The Scripps Howard Fund (a public charity) and Scripps Howard
Foundation (a private foundation) were established by The E.W.
Scripps Company to create informed and engaged communities through
journalism education, childhood literacy and local causes.
The Scripps Howard Foundation President & CEO is part of
The E.W. Scripps senior leadership team and is responsible for
leadership of the Fund and Foundation. This role leads a team
in accomplishing the organizations’ shared mission and sets their
strategy, initiatives, revenue streams and programs. This is
a hybrid position located in Cincinnati, OH.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
Vision and Leadership
- Serves as visionary, anticipating both cultural and business
- Operate as the chief advocate for the Fund and Foundation as
well as author and owner of the associated long-term strategy.
- Is attentive to trends in the philanthropic community, in the
media industry, in journalism education and professional
development and in research.
- Set and lead the execution of the Fund and Foundation's
long-term strategy ensuring appropriate alignment with the overall
direction and interest of The E.W. Scripps Company.
- Provide guidance to keep daily operations aligned with
Values and Ethical Standards Management
- Ensure the adoption of and adherence to appropriate values and
ethical standards in all Fund and Foundation business.
- Set policies and procedures in full conformance to laws and
regulations, especially as they apply to the legal and proper role
of a tax-exempt private foundation and a tax-exempt public
Financial Management and Stewardship
- Responsible for the overall financial health of the Fund and
Foundation and for accomplishing financial goals and
- Is the chief steward of resources entrusted to the Fund and
Foundation and works diligently to ensure their careful,
appropriate, and effective use in keeping with the intentions of
- Oversee the management of fundraising activities and planning
and the development of strategies to build donor base and diversify
- Oversee branding, marketing and communication pertaining to
fundraising and donor acquisition and retention.
Program and Grants Management
- Nurture innovation. Develop and oversee programming, grant
making and grant management strategies and systems.
- Ensure such strategies and systems are well implemented. Ensure
programs and grants are effective and aligned with the Fund and
Foundation's vision and mission and also with the overall
directions and interests of The E.W. Scripps Company.
Community and Public Relations
- Serve as a spokesperson for the Fund and Foundation.
- Assure the organizations and their mission, programs, products,
and services consistently present a strong, positive image to
- Active in civic and professional organizations.
- Ensure the Fund and Foundation supports and serves the
communities in which The E.W. Scripps Company does business.
Partnership and Collaboration
- Work collaboratively with other private or public funders and
grantees for greater social impact.
- Help shape the agenda and decision making of educational
institutions and organizations, government, and other external
- Contribute to the national and local vision and thought
leadership in the Fund and Foundation's focus areas and
communicates this vision.
- Work with television stations and business units to raise funds
for local causes as well as to provide support for employees in
special cases of disaster.
Legacy and Culture
- Honor and commemorate the legacy, creativity and impact of The
E.W. Scripps Company, its founders and its historical leaders.
- Support and reinforce the culture and style of operation of The
E.W. Scripps Company and aligns the operations of the Fund and
Human Resource Management
- Ensure the Fund and Foundation have the talent needed to be
- Hold overall responsibility for building an effective team
committed to the Fund and Foundation's mission and organizational
goals and objectives.
Board Administration and Support
- Support operation and administration of the boards of trustees,
ensuring fulfillment of their governance function and their
stewardship obligation to donors.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- BS/BA in related discipline or equivalent years of
- Generally, 10+ years of experience in a related field including
- Experience leading a foundation, public charity or other
- Media experience and industry expertise are a plus
WHAT YOU'LL BRING:
- Strategic thinking and planning
- Project and program management
- Innovative thinking
- Strong communication skills
- Exceptional relationship development skills
- Flexible, collaborative, and facilitative
- Up to 30% travel
- Scripps offers a hybrid working option for this position