he Annapolis Opera Company (AOC) seeks a Development Director
(DD) to lead the organization’s fundraising activities. This
position is a unique opportunity for a fundraising professional who
is interested in joining an energized organization with exciting,
expanded artistic initiatives. These initiatives position the
company for new connections to prospective donors and strengthen
relationships with current donors.
ABOUT THE ANNAPOLIS OPERA COMPANY
Through 51 years of artistic excellence, the Annapolis Opera
continues to bring outstanding, innovative programming to the
greater Washington/Baltimore/Annapolis region. A valued cultural
community asset, and a growing force in a vibrant arts-centric
town, the company is poised for even greater success in the years
Annapolis Opera has also been an exemplar of Diversity, Equity,
and Inclusion by actively amplifying diverse voices, on and off the
stage, and has set an exceptional standard for fostering a rich and
inclusive artistic environment throughout its history.
The past five years have marked a period of remarkable growth
and expansion for the company. This is an exciting opportunity to
forge even stronger connections within our community, broaden our
educational reach, and champion even more innovative and relevant
Reporting to the General Director, the Director of Development
(DD) will work closely with the Board of Trustees, General
Director, and Artistic and Music Director. The DD will
spearhead all efforts related to fundraising with a particular
focus on growing the number of donors through increased
cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities. An emphasis
will be placed on pipeline development and substantial growth in
the major gifts program.
The DD must be well organized, self-directed, detail-oriented,
and have excellent writing and people skills taking the lead on
developing a comprehensive annual fund strategy and cultivating and
soliciting donors. Importantly, the DD must exhibit expertise in
supporting Board members as effective fundraisers. The DD will
ensure the development function integrates closely with the
organization's marketing and communications function.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited
- Create and implement a comprehensive development plan for
individual giving, annual fundraising events, and corporate and
- Develop and implement strategies for the cultivation,
solicitation, and stewardship of individuals and corporate donors
as well as the identification and qualification of prospective
- Manage direct mail appeals seeking individual contributions and
matching corporate gifts.
- Develop a moves management plan to build the major donor
prospect pipeline and expand the total donor base.
- Conduct prospect research, maintain donor and prospect files,
and ensure proper administration of donor benefits through
effective database management.
- Design and manage fundraising events in collaboration with the
AO leadership team that also enhances the visibility of the
organization in the community.
- Provide effective reporting on development goals and results
for the General Director, the Board, and the development committee
including projections, potential action planning, evaluation, and
Requirements & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of 2 years of direct fundraising experience and proven
success in building fundraising strategies.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and at ease
speaking convincingly to donors.
- Strong problem-solving, research, and analytical skills.
- Proficiency in office technologies and CRM systems.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Experience in the performing arts field is a plus.