The Membership Manager is responsible for the stewardship of
Riverkeeper’s membership base who donate up to $4,999 to the
organization. The key objectives for this position are to expand
the number of members (currently at 3,700) by at least 50% and
increase the membership funding stream for Riverkeeper’s work from
$500,000 to $650,000 in the next five years.
Reporting to the VP for Development and working closely
with the Director of Communications and Marketing, the Membership
Manager will plan and execute creative campaigns using a wide
variety of strategies, including both broad and targeted outreach
through print and digital communications, text-based messaging,
influencers and social media, to inform and increase Riverkeeper’s
membership. The Membership Manager will implement digital best
practices and marketing techniques and ensure that the database and
administrative processes that support Membership run efficiently,
from interactions with members to data and gift entry, to
Essential Duties &
MEMBERSHIP COMMUNICATIONS & OUTREACH
- In partnership with the Communications and Marketing team,
create member communication and engagement materials including
direct mail, email, newsletters, surveys, organic and paid social
media and membership campaigns.
- Use established communication and outreach methods to:
- manage membership renewal process for existing and lapsed
- identify and qualify current and prospective members
- prospect, guide and convert members through various donor
levels including Major Gifts and Planned Giving
- work with Volunteer and Outreach Coordinator in creating and
executing strategies to convert volunteers, event attendees and
activists to member/donor status.
- Explore and implement new technologies (e.g., text messaging,
peer-to-peer fundraising) to grow membership as
- Conduct in-person solicitation meetings and/or calls with
higher level members as needed.
- Collaborate closely with the digital and media specialist, who
manages Riverkeeper’s website and online giving portal.
- Oversee the integrity of membership records within the donor
database, supervise acknowledgment procedures, list maintenance,
and membership data clean up as needed.
- Administer membership budget and postage accounts, giving
vehicle accounts such as EarthShare, 1% for the Planet, and others
- Manage Riverkeeper merchandise budget, inventory, creation, and
sales online through Shopify and in-person at events as
- Work with Database Coordinator to pull mailing lists, queries,
and reports from the Raiser's Edge database.
- Collaborate with program staff and Volunteer & Outreach
Coordinator to manage outreach, advocacy, and other
movement-building events and activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience & Competencies
Research shows that women and people from under-represented
groups often apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the
qualifications. Please know that no one ever meets 100% of the
qualifications. If much of this describes you, we encourage you to
This might be the right next role for you if you have
3-5 years of relevant experience in membership
management preferably in the non-profit sector.
- Undergraduate degree or combination of education/work
experience in a related field strongly preferred.
- Direct working knowledge with fundraising using varied methods
(direct mail, digital channels and social media campaigns,
- Must have excellent writing ability, and strong communications
skills to interact effectively and discretely with members and
- Technical proficiency with Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge, Luminate
Online and/or similar database platforms; proficiency in MS Office
and Google Suite.
- Strong organizational skills in handling multiple assignments
simultaneously while keeping attention to detail and accuracy.
- Experience in coordinating advocacy and volunteer events is a
- Must be adaptable to working autonomously and as part of team
in an open environment.
- Ability to function in a fast-paced environment, be
self-motivated and proactive in advancing Riverkeeper’s
- Sense of humor, dependability, and collaborative spirit are
Other Employment Details
- This exempt position is full time (40 hours/week). This
position requires flexibility to work some evenings and weekends.
Hybrid schedule requiring a minimum of 2 days in the office.
- Base salary range: $70,000 - $75,000, commensurate with
- Riverkeeper offers health, dental, vision, life and disability
coverage, retirement savings plan match, annual $500 professional
development stipend, Paid Time Off (vacation, sick, personal days,
parental leave, holidays, summer Fridays), and other benefits;
closed between Christmas and New Year’s Day holidays.
- All employees are must be fully vaccinated for Covid-19.
How to Apply
You must submit a resume and cover letter via email to
email@example.com. Please write ‘Membership
Manager’ in the subject line. The position will remain
open until filled.
Riverkeeper is an AA/EEO employer. Riverkeeper is
committed to attracting, developing, and retaining exceptional
people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic,
rewarding, and enables each of us to realize our potential. Our
work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners,
respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex,
gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political
affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information,
veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law.
People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.