Founded in 1986, the ESU
Foundation is an independent affiliate of East Stroudsburg
University with the sole mission of soliciting, receiving, and
administering gifts and donations that promote the growth,
progress, and general welfare of ESU and its students.
The East Stroudsburg University Foundation, the 501(c)(3)
affiliate of East Stroudsburg University, seeks a talented,
experienced, and energetic development professional to serve as the
Director of Alumni Engagement and Annual Giving.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Development and Alumni
Relations, the Director of Alumni Engagement and Annual Giving will
plan, develop, and execute a comprehensive strategy to engage
alumni for broader participation and involvement and to retain and
expand the number of donors to the foundation’s annual fund through
creative appeals, active cultivation, appropriate solicitation, and
stewardship. The expected outcome is increased income for the
Foundation, support for university priorities and increased alumni
participation and giving rates. This individual will oversee all
alumni engagement and annual giving activities including programs
and initiatives to prepare students to become engaged and
supportive future alumni.
Alumni Engagement Accountabilities
- Collaborate with Executive Director, Senior Director of
Development and Alumni Relations, and Alumni Association Board
Chair to establish strategic goals and annual objectives for the
- Serve as ex-officio member of the Alumni Association Board of
- Serve as the point of contact for the Alumni Association Board
of Directors to execute plans that support a diverse alumni
- Oversee the planning, marketing, volunteer management, and
execution of multiple events during Homecoming and Family weekends
that celebrate traditions and instill pride among alumni and their
- Develop a clear definition of a model alum and establish
volunteer roles and programs that align with the university’s
mission and strategic goals.
- Collaborate with the development team to coordinate events,
travel, and logistics for off-campus events, including identifying
hosts, venues, marketing, and event execution.
- Utilize best practices in all forms of alumni communications to
write, review, and create compelling content for alumni
e-newsletters, alumni magazine, and digital, print, website, and
social media platforms.
- Collaborate with development, donor relations, and advancement,
to build alumni connections and programs based on activities,
affiliations, student experiences, demographics, industry, and
special interests to provide more targeted opportunities for alumni
- Adopt industry-wide standards and best practices to establish a
correlation between alumni engagement and philanthropy, using KPI’s
Annual Giving Accountabilities
- Develop a strategy to expand the number and retention of donors
to the annual fund, using creative appeals, active cultivation,
appropriate solicitation, and stewardship to gain increasing
support from various constituencies.
- Maximize response rates and giving through effective
fundraising practices across direct mail, phone, and digital
campaigns including crowdfunding platforms.
- Serve as subject matter expert for donor segmentation,
consistently identifying and measuring donor profile
- Create and lead annual giving programs for athletics, reunion
classes, students, faculty/staff, parents, and young alumni,
building relationships with and stewarding key donors.
- Collaborate with Donor Relations and Stewardship to create,
monitor and evaluate donor renewal programs and initiatives.
- Construct monthly reports to measure annual giving results to
show growth, activity, status toward goals and prior year
- Participate in national and regional events and meet with key
annual donors to steward and increase giving levels.
- Work with development staff to effectively identify, cultivate
and build strategies for moving donors to higher giving levels and
engaging non donors to give.
- Develop and disseminate messaging to undergraduate students
that fosters a culture of giving and prepares students to become
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Five years of alumni engagement and fundraising experience;
preferably in higher education
- A proven history of success in running annual campaigns and
experience in cultivating and soliciting individuals for annual
- A thorough knowledge of alumni engagement trends, industry
standards and fundraising principles and best practices.
- Experience with managing boards and direct reports, recruiting
volunteers, budgeting, and planning events.
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues and peers within the
foundation, university leadership, external partners, and
- Strong writing skills in the areas of correspondence,
newsletters, magazine content, press releases, and scripts.
- Thorough knowledge of event planning from mission/concept to
execution and follow-up.
- Must have exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
with the ability to build relationships across multiple diverse
- Affinity for the overall mission of East Stroudsburg University
Foundation and East Stroudsburg University.
- Must have flexibility to work evenings and weekends and be
willing to travel.
Application package must
- Cover letter indicating why you are interested in this position
plus salary requirements.
- Resume (please include start and end date of employment for
- Names and contact information of three professional references
(at least two of which must have been immediate supervisors).
- Writing samples upon request
Send to: Search Committee, ESU Foundation, 200 Prospect Street,
East Stroudsburg, PA 18301, or email to
firstname.lastname@example.org. The East Stroudsburg University
Foundation is an equal opportunity employer encouraging excellence
through diversity. Excellent benefits include participation
in medical, dental and vision coverage; generous retirement plan;
life insurance; holidays; personal and vacation days and sick
Notice of Nondiscrimination: East Stroudsburg University
Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of race, color,
national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual
orientation, gender identity or veteran’s status in its programs
and activities in accordance with applicable federal and state laws
and regulations. The following person has been designated to
handle inquiries regarding this policy: Senior Director of
Finance and Administration, East Stroudsburg University Foundation,
200 Prospect Street, East Stroudsburg, PA 18301,
570-422-3236. For assistance or special accommodation, please