The Religion News Association (RNA) is
looking for an energetic, forward-thinking Director of Operations
to help lead the 75-year-old organization into the future. RNA
offers flexible hours and a remote working environment as well as
the opportunity to work alongside a volunteer board fully committed
to the organization's success.
Since 1949, RNA has been the premier
professional association for people who report on religion in the
news media. Our mission is to equip journalists throughout the
world with the tools and resources they need to cover religion with
balance, accuracy and insight. We envision a global community of
journalists who elevate religious literacy in the news
Director will work with the RNA Board to lead the organization,
with primary responsibility for:
- Serving and increasing RNA's membership.
- Organizing and planning RNA's annual conference and other
events (e.g., awards ceremonies, webinars).
- Marketing and administering RNA's annual Excellence in Religion
Reporting Awards contest, serving as the primary point of contact
for support staff (e.g., advertising sales contractor, business
- Building and streamlining internal systems to enhance RNA's
effectiveness in serving its membership.
- Carrying out fiscal tasks and managing the organization's
- Pursuing new funding opportunities in collaboration with the
Board of Directors.
- Overseeing the organization's web presence (website, social
media, monthly e-newsletter).
- Other tasks as agreed to with, or assigned by, the RNA
Applicants for the position should have:
- Minimum of two years’ experience in a non-profit operation,
preferably in a field related to journalism and/or religion.
- A keen interest in religion news.
- A value for diversity and inclusion, and the ability to work
across teams and engage a variety of stakeholders.
- Exceptional strategic, analytical, organizational and
decision-making skills with an appreciation for, and attention to,
- Demonstrated experience in soliciting gifts with a track record
of building donor relationships.
- Enthusiastic, self-starter capabilities with the ability to
work under pressure (e.g., deadlines, being the main point of
contact for the organization, etc.)
- Willingness and capacity to engage in self-evaluation with
regard to leadership, performance and professional growth and work
independently with moderate supervision.
- Excellent relationship-building skills, both externally and
internally, and the ability to publicly represent the organization
and manage interpersonal conflict.
- Flexibility and the ability to make thoughtful independent
decisions in a fast-paced newsworld environment.
- Persuasive and articulate communications and active listening
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power
Point, Outlook), Email (Campaign Monitor) and other web-based
services (AWS, Stripe, Squarespace, Zoom, Twitter, Facebook,
schedule is flexible, but the Director should be generally
available Monday through Friday, 10:00am – 4:00pm (U.S. EDT), with
additional work hours necessary to meet the requirements of the
position from time-to-time (e.g., during RNA's annual conference or
in the lead-up to major events). This could encompass evening hours
and weekend work. The position is remote and there are no strict
requirements for the candidate to live in any particular location.
The vast majority of the work will be conducted virtually, with
in-person arrangements required intermittently. Travel funds will
be made available for the Director when in-person work is
: The salary
range for this position is $60,000 – $65,000
based on experience.
: As a
contracted position, RNA is able to provide the following
- A remote, flexible work environment with the ability to pursue
- Growth opportunities based on paid time-off and holidays.
- A supplement for medical, dental & vision insurance.
- Discretionary funds for the hiring of support staff.
- Travel funds for RNA's annual conference.
- Commissions commensurate to the acquisition of new
: We are committed to an inclusive workplace and
actively seek to employ a diverse group of people who embody our
organizational values and reflect our organization's membership. We
welcome and encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply and
are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to age, ancestry, color, disability, ethnicity, familial status,
gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital
status, national origin, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy),
sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected
Please send a resume (max two pages)
and one-page cover letter addressed to Ken Chitwood, President of
RNA at firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for applications is March 1, 2024
Submissions will be reviewed and considered as received, with
interviews in March and a start date in April 2024.