The Senior Director,
Strategy and Operations for Medical Advancement is responsible for
facilitating the administration of the Vice Chancellor’s duties and
executing their strategic priorities. The position will work
closely with the Vice Chancellor, members of the VC’s leadership
team, and staff throughout Medical Advancement to advance
departmental priorities, implement new initiatives, and optimize
workflow and efficiency.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Serve as a thought partner and strategist to the Vice
Chancellor and Medical Advancement Senior Leadership Team with
regard to the evolution of areas under the Vice Chancellor’s
- Work closely with the VC to manage the VC’s personal
fundraising responsibilities related to caseload activity, donor
strategy and communications.
- With guidance from the VC, set meeting agendas for Medical
Advancement, create and generate weekly, monthly, and annual
reports necessary to keep track of progress for Medical
Advancement. Serve as a resource related to portfolio management
and coordination with Chairs and other key faculty.
- Provide leadership on strategic priorities and projects for
areas under the VC’s purview as assigned and represent the VC in
key meetings and oversee the execution of action items.
- Serve as the liaison between the Vice Chancellor and staff to
improve workflow, secure answers and approvals in a timely manner,
and ensure fulfillment on projects for which the AVC is integral.
Establish and maintain a deep familiarity with core programmatic
and operational activities across the department, including regular
engagement with UA staff, and other key partners and
- Provide leadership in enhancing communication and facilitating
resolutions surrounding departmental issues and concerns.
- Assist VC with management of daily operational functions of
Medical Advancement team.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the VC.
- Master’s degree.
- Experience in major gift fundraising, preferably in academic
medicine or healthcare setting.
- Keen understanding of academic medicine.
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement effective
cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies for
- Honesty, integrity, enthusiasm, and perspective; a very strong
work ethic, supported by commitment and follow through.
- Well-developed project-management skills. Organizational
skills and attention to detail are essential.
- Superior communication skills, both verbal and business writing
- Deep appreciation for and an ability to successfully articulate
the mission and aspirations of Washington University and Washington
University School of Medicine.
- Strong track record in helping plan, coordinate, and manage
complex projects and campaigns.
- Ability to listen carefully, learn quickly, and work
effectively in a complex, matrixed organization.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and desire to work
collaboratively; demonstrated ability to build and maintain
relationships with key stakeholders across University Advancement
and the School of Medicine.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of six years of related experience.
The salary range reflects base salaries paid for positions in a
given job grade across the University. Individual rates within the
range will be determined by factors including one's qualifications
and performance, equity with others in the department, market rates
for positions within the same grade and department budget.
If you are unable to use our online application system and would
like an accommodation, please email CandidateQuestions@wustl.edu or
call the dedicated accommodation inquiry number at 314-935-1149 and
leave a voicemail with the nature of your request.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be
required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position.
The screenings will include criminal background check and, as
applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen,
an employment and education or licensure/certification
verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or
governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon
successful completion of required screening.
- Up to 22 days of vacation, 10 recognized holidays, and sick
- Competitive health insurance packages with priority
appointments and lower copays/coinsurance.
- Want to Live Near Your Work and/or improve your commute? Take
advantage of our free Metro transit U-Pass for eligible employees.
We also offer a forgivable home loan of up to $12,500 for closing
costs and a down payment for homes in eligible neighborhoods.
- WashU provides eligible employees with a defined contribution
(403(b)) Retirement Savings Plan, which combines employee
contributions and university contributions starting at 7%.
- Wellness challenges, annual health screenings, mental health
resources, mindfulness programs and courses, employee assistance
program (EAP), financial resources, access to dietitians, and
- We offer 4 weeks of caregiver leave to bond with your new
child. Family care resources are also available for your continued
childcare needs. Need adult care? We’ve got you covered.
- WashU covers the cost of tuition for you and your family,
including dependent undergraduate-level college tuition up to 100%
at WashU and 40% elsewhere after seven years with us.
For policies, detailed benefits, and eligibility, please visit:
Washington University in St. Louis is committed to the principles
and practices of equal employment opportunity and especially
encourages applications by those from underrepresented groups. It
is the University’s policy to provide equal opportunity and access
to persons in all job titles without regard to race, ethnicity,
color, national origin, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity or expression, disability, protected veteran
status, or genetic information.
Washington University is dedicated to building a diverse community
of individuals who are committed to contributing to an inclusive
environment – fostering respect for all and welcoming individuals
from diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. Individuals
with a commitment to these values are encouraged to apply.