CALIFORNIA STATE RAILROAD MUSEUM FOUNDATION
Position: Director of Development
About the Foundation and this Opportunity
The California State Railroad Museum Foundation is a proud
partner of California State Parks, supporting the California State
Railroad Museum in Sacramento and Railtown 1897 State Historic Park
in Jamestown, California. The Foundation and Museum are at a major
inflection point as we work with Parks to help make the Museum a
laboratory of learning, a museum without walls, a place of
community, and a museum of, by, and for the extended community.
Over the past two years, we have focused our efforts on building
partnerships with educational, cultural, and industry leaders. We
have partnered with groups such as the Silk Road Ensemble, the
Great Wall Youth Orchestra, and with the Lemelson-MIT Center, with
which we will launch an invention focused STEM education program in
the latter half of the year.
In partnership with State Parks, the Foundation runs two
interpretive railroads in Sacramento and Jamestown, operates three
museum stores, runs the membership program for our two partner
properties, advocates for California State Parks, provides
marketing support, and supports several positions working in the
Museum and the historic Sacramento Southern Pacific Shops. The
Foundation generated more than $6 million in revenue in 2023 and
has significant reserves.
While the Foundation has a strong earned revenue model, it lacks
a robust contributed revenue stream. We are seeking a Director of
Development to join our team to reimagine and build our fund
development department and programs.
Your Role and Responsibilities
As the Director of Development, you'll bring your unique skills
and vision to our team. You'll be leading the charge in expanding
our fund development department and programs. This role is a blend
of creativity, strategy, and leadership, and you'll be working
closely with the CEO, and COO.
Here's a glimpse of what you'll be doing:
- Spearheading all development initiatives and projects.
- Overseeing the Membership Department, including sales efforts
- Identifying and securing new funding sources, with an emphasis
on major and planned gifts.
- Building and maintaining relationships with donors and
- Overseeing gift processing, donor recognition, and related
- Building relationships with various constituencies to advance
the mission and fundraising goals for the Museum and Railtown.
Who We're Looking For
We believe you're the ideal candidate if you have:
- A proven background in fund development, preferably in a
- A minimum of ten years in a supervisory position.
- Experience in donor cultivation, gift solicitation, and
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to juggle
- Strong budgeting skills and a detail-oriented approach.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Proficiency in modern office tools, including M365 and Donor
Perfect (a plus).
- Experience working with volunteers.
What We Offer
The salary range for this position is $90,000 – $110,000
annually. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package, including
three weeks of paid vacation, medical, vision, and dental
insurance, and a 401k retirement plan.
Physical and Other Requirements
This role is primarily office-based with standard physical
demands and occasional lifting. The ability to climb on and off
railroad passenger equipment is required. Flexibility to work on
weekends and holidays is appreciated as several of our major events
fall on weekends. Occasional travel will be required.
Instructions to Applicants
Please email a cover letter and resume to Tim Schroepfer,
President & CEO (email@example.com) by February 11.
Non-traditional applicants are highly encouraged to