Children in Conflict is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization
providing vital protection, education, psychosocial and other
critical services to children living in some of the world’s most
volatile areas. Children in Conflict is part of the newly formed
War Child Alliance Foundation which includes War Child UK, War
Child Holland, War Child Sweden and War Child Germany. Together, we
have one vision; a world where no child’s life is torn apart by
The Opportunity and Role
Established in 2017, Children in Conflict has a dedicated team
of talented fundraisers, high-profile ambassadors, donors and
volunteers who have helped us build a community of committed
supporters. CIC and the Foundation are set for the next phase of
growth and we are seeking an experienced dynamic Executive Director
to stand front and center and lead the way to continued
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will
provide leadership to support and strengthen the work of the
organization and will be responsible for the organization's
consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives. The
ideal candidate will possess deep knowledge and extensive
experience in nonprofit management, organization leadership and
effective fundraising and revenue development.
- Provide inspiring day-to-day leadership and management of
organization and team members, Board of Directors, ambassadors,
donors and volunteers ensuring organization remains on track to
achieve mission and exceed both annual and long-term goals.
- Plan and deliver year over year growth by serving as a
strategic visionary for the organization.
- Work closely with ambassadors to create effective, engaging,
and long-term revenue support opportunities, and recruit, onboard
and manage high-profile individuals in support of our mission.
- Provide guidance to Board of Directors, ambassadors, teams and
donors on growth initiatives including the ability to think
long-term and provide guidance and leadership to projected new
market members and funders including US government funding
- Prepare and implement annual organization policies and
procedures and ensure policies are effective and applicable to both
operations and revenue development.
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of the work CIC does,
our mission and our strategies.
- Hire and supervise staff ensuring employees are kept up to date
with most recent approved human resource policies and procedures,
as well as providing onboarding guidance, annual benefit
administration, federal and state insurance compliance and other
human resource guidance and implementation as required. This
includes recruitment and general team management for full-time and
part-time staff. Provide annual reviews and ensure compliance with
personnel related policies and procedures for all employees at all
- Provide input and guidance to international fundraising groups
and actively participate and engage as a leader within specialized
groups, providing annual budget and revenue projections,
fundraising initiatives, and ensuring CIC is on target to meet
annual goals and actively using donor dollars effectively and as
- Facilitate compliance with all federal, state, and local
regulations including trademark registration, ensuring CIC is in
good-standing and in compliance with required state registrations
and international requirements.
- Work closely with Board and Director of Development,
ambassadors and volunteer leaders to build robust and diverse
annual fundraising plan ensuring plan is effectively executed to
achieve and exceed annual and long-term goals.
- Steward high net worth and high-profile supporters as well as
organization’s major donors and key funding relationships, building
long lasting relationships in support of programming
- Partner with volunteer leadership to solicit funding and other
support from individuals, corporations, foundations, and other
sources of funding. Engage national C-suite level leaders to join
organization in support of programming and create network of
corporate leaders to serve as community spokesperson for
organization and its work.
- Provide leadership for donor-centered special event fundraising
initiatives ensuring fundraising priorities are incorporated and
successfully implemented and meet revenue projections with minimum
- Ensure development team plan is in line with target objectives
and on track to meet fundraising metrics.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and
trends in both the US and international fundraising and
Board and Volunteer Leadership
- Serves as staff manager/partner to Board providing leadership,
support, materials, reports, and assistance in building and
implementing annual plans and ensuring the ongoing development of a
strong and engaged Board.
- Work closely with Board Chair and Board Treasurer to ensure
organization’s finances are on target to meet quarterly and annual
- Prepare and present quarterly finance and organization progress
reports, ensuring Board is kept fully informed on condition of
- Develop and maintain policies and procedures that promote a
good working relationship with Board and ensures annual Board
requirements are met including annual Board documentation.
- Provides guidance to Board regarding identification and
nomination of new Board members and acts as leadership in
attracting and retaining high-impact board members.
- Works with volunteer boards to actively engage support and
provides leadership to ensure boards are supportive of
organization’s work and long-term goals.
- Expand volunteer boards for further national expansion and
footprint of organization.
Community and Public Outreach
- Serves as organization’s primary staff representative both
nationally and internationally; builds strategic relationships with
stakeholders and donors on behalf of CIC and expands CIC’s
footprint in philanthropic community, providing leadership for the
cultivation of productive relationships in the media and serves as
the organization’s spokesperson.
- Review and approves all external communications ensuring
messaging meets CIC’s priorities and mission objectives.
Finance and Revenue Development
- Provides overall financial management of organization including
developing annual operating budgets for both CIC and CIC’s annual
contribution to WCAF including regular monitoring of monthly,
quarterly, mid-year and annual objectives ensuring organization is
on track to meet revenue and expense targets. This includes
oversight of monthly PNL reporting and month-end financial
closings. Consistently delivers against established revenue/expense
- Management of annual audit and ensuring audit meets timely
annual filing of financial statements including monitoring filings
for registered states and required documents supporting annual
- Work closely with international team leaders to develop revenue
initiatives which support Foundation operations to further
financial support and growth of organizations.
Required Skills and Experience
- 10+ years of successful experience in direct
organizational leadership as an Executive Director, CEO or
leadership/C-suite role preferably in the nonprofit field with a
proven track record of organization management, leadership skills
and meeting/exceeding projected goals with year over year
- Bachelor’s Degree with MBA preferred; will consider combination
of education and experience dependent upon equivalent direct
- A strong background in finance with active experience in
budgeting and working knowledge of best practices and procedures as
well as a strong background in accounting preferable.
- A strong visionary entrepreneurial individual with a “can-do”
attitude with the willingness and flexibility to wear multiple
hats, and the innate ability to pivot as needed with poise and
- Ability to actively travel both nationally and internationally.
Regular travel is required for this position.
- A builder of authentic relationships with partners, funders,
supporters, and team members, able to speak in a clear, concise,
and compelling manner about the organization’s mission and those we
- Experienced in implementing successful fundraising operations
including building successful revenue generating programs,
partnerships and the cultivation and stewardship of philanthropic
- Deep understanding of the philanthropic landscape and revenue
development; strong nonprofit operation knowledge with in-depth
experience in operations management.
- Skilled in strategic planning, project management, and
organization; able to focus on and communicate clear priorities
while not losing sight of the details and align vision with defined
- Ability to proactively lead and manage teams including
volunteer committees provide guidance and support for
- Experience in managing boards and volunteer committee leaders
with effective outcomes.
- Writing, public speaking, marketing/communications experience a
plus with effective presentation skills.
- Job Type: Full-time, Exempt, Hybrid; 1-2 days week in office.
Additional days as needed for events and/or meetings.
- Location: New York City. Candidates in NYC and surrounding area
will be of primary consideration. Consideration will also be given
to candidates who meet qualifications outside of NYC metro area.
Relocation assistance not provided.
- Work Authorization: Current US required
- International travel is required as part of this role; Active
US passport is required.
- Salary range: $140,000 - $165,000 depending on experience.
Please submit cover letters, salary exceptions and resume to