The Director of Annual Giving will lead the planning and
implementation of a comprehensive annual giving campaign to
increase philanthropy and engagement among University of Pikeville
constituents. In collaboration with Advancement & Alumni
Relations team members, the Director of Annual Giving will
identify, qualify, cultivate and solicit an assigned portfolio of
established and prospective donors while also managing effective
stewardship of annual donors to recognize their support.
The University of Pikeville (UPIKE) strives to serve students –
35% of whom are first-generation, 99% of whom receive some form of
financial aid, and 18% of whom are non-white at the undergraduate
level – by making learning accessible and affordable. One of the
University’s signature initiatives is Open Educational Resources,
which offers no-cost course materials and reduces the economic
burden on students and families. The academic programs at the
institution utilize flexible delivery modes, including face-to
face, hybrid, and online course offerings and programs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Devise and lead strategies to secure annual fund contributions,
including encouraging repeat donors to increase their contributions
year to year, reactivating lapsed donors and increasing donor
- Manage a portfolio of annual giving-level gift prospects and
develop a pipeline of major gift prospects in coordination with the
Director of Major Gifts.
- Cultivate, solicit and steward current and prospective donors
through targeted campaigns, appeals and face-to-face meetings.
- Develop and oversee a strategy to improve donor acquisition,
gift renewal and pledge fulfillment.
- Oversee multi-channel (mail, phone, email, social media) mass
solicitation strategies to increase giving and participation on an
- Set dollar, participation and qualitative goals for the annual
giving program and analyze results/trends to ensure growth in
annual giving and donor retention.
- Modify the university’s giving societies and their associated
- Lead volunteer recruitment, training and recognition for annual
giving activities including alumni, parents and corporate
- Utilize software to record visits and contact notes to ensure
appropriate constituent follow-up and timely recognition of
- Draft and annual fund solicitation and acknowledgement letters
and coordinate with deans for personalized stewardship as
- Manage the University of Pikeville employee giving
- Attend on-campus and off-campus events, as appropriate.
- Perform other related duties as needed.
Position requires daily contact with alumni, donors, prospective
donors, students, UPIKE faculty and staff, and other constituents
in order to expand alumni engagement and inspire philanthropic
Relationships are maintained through various modes of
communication including, but not limited to, e-mail, telephone,
written, and person-to-person contact.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- At least three years of relevant experience, ideally in the
higher education setting, is preferred.
- Direct experience managing volunteers.
- Ability to network and grow relationships, leading to
- Ability to manage an annual campaign.
- A strong sense of fundraising ethics and practices and respect
for confidentiality of donor information.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, with a
professional and empathetic approach.
- Willingness to be part of a collaborative environment and work
closely with colleagues and constituents.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, verbally and in
- Positive attitude and flexible approach.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and other
- Experience working with basic office equipment, e.g. computer,
- Commitment to the University of Pikeville mission.
The University of Pikeville offers a competitive salary
commensurate with qualifications and experience. UPIKE offers a
competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and
life insurance, telemedicine, long-term disability, tuition
waivers, a 403(b)-retirement plan, and HSA, FSA, & dependent
care accounts. UPIKE also offers a generous holiday schedule and
paid leave program.
Important Notes: Resume and other
application materials will be reviewed to determine if you meet the
required qualifications for the position. If it is determined that
you meet the required qualifications, your application materials
will be used to identify a top group of the most highly qualified
candidates. Please, specifically address the qualifications,
competencies and desired qualifications in your resume and
The University of Pikeville is committed to providing a safe and
productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this
goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants
being considered for employment. Background investigations include
a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial
and/or motor vehicle history.
The University of Pikeville is an equal opportunity employer
committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and
staff. The University of Pikeville does not discriminate on the
basis of race, ethnicity, color, sex, gender, gender identity,
sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age or disabilities
in its programs, activities, hiring, or the admission of
For more information about the University of Pikeville, please
Interested applicants should complete the online application by
visiting http://jobs.upike.edu. In addition to
the application, interested applicants are requested to attach to
their application a letter of interest, current resume, and the
contact information for three to five professional references.