johns Hopkins Medicine through developing
effective relationships with faculty, clinicians, institutional
leaders, donors, School of Medicine alumni, and potential donors.
Through securing philanthropy, building and maintaining donor
relationships, and supporting institutional efforts, we contribute
substantially to Johns Hopkins Medicine’s mission to benefit
patients and advance the field of medicine. The Director of
Administration and Operations will play an integral role in the
ability to accomplish this mission.
Responsibilities include providing leadership to the FJHM
Finance Team, project management leadership over strategic
financial planning, management, reporting, and data analysis.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for The Fund for Johns
Hopkins Medicine (FJHM), they will work closely to ensure strategic
financial planning, analysis, forecasting and efficient development
operations including gift processing. They will function as a
highly collaborative partner with each FJHM Development Office and
their respective leaders, in addition to the Sr. Finance Analyst on
liaising with School of Medicine Finance and Development and Alumni
Relations (DAR) Finance Teams.
This position will have one direct report and oversee a team of
5 in the FJHM Finance Team.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Financial Management and
- Develop and oversee the implementation of a financial and
administrative plan that supports the organization’s short- and
long-term strategic objectives in collaboration with the FJHM VP,
executive staff, program managers, and divisional staff.
- Create strategies and execute plans to improve financial
processes related to purchasing, invoice payment, payroll,
incentive management, budget updates, and others as identified by
the AVP. Partner with respective colleagues for
- Provide recommendations to FJHM leadership on strategies to
conform to budgetary policies and guidelines.
- Analyze complex financial data; extract and report relevant
information; interpret data for the purpose of determining past
financial performance; and perform financial forecasts based upon
trend analyses and changing strategies. Provide and present written
quarterly reports to the VP Suite that include the year-to-date
budget, forecasting, and trends in the divisions and departments
that will better inform recommendations and strategies for
Development of Alumni Relations.
- In partnership with the sr. financial analyst, lead the
creation of budget dashboards and financial reports for senior
Administrative Policies and Strategic
- Oversee the FJHM LAN Support position.
- Set FJHM administrative policies and best practices and
coordinate communications and training for administrative
coordinators servicing 20 FJHM development offices and 3 National
Capital Region (NCR) foundations on such policies.
- Maintain and streamline standard administrative functions for
FJHM and support the implementation of new practices to improve
operations. Partner with FJHM’s Talent Management and Human
Resources Business Partner to attract, train, develop and retain
- Provide strategic tactical guidance to administrative
coordinators on FJHM administrative matters, in collaboration with
Directors of Development.
- Oversee the distribution of FJHM financial and operations
policies, practices, and procedures to new employees during their
onboarding to ensure consistency across FJHM administrative
SoM and JHHS Finance Engagement
- Develop strategies and operations to increase FJHM
collaboration and coordination with SoM Finance Directors and Johns
Hopkins Health System (JHHS) Finance Leadership.
- Lead agenda development for annual meetings with all SoM
Finance Directors as a group and individually with their respective
administrators and directors of development,
Development Operations and Recording
- Create visualized methods to communicate finance and operations
information to senior leadership and other key stakeholders.
- Oversee all finance and operations communications;
strategically identify communications needs; develop and execute
plans and presentations for leadership and development
- Provide financial modeling for proposals and/or gifts including
Current Annual Fund (CAF) impact or endowment payouts.
- Lead financial modeling for campaign planning and various
capital projects to ensure that the project is created and
accounted for correctly in SAP and that the budget and expenses are
reflected properly in financial results.
- Provide FJHM, NCR, and HHF Hospital Foundations with strategic
direction related to gift processing policies and procedures to
ensure efficient and timely deposits of donor receipts in
compliance with University cash management policies and central
Advancement Services policies on gift processing.
- In collaboration with DAR Advancement Services, SoM Finance
Directors, and Development Directors, determine best practices for
standardization and management of gift account creation, naming,
de-activation, and entry into JHAS.
- Develop FJHM policies and processes pertaining to the
appropriate collection and recording, and electronic storage of all
necessary documentation supporting the intended purpose of funds
supported by philanthropic contributions.
- Work in partnership with the JHHS Tax Office to oversee
non-profit solicitation registration for each partner hospital;
provide analysis annually to determine which registrations to
maintain, expire, or add.
- Develop a strong relationship with DAR Office of Advancement
Services; serving as an FJHM contact, ensuring efficient
operations, and resolving issues.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or other
- Five years of progressively responsible professional-level
administrative or financial experience related to monetary or
non-monetary resources of a department, center or unit.
- Additional graduate education may substitute for experience and
additional experience may substitute for education, to the extent
permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
- Experience working in finance or fundraising environment.
- Prior experience managing a team.
- Strong analytical and financial modeling skills.
- Knowledge of budgeting and financial planning.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to collaborate and build effective relationships with
All applicants are expected to uphold the university’s core
values which includes diversity and inclusion. All staff treat
people with dignity and respect by being fair and consistent. We
demonstrate an open-minded approach to understanding people
regardless of their race, gender, age, national origin, religion,
ethnicity, disability status or other characteristics. We show
respect for the beliefs and traditions of others; encourage and
promote practices that support cultural diversity; and discourage
behaviors or practices that may be perceived as unfair, biased, or
critical toward people with certain backgrounds.