Search for President and CEO
About Middleton Place Foundation
Located in Charleston, SC, Middleton Place Foundation, a public,
non-profit educational trust, is responsible for effectively
operating and preserving Middleton Place National Historic Landmark
and the Edmondston-Alston House. Middleton Place
Foundation’s mission is to connect people with the past, inspiring
a deeper understanding of ourselves and each other through
understanding American history. The Foundation upholds the
highest levels of historic preservation, research, education, and
inclusive interpretation by sharing the stories of the Africans,
African Americans, and Europeans who lived and worked on these
For decades, Middleton Place Foundation has provided educational
programs to the public. Based on ongoing historical research,
Middleton Place historians, interpretive guides, artisan
craftspeople, and educators offer authentic experiences that
inspire people to deepen and broaden their perspectives of our
nation’s shared history and ourselves. The history at Middleton
Place spans three centuries of one family, including a signer of
the Declaration of Independence and the essential stories and
contributions of over 3,200 enslaved people who lived and labored
Located along the historic Ashley River, Middleton Place
encompasses 110 acres of America’s Oldest Landscaped Gardens, House
Museum, Stableyards, and Eliza’s House. Guests can enjoy the
restaurant, retail shops, and award-winning 55-room Inn at
Middleton Place. Additionally, the Foundation operates the Edmondston-Alston House, a
House Museum located in downtown Charleston. Each year, over
100,000 visitors and over 6,000 students and teachers come to
explore our shared American history.
Middleton Place Foundation seeks a visionary leader with the
ability to drive sustainability and growth. Reporting to the Board
of Trustees, the President and CEO will be responsible for the
strategic, programmatic, financial, and operational leadership of
the organization which has a $10 million annual budget and 105
full-time employees. This individual will possess the experience,
skill, and desire to set the direction and future strategy of the
organization as well as lead a seasoned staff to oversee day-to-
Celebrating 50 years since its founding, Middleton Place
Foundation is entering a transformative phase. Collaborating with
renowned landscape architect Thomas Woltz, the Foundation aims to
develop and realize a visionary master plan that propels
sustainable growth, education, and engagement. This pivotal moment
demands a dynamic President and CEO with an impressive track record
to chart the Foundation’s course for the next 50 years and
This is a multifaceted role calling for a tested and confident
executive who has the ingenuity and charisma to chart a compelling
vision for the future, lead a dedicated team, and mobilize support
for the mission of Middleton Place.
Leadership and Management:
- Articulate and implement a clear and compelling strategic
vision that advances the Foundation’s mission and ensures long-term
- Lead and manage a dedicated team of professionals, cultivating
a collaborative and results-oriented culture.
- Develop innovative ways to leverage all the Foundation’s assets
to drive revenue and exceptional visitor experiences (includes
Gardens, House Museums, and Stableyards, as well as hospitality
operations including the Restaurant and Inn).
- Establish and pursue goals in partnership with the Board of
Trustees and staff.
- Serve as the lead fundraiser and partnership builder for the
Foundation with a strategic approach to revenue generation.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with existing donors while
generating support from new constituencies.
- Mobilize support for Middleton Place as a signature destination
and think creatively about how to enrich the visitor experience and
External Relations and Communications:
- Serve as the Foundation's primary spokesperson, communicating
an inspiring vision and promoting Middleton Place as a thought
leader on local, national, and international
- Foster and maintain strong partnerships within the community,
including with elected and civic leaders, to ensure the Foundation
continues to be an integral, visible part of Charleston’s cultural
- Oversee all aspects of the organization’s marketing and public
- Effectively engage donors, visitors, volunteers, descendants,
and partners to garner support for the Foundation's mission and
- Ensure the organization's financial health and
- Collaborate with staff on budget planning, financial reporting,
Cultural Sensitivity and Ethical Stewardship:
- Lead efforts to elevate the Foundation’s historical and
cultural significance, ensuring diverse narratives are
- Uphold the highest ethical standards in managing historical
sites, collections, and landscapes, honoring Middleton Place's
historical authenticity and significance while driving
- 10+ years of strategic management experience and the stature
and credibility to lead a renowned nonprofit organization.
- Exceptional leadership skills, visionary thinking, and ability
to put vision into action.
- Proven ability to build and lead high-performing teams with an
inclusive and collaborative leadership style.
- Exceptional fundraising skills with a demonstrated ability to
secure financial support from a diverse range of sources.
- The ability to serve as the public face of the organization,
with excellent communication skills that foster meaningful
interactions with stakeholders and garner support, collaboration,
and advocacy for the Foundation's mission.
- Cultural sensitivity and appreciation for diverse historical
narratives, ensuring interpretation aligns with the Foundation's
values and site histories.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and decisively,
collaboratively setting goals, resolving challenges, making
informed decisions, and achieving desired outcomes.
- Strong business acumen and financial management skills,
including budgeting, revenue optimization, and strategic
- A strong commitment to uphold the Foundation's vision, mission,
and values, demonstrating unwavering dedication to historic
preservation, conservation, research, education, and inclusive
- Bachelor's degree required; master's degree in relevant field
Middleton Place Foundation offers a competitive salary
and benefits package, commensurate with experience.
Send nominations or cover letter and resume to: Carol Page at
Middleton Place Foundation is an equal opportunity employer
committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive, and equitable work
environment. We encourage applications from individuals of all