Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Director of
Development is responsible for the recruitment of institutional
partners and will be responsible for developing strategies to
attract strategic investment by foundations and corporations. The
Director of Development will lead efforts to engage, cultivate,
solicit, and steward a portfolio of corporate and foundation
prospects at all major gift-levels with a focus on securing five,
six and seven-figure grants. Qualified candidates will have a
history as an experienced development professional with strong
relationships with corporate and other foundations that are aligned
in mission with Marillac St. Vincent Family Services (MSV).
Duties & Responsibilities
- Cultivate and steward relationships with institutional funders
and develop funding opportunities that align with MSV. In
collaboration with the Chief Development Officer and the Prospect
Development and Research Manager, conduct prospect research to
identify new potential foundations and corporate partners.
- Build and manage a portfolio of foundation prospects and serve
as a primary partner to the Chief Development Officer, the Senior
Leadership Team and program team members to build a strong prospect
pipeline for MSV.
- Identify five, six and seven-figure grant opportunities for MSV
and prepare compelling proposal ideas that align with
organizational priorities and motivate investment in MSV’s vision
- Write and edit grant proposals, letters of inquiry, concept
papers, and reports in appropriate language for donors.
Successfully manage the process of preparing and submitting
proposals, letters of intent, budgets and reports and meet all
- Manage Grant Writer and their portfolio. Oversee that
position’s pipeline and reporting schedule.
- Write and execute gift agreements and terms for grants.
- Organize and prepare for site visits, presentations, and events
with foundation donors. Prepare leadership briefings for the Senior
Leadership Team and Board members as needed.
- Prepare timely fundraising progress reports. Comply with all
grant terms and reporting as required by donors. Provide necessary
follow-up and stewardship. Meet all grantor deadlines.
- Develop training materials to coach program leaders in grant
strategy and best practices.
- Create and manage a stewardship calendar and associated
communications and touchpoints to support successful long-term
partnerships with institutional funders.
- Develop strong and collaborative working relationships with
members of the organization to best understand MSV’s mission and
programs, and effectively articulate this information to donors and
- Document all development activity related to donor
identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship using the
- Create and manage systems for pipelines and forecast data
analysis and tracking. Report regular progress against goals,
including key donor engagement, solicitation and closed gifts
metrics, and moves management progress.
- Recommend potential prospects for the board and volunteer
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, is required.
- 7+ years of relevant development experience (at least 5 years
of experience in foundation relations), including the ability to
develop strong relationships with large foundations, and a proven
record of success in grant writing and grants management.
- Experienced in creating project budgets, and tracking outcomes
and financial progress throughout the grant cycle.
- Comfortable with aggressive goals, and the ability to
independently solicit and secure private gifts.
- Experience building and sustaining trusted relationships with
large corporations and foundations.
- Success supporting organizational leadership in donor
cultivation and solicitation.
- Ability to conceptualize and describe funding needs in a way
that is compelling to prospects, donors, and other
- Knowledge of software and web-based applications, including
Excel budget spreadsheets, MS office, development database
experience (RENXT), and Foundation Center and other foundation
- Results-oriented self-starter with an entrepreneurial and
- Passion for MSV’s mission and the ability to serve as an
ambassador for the organization.