JOB TITLE: Chief Development Officer
New York/NY/Hybrid. Most work may be carried out remotely, but some
in-person attendance at Hunger Free America’s Manhattan
headquarters and at on-site events in New York City at least a few
times per year will be required.
Hunger Free America is a dynamic, growing, and highly effective
nonpartisan, nonprofit organization seeking a Chief Development
Officer to play a key role helping us make history by enacting the
public policies and programs nationwide needed to entirely end U.S.
hunger. We are seeking a development/fundraising professional
with a minimum of three years of successful, full-time
development/fundraising experience and a proven track record of
successfully raising funds from both institutions and individual
donors. This is a full-time position that reports directly to the
CEO. This position will usually require 35-40 hours of work per
week and is ineligible for overtime payments.
- Working closely with the CEO and parts of HFA’s senior
leadership team, the Chief Development Officer will:
- Design and implement all development and fundraising activities
of the organization to increase donations from both unrestricted
and restricted sources.
- Manage all institutional and individual fundraising including
raising funds from government agencies, foundations, corporations,
small and medium donors, major gifts, direct mail and online
donations, and events.
- Increasing direct donations from high net worth
- Directly manage the work of a Development Associate, an
AmeriCorps VISTA, and occasional short-term or part-time
- Identify, research, write, pitch, and submit foundation,
corporate, and government funding proposals. Develop and submit
financial and programmatic progress reports to funders.
- Collaborate with the Strategic Volunteerism department to
integrate strategic volunteerism with fundraising, including
designing innovative events that can improve volunteer-donor
engagement and can increase funding from corporate volunteer
- Collaborate with the Communications team to increase our social
marketing partnerships with companies and brands, and improve
online promotional materials for the organization that relate to
fundraising, as well as to increase mid-size and small donors
- Collaborate with the Chief of Staff to co-lead the new
Associate Board to develop a collaborative fundraising strategy.
Guide board members to design and execute fundraising events and to
curate strategic partnership leads with other organizations.
- Advise the CEO and Board of Directors on how to fully integrate
development priorities with HFA’s strategic plan.
- Work with the CEO and Chief of Staff to continually engage
members of the Board of Directors with fundraising.
Ideal candidates will have as many of the following as
- A demonstrated, fierce commitment to, and passion about, Hunger
Free America’s mission to completely end hunger nationwide,
especially by raising wages and strengthening the social safety
net. Specific knowledge of hunger and poverty issues are a
- Bachelor’s degree required and a minimum of three years of
relevant, successful professional experience conducting both
individual and institutional fundraising. A related graduate or
professional degree is a plus.
- Direct experience in grant writing, grant management,
individual donor solicitation, board management and donor relations
- Successful fundraising track record and comfort and skill in
asking individuals, organizations, and institutions for money.
Direct experience in grant writing, grant management, individual
donor solicitation, and donor relations is required.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills for a
variety of audiences. Must be able to write concretely
and persuasively, sometimes on short deadlines. Most be strong,
- Proven ability to collaborate professionally and effectively
with diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively within a
- Experience developing and managing a nonprofit board and
supporting board members to maximize their engagement.
- Stellar organizational multi-tasking skills and an ability to
meet tight deadlines without fail.
- Experience with CRM/donor management software required.
Familiarity with Salesforce and/or crowdfunding software is a
- Experience managing other development staff is a plus.
- An outgoing, engaging personality.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The person in this position:
- Must be able to frequently remain in a stationary
- Occasionally moves about inside the office to access file
cabinets, office machinery, other offices, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity
machinery such as a calculator, copy machine and computer
- Occasionally travels around New York City and possibly outside
of NYC to attend meetings, conferences, and other organizational
- Frequently communicates with staff, donors, volunteers, and
clients and must be able to exchange accurate information in these
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
This is a full-time, 35 to 40-hour per week position, with
in-person work required in New York City at least a few times per
Starting annual salary range is $95,000 to $115,000 based on
Hunger Free America offers significant benefits to full-time
employees, including a strong health insurance plan which includes
fully paid employee premiums and a health reimbursement account.
Employees receive generous vacation, holiday, and sick time.
HOW TO APPLY:
- A resume and cover letter are required for your application.
- Hunger Free America is an equal opportunity employer. People of
diverse races, sexual orientations, ages, faiths, economic and
social backgrounds, genders, physical abilities, and national
origins are very strongly encouraged to apply.