Hawthornden Foundation is a U.S. private charitable foundation
supporting contemporary writers and literary arts with an
international residential fellowship program in its castle in
Scotland. Hawthornden also supports a second historic property,
Casa Ecco on Lake Como in Italy, the site of years of
“Conversazioni” among writers and now a retreat for invited
established authors to complete a literary work in progress. In
addition, the Foundation sponsors the annual Hawthornden Prize, one
of Britain’s oldest and foremost literary awards, and provides
grant support to other literary programs. Hawthornden is beginning
an expansion of its global activities and building its grants
management function to support this exciting period of growth.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Grants Manager will be
responsible for coordinating the development, administrative
management, reporting and closeout of grants and other programmatic
investments made by the Hawthornden Foundation and will ensure
consistent grant processing. The position is new to the Foundation
and the incumbent will be responsible for the entire grant
lifecycle, from sourcing to grant close, as well as ensuring the
Foundation has the necessary infrastructure and processes in place.
The successful candidate will possess collaboration and
problem-solving skills and will provide seasoned guidance on
compliance issues as well as key financial and operational best
We are committed to building and sustaining an inclusive and
equitable working environment for all staff. We encourage
applicants of all backgrounds and perspectives to apply. Qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to age; ethnicity; gender; gender identity and expression;
nationality; parental status; physical, mental, and developmental
abilities; race; religion; sexual orientation; skin color;
socioeconomic status; and human styles.
Grant Administration – 70%
- Oversee overall grants process, document procedures, and manage
all aspects of process implementation including approvals.
- Propose changes to program process and workflows based on
sector best practices that would support effective and efficient
internal practices and great grantmaking.
- Identify methods for simplifying and clarifying grant processes
to diminish the burden on grantee and staff alike.
- Implement a robust grants management/reporting system that
supports the full grantmaking lifecycle, future expansion, external
communications, as well as any additional financial, legal, and
- Administer all components of the grants infrastructure and
operations, including database management and data integrity, grant
documentation, and grant compliance.
- Prepare and provide accurate grant data / information to the
Executive Director, Board of Trustees, and other internal and
- Conduct applicant due diligence on key functional areas, their
management capacity and stability, proposal risk profiles, and
ultimately the viability of proposals.
- Analyze grantee budget and expenditure reports and ensure
compliance with the Foundation’s terms and conditions.
- Support monitoring strategies, i.e., site visits and check-in
meetings, in collaboration with other staff.
- Act as the point of contact with applicants and grantees
helping to track progress, troubleshoot problems, and support
Operations – 30%
- Responsible for ensuring overall grantmaking operations and
systems align with philanthropic strong
- Serve as administrator of grants management system, including
troubleshooting, assuring data integrity, and iterating the
configuration to meet the Foundation’s evolving needs.
- Document and maintain operational workflows as a resource for
internal and external stakeholders.
- In collaboration with other Foundation staff, plan and monitor
the grantmaking budget and report on financial data to drive
- Prepare data-related reports for Foundation staff and Board
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent lived experience, and 5-years’
experience in grants administration
- Familiarity with international grantmaking
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing
software installations; implementation and/or system administration
experience with one or more grants management systems is a
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and
- Customer-service orientation to support all stakeholders
involved with the grantmaking function
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic,
organization and problem solving skills which support and enable
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with
an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of
internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to communicate in a culturally appropriate and
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to
the mission of the Hawthornden
Location: The successful candidate should be in
the NYC metro area and be able to work from the Foundation offices
2-3 days per week.
Salary Range: $80,000 - $100,000 commensurate
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume in a
single file to email@example.com
with the subject line “Grants Manager”. Applications will be
accepted until the position is filled.