Kansas City Symphony is seeking a dynamic, energetic, and
experienced Vice President of Philanthropy to lead our fundraising
and philanthropic initiatives. The VP of Philanthropy will play a
pivotal role in developing and implementing a comprehensive
fundraising strategy to support the Symphony’s growing artistic and
community engagement goals. With a focus on innovation and an
entrepreneurial spirit, the successful candidate will bring an
analytical and goal-oriented approach to the team. Additionally,
the successful candidate will have a proven track record of
cultivating and stewarding major donors and correlated fundraising
eﬀorts while setting and exceeding aggressive fundraising
Strategic Leadership. Formalizing and refining
- Lead the continued maturation of the Symphony’s philanthropy
program by creating and implementing systems and processes to
optimize fundraising operations.
- Establish performance measurements related to all components of
- Monitor and evaluate operational eﬀectiveness while
implementing changes required for improvement and adjusting
fundraising goals as needed.
- Ensure that data related to prospects and donors is recorded
and tracked in the database. Prepare reports, update donor records,
and assist with database maintenance as needed.
- Supervise and mentor a team of experienced fundraising
professionals, providing guidance, resources, and support in
executing successful fundraising initiatives.
- Foster a collaborative, supportive, and results-driven culture
within the philanthropy team.
Major Gifts and Donor Cultivation. Advancing
and inspiring new and renewed commitments:
- Cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of 50- 75 major
donors, foundations, and corporations to secure signiﬁcant and
transformational ﬁnancial annual support of $25,000+.
- Delegate and monitor eﬀective fulﬁllment of a robust
sponsorship and donor beneﬁts program.
- Build a Board Philanthropy committee and serve as the staﬀ lead
in support of the Philanthropy committee’s strategy and focus on
advancing donor relationships and securing gifts.
Partnership, Collaboration and Communication.
Breaking down silos and building connections:
- Develop a dynamic partnership with the President & CEO to
advance the best possible donor engagement strategy in pursuit of
- Support the President and CEO and key leaders in fundraising by
conducting and providing prospect research; developing briefing
memos and remarks; crafting gift request materials; and managing
full meeting preparations and follow-up.
- Partner with the Board of Directors to elevate their role in
fundraising and foster a culture of philanthropy within the
- Work closely with the Vice President of Marketing to develop,
implement, and manage strategic communications efforts that
effectively promote the organization, including letters, email,
social media, and printed publications.
- A passion for performing arts and innovation in the
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field; advanced degree or CFRE
certification is a plus.
- Proven track record of successfully raising significant funds
in a nonprofit or cultural institution.
- 5-8 years of successful revenue-generating experience, with a
broad and deep knowledge of philanthropy and a track record of
securing major gifts.
- Strong leadership and management skills, with experience
leading and inspiring a high-performing team.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the
ability to engage and inspire a diverse range of stakeholders.
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience. Kansas City
Symphony also offers a generous suite of benefits including a PPO
health insurance plan with dental and vision benefits, along with a
403(b) plan with employer match, disability insurance, and